UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Repairing driver's seat bolster

Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Repairing driver's seat bolster

I drove my S2000 yesterday for the first time in two months (broken leg rather than neglect!) and I realised that (a) the car needs a thorough clean & polish; and (b) I need to sort out the driver's side seat bolster.

I've undertaken a quick search and read about the metal support bar cutting through the foam over a period of time. I've also seen UncleFester's comments about being able to detach the seat leather carefully using some pliers.

What I don't fully understand is (i) how easy it is to separate the seat top and bottom (so that I can swop the seat bottoms once the repair has been completed); and (ii) where online I could easily source some foam which would be suited to the repair task.

Has anyone undertaken the same task who could provide some advice/suggested suppliers?

Thanks.

PS Perhaps now is the time to fit a heated seat kit as well....
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't swap the bottoms, I used pliers to gain access to the foam and obtained some foam from a scrappy off a 2 year old written off car. I then built it up using foam and heavy duty black tape. It's held up almost a year on.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Swapping the seat bases is a piece of cake - only held in with 4 bolts Completely interchangeable.

The best bit about that is you put the perfect one on your seat, the repaired one goes on the passenger seat with the repaired foam next to the transmission tunnel so you really don't notice and nor does your passenger.

As for the bolster, it's advisable to put something between the foam and the bar on the new base as this will stop the same problem happening again. I used the same method as irvatron on my seat, PaulF and will most likely be doing the same for at least one other person.

Time taken? It's a couple of hours at the most
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
The best bit about that is you put the perfect one on your seat, the repaired one goes on the passenger seat with the repaired foam next to the transmission tunnel so you really don't notice and nor does your passenger.
Thanks UF. Your comment suggests that even the repaired bolster will not be "as good as new". Is it difficult to return the bolster close to its original OEM rigidity?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

In terms of support, no, it repairs fine - the only 'issue' is getting the old leather to go back to its original shape ..... just needs some massaging with leather cleaner / food to get it back to shape
Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I repaired mine with an old sponge packed into the crack, duck tape and a piece of cardboard up the side for support. When you swap the bases, the repaired piece will sit alongside the transmission tunnel so you can't tell it's been done once the cover is back on. As for rigidity, as the tunnel supports that side, no one will know but you.

It'll all be very obvious when you get the 2 seats out and take them apart.

It's really very simple providing you have some space to work.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:withstupid:

i used some firm sponges and gaffa tape.
hog rings can be prised open with a big screwdriver and pliers, so no need for new ones.
i remember some i had to cut, but they were replaced with cable ties as i had them available.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veehexx
hog rings can be prised open with a big screwdriver and pliers, so no need for new ones.
Or just use 2 pairs of pliers. Personally I'm allergic to pain and the sight of my own blood..
Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all of the advice Sounds like I need to collect an assortment of cereal boxes and sponges
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Swapping the seat bases is a piece of cake - only held in with 4 bolts Completely interchangeable.

UF, it sounds like the seat bases are not identical and so I won't swop mine around - I'll keep to the quick repair

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...ost&p=14930399

Quick Reply: Repairing driver's seat bolster