Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I'm bored.. So I'll post about my other "S"

Old 11-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm bored.. So I'll post about my other "S"

So I've been on a little car switching spree this year. It all started with a non running 1986 NA RX7 I picked up last summer. I found out after a bit of cleaning, that not only almost everything worked on the car, but it also came with a set of Tein coilovers. After a (not so quick) clutch change, the car fired right up and surprisingly, it even passed emissions, unheard of for an FC!!

Some progress pics:

Original mileage!!

Yes, that is the ring gear. Apparently the flywheel got so hot that the ring gear broke off That must have been one hell of a clutch kick!

Bad picture but that is the clutch, without any material left on it!

Speakin of clutch material...

The complete package!

I do miss this car dearly as it was cheap, and for the time I owned it, I didn't do anything but beat on it (aside from regular maintenance anyway). I took it to drift events, canyon runs, did clutch dumps, brake stands (47 psi in tires!) won trophies at a local Mazda club dyno best guess and lowest hp (I guessed 107.3 hp and made 107.2 hp)

After about 7 months, I sold the car (wanted to try something else...) and bought a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 5 spd with a whopping 180k miles It was quite honestly the biggest mistake of my car life (which isn't too long mind you).

It didn't look too bad with the 33s on there.

And this is kinda cool I suppose
After owning thing for about 5 months, and driving it maybe 500 miles at most, I finally found a buyer for it and sold it for what I bought it for!

Continued on next post..
Old 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM

A friend of mine (and a member of S2Ki) put his project car up for sale right around the same time I bought the Montero and I knew I wanted to pick it up. But I was now stuck with a Montero So as soon as someone bought that, I called my friend (literally about 20 minutes after) informing him I was heading over to pick his car up.

The car in question was a rather typical looking 1989 Nissan 240sx. And when I say typical looking, it had all the traits that you'd expect, multicolored paint, cracked dash, big muffler, the whole lot. Still, I didn't mind any of that since I now had an opportunity to finish it the way I wanted to. There was one problem though, The car hadn't been started for about 2 years and needed an alignment (-5.8 degrees of camber in the rear when it was finally put on an alignment rack!)

Anxiously, I phone Richard, (4Dcurvs) another member on S2Ki and one of the nicest people I've ever met, and he agrees to tow the car for me (Thanks again buddy! ) After two days of eternity, we meet up and drive down to Nick's place to pick the 240 up

The car being loaded up onto the trailer!
You can clearly see the 240ness in this picture.

After changing the fluids and adding fresh gasoline.. It's time to start this beast up to see if it runs and sure enough, it cranks over very slowly. The battery is so toast that it can barely turn the engine over. We try again.. a little better this time... We give it one more shot and viola!

It starts up.. on three cylinders at first.. four.. and finally all SIX are awake A sigh of relief, a joy of excitement of things to come

The previous owner took the liberty of swapping in a RB25DET from a 1995 Nissan Skyline GTST along with its transmission and a Haltech E11V2 to insure proper functionality.

I spent the next few weeks getting used to the car, and trying to get it through emissions (with no luck as of yet ) I must say, it's very exciting to drive! No one expects the car to be any quick (surprised a few people ) But it's also very quiet inside, the engine doesn't vibrate much (I6 ftw!) the power comes on and stays all the way through its 7400 rpm rev range and makes just the right amount of power to keep me in a specific time attack class in the local region

I'm more than excited to continue building onto what Nick (previous owner) has already made. Future plans include a bigger turbo, injectors, wheels and tires, brake rotors (already has 300zx calipers ) coilovers and a bit of aero work along with a roll cage by next year to turn it into a hopefully competitive but absolutely fun track car.

I posted this in here because I'd love to get some more tips about this car, the engine, and whatever information you may have! I hope you guys enjoyed the quick write up!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:22 PM

A quick little video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7yheK0sBME
And one from my friend's cell phone. Note that the speedometer doesn't work correctly, I'm thinking of getting a Racepak dash since it plugs right in with the Haltech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLLDU2De-o
Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 87 Turbo II, probably my funnest 6 months of car ownership. I had big plans for it until it went zoom zoom boom, and didn't have the money to rebuild the engine... Still think about that car though. Felt like a poorman's ferrari with the burgundy interior and no back seats.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by galiff
I had an 87 Turbo II, probably my funnest 6 months of car ownership. I had big plans for it until it went zoom zoom boom, and didn't have the money to rebuild the engine... Still think about that car though. Felt like a poorman's ferrari with the burgundy interior and no back seats.
I don't doubt it at all. I can't imagine how much more fun it was with more power! That FC weighed in at 2700 lbs stock, so after I took most of the interior and exhaust stuff off, it was probably a little over 2600 lbs!

I installed a set of Ksport Control Pro coilovers on the S13 today but I still need to adjust them. Hopefully this cures most of the slack issue but I'm willing to bet I need to go through and replace all of the bushings on the car to make it feel even remotely close to how tight the S2000 feels.. Slowly but surely!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice!!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dig the project, ive been playing with 240s long before i got my s2k. ive had about 7 and ive got a 97 right now which is my first kouki so im excited to see where it goes. im having to decide which car to put the power to. i cant make up my mind whaaaaaaaaaah
Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Thanks guys!

I suppose it's time for a quick winter update The car feels a lot better with the new coilovers, but there's still a bit of wheel hop. To cure that, I picked up some solid rear bushings from a local member and while I was at it, I went ahead and purchased some KSport front tension rods to replace the worn out ones when I finally install the Nismo Power Brace.

I tried to get it through emissions but unfortunately, it failed twice. Now I'll have to wait until I can source an "emissions legal" exhaust. It passed every test aside from NOX. I was running 91 and E85 mix with a boost leak but it still wasn't enough. After it does pass however, it's on like Donkey Kong!!

Future plans are to fab a 3 inch straight exhaust and mount the NT01s on either the BuddyClub Wheels I picked up:

Or sell the wheels and pick up a set of Enkei RPF1s to match the S2000 so if anyone is interested in the BuddyClubs, shoot me a pm.
I also need to find a Z32 brake master cylinder as the brakes feel like complete trash right now. There was a track day on January 15th that I wanted to make but I don't think the car will be road legal in time.

I'll post more pictures up soon, but I hate how it's so multicolored and ugly. Any unique ideas for paint/wrap?
Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by USAF_S2K
dig the project, ive been playing with 240s long before i got my s2k. ive had about 7 and ive got a 97 right now which is my first kouki so im excited to see where it goes. im having to decide which car to put the power to. i cant make up my mind whaaaaaaaaaah
Wow 7?! Nice! I'm in love with the way the power comes on in the RB. Complete rush and with the tires on there now, the car loves to step out just a tad to let you know it wants to have fun.

The S2000 is more like an elegant mature lady rather than a school girl if that makes any sense. S2000 is all business in terms of handling. It knows what you want it to do as soon as you feed an input and does exactly that with perfection as long as you don't push her around too much. And if you do, it lets you know a few moments before it chews your head off.

The S13 however feels a lot more forgiving, it wants you to flirt with the limits of grip and if you go too far, it playfully lets you know. I haven't gotten a proper alignment on the car yet but the S13 doesn't feel like it would be too much of a handful on the track. Both cars are fun and rewarding to drive in their own right, but I have to say, the S2000 is in its own league given the joy it provides when you drive it right.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 AM

New picture:

New update:
With the coilovers installed, I finally got some free time to install the Nismo Power Brace and K Sport Tension Rods.

I also got the Nitto NT01s mounted up. I haven't tested the car or the limits of the tires as it's in a dire need for an alignment, but it does turn in nicely and surprisingly there's plenty of front end grip so it doesn't plow much.

This car has been very interesting to say the least. It attracts more attention at meets than my S2000. I think it's due to people expecting it to be like any other 240sx with maybe a KA turbo or something. Speaking of the engine, every single time I've gone to a meet and popped my hood because someone wanted to see what I had done to it, it instantaneously attracts a crowd. I am really surprised at the amount of "fanboy-ism" this engine receives.

Hopefully this weekend a friend of mine can weld me a straight exhaust so I can finally hear the roar of the RB as it's way too quiet for my taste right now, and also install the solid rear subframe bushings and do a transmission/diff flush as well. Oh I almost forgot the biggest update of all, the car is now street legal so I've been driving it a lot lately and enjoying making the choice of S2000 or S13.. Now if only it weren't so ugly..

Quick Reply: I'm bored.. So I'll post about my other "S"