UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wiring up some extra speakers

Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wiring up some extra speakers

Hi all,

I've now got some new(ish) roll hoop speakers form a MY06+ car for my MY00 car.

My current aftermarket stereo has 4 speaker output - the front left & front right connected to the 2 door speakers.

I have run the rear left & right wires to the panel behind the seats in anticipation of getting the new speakers.

My problem : Each hoop has 2 speakers in them, giving me a total of 4 speakers to connect up, and as you can guess, I am not sure how to connect them up, or if indeed, something extra is needed.

All thoughts & opinions welcome.

[attachment=23627:roll hoop speakers.jpg]
[attachment=23628:roll hoop speakers 2.jpg]

Thanks
Bharat
Attached Thumbnails Wiring up some extra speakers-roll-hoop-speakers.jpg   Wiring up some extra speakers-roll-hoop-speakers-2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think each hoop has a left and right speaker. never really noticed or tried playing about with the balance on mine but with them being next to each ear it would seem the only way to do it.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by NineBolts
I think each hoop has a left and right speaker. never really noticed or tried playing about with the balance on mine but with them being next to each ear it would seem the only way to do it.
Are you saying that I need to wire up both the left speakers (in each hoop) to the stereo rear left channel, and the same again for the right hand side ?

This would mean that if I balance the sound to the left, I would get sound from the passenger front speaker, and sound from the left speaker in each hoop, both passenger & driver). Is that correct ?

When you get an opportunity, would you mind checking for me.

Thanks
Bharat
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Is it not a woofer/tweeter arrangement? Left is left and right is right?

EDIT: This may be of some help http://www.handa-accessories.com/S20...2kheadrest.pdf
Old 07-12-2012, 03:21 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Left is left and right is right?
Wise words indeed.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 AM
UK Moderator

EDIT: This may be of some help http://www.handa-accessories.com/S20...2kheadrest.pdf

Thanks, but I don't think these are the ones that I have got.

I have updated the original post with a couple of pictures, showing the hoops with the speakers.

Thanks
Bharat
Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSM139
Originally Posted by NineBolts' timestamp='1342091428' post='21853525
Are you saying that I need to wire up both the left speakers (in each hoop) to the stereo rear left channel, and the same again for the right hand side ?

This would mean that if I balance the sound to the left, I would get sound from the passenger front speaker, and sound from the left speaker in each hoop, both passenger & driver). Is that correct ?

When you get an opportunity, would you mind checking for me.

Thanks
Bharat
Think of each roll hoop as big headphones. set the balance to the right and it would then come from the right ear of both the driver and the passenger.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

OK, it looks like you have two similar speakers in each hoop, and you are supposed to run both a left and right channel to each hoop.

I forget whether it would be better to run them in parallel or in series - fester?

A better idea altogether (if you haven't already done so) would be to sell the rollhoops, get some doorcards from a later MY and install really good component door speakers.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, it looks like you have two similar speakers in each hoop, and you are supposed to run both a left and right channel to each hoop.

I forget whether it would be better to run them in parallel or in series - fester?
I agree, you will probably have to splice the original connectors in any event to make this work.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BSM139
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1342091926' post='21853534

Thanks, but I don't think these are the ones that I have got.

I have updated the original post with a couple of pictures, showing the hoops with the speakers.

Thanks
Bharat
Sure looks like a midrange-tweeter arrangement. If so there should be a crossover filter somewhere. May exist out of a single condenser
So speaker wire connects to filter. filter has 2 outputs - tweeter - midrange

Quick Reply: Wiring up some extra speakers