Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Back of the Dragon - Marion to Tazewell, VA

Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back of the Dragon - Marion to Tazewell, VA

We ran the Back of the Dragon yesterday and I've never seen the road conditions this good. They replaced the gravel runoff with asphalt, and the pavement is excellent beginning to end. No gravel or sand in the middle section (or anywhere for that matter) which has plagued us in the past. We were able to run both mountains without a car/bike in front of us. This really changes my opinion of this beast of a road. If you're coming anywhere near Marion, VA on the way to or from DFR, I highly recommend taking a run up and back, as the experience is totally different in each direction. http://backofthedragon.com/
Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's awesome to hear. I think Artin and I will have to go check it out sometime next year!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 974 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by scammedon
We ran the Back of the Dragon yesterday and I've never seen the road conditions this good. They replaced the gravel runoff with asphalt, and the pavement is excellent beginning to end. No gravel or sand in the middle section (or anywhere for that matter) which has plagued us in the past. We were able to run both mountains without a car/bike in front of us. This really changes my opinion of this beast of a road. If you're coming anywhere near Marion, VA on the way to or from DFR, I highly recommend taking a run up and back, as the experience is totally different in each direction. http://backofthedragon.com/
Are you at the Francis Marion? If so, say hello to everyone for me. If I had been able to get away earlier....
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We didn't stay at the Gen Marion. We just checked in at Fontana a few minutes ago.. Hit the Snake on the way down. First mountain had a small section of rough road but otherwise great. Second mountain was perfect. Another amazing road not to be missed.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scammedon
We didn't stay at the Gen Marion. We just checked in at Fontana a few minutes ago.. Hit the Snake on the way down. First mountain had a small section of rough road but otherwise great. Second mountain was perfect. Another amazing road not to be missed.
Take a leisurely drive on the Parkway to 276 south and then head on over to Sierra Nevada. You will NOT be disappointed.