S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

spark plug TSB is now a recall

Old 08-10-2002, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spark plug TSB is now a recall

my dealer performed the spark plug TSB and indicated that it is now a recall...
they now replace the plugs with a different size plug. i dont have the old plug info anymore (they covered it up in my manuals with the new info- with stickers), but the new ones are:

NGK PFR7G-11S
or
DENSO PK22PR-L11S

does anyone know enough about spark plugs to recognize the diff between these and the ones that came with the car?
i wonder why they had to change...
Old 08-10-2002, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume this only for OEM plugs right? If we replaced the OEM plugs with different ones we don't need this fix?
Old 08-10-2002, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by S2K Power
I assume this only for OEM plugs right? If we replaced the OEM plugs with different ones we don't need this fix?
good question...
i would guess that you do need to change them, since they were put in to replace the old size plugs, and the plug size (?) has changed- i see that the new plugs have a different torque pressure than the old ones...
i assume that you need to make sure that your plugs are compatible with the new ones indicated in my previous post.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got my recall notice today. The notice says it has to deal with the spark plug gasket. Original part number was: NGK PFR7G-11. The "S" means stailess gasket (per NGK data). . The recall says there is a possibility the engine light may come on due to misfire....guess they don't want to mention you can blow your motor .

Utah
Old 08-10-2002, 06:10 PM

interesting utah...
they change the plugs and even make us chage the owners manual to reflect the correct plugs (new size). i know that the TSB said it was for gaskets, so its interesting that they are also changing the plugs!
Old 08-10-2002, 07:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this is exciting. The only other recall was for the seatbelt.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 AM

i think they decided on changing the plugs all together with teh gasket ring to minimize future issues. i am sure its not that much more of a cost issue to just take care of it now, vs having to deal with bad plugs later.

I would think that those who already changed the OEM plugs with something else only need check the torque setting used (18# vs the 13# listed in the manual)
Old 08-11-2002, 05:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wanabe
[B]my dealer performed the spark plug TSB and indicated that it is now a recall...
Old 08-11-2002, 05:09 AM

That DENSO plug is PK22PR-L11. Let me not add to confusion by my bad typing.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
Just got my recall notice today. The notice says it has to deal with the spark plug gasket. Original part number was: NGK PFR7G-11. The "S" means stailess gasket (per NGK data). . The recall says there is a possibility the engine light may come on due to misfire....guess they don't want to mention you can blow your motor .

Utah
Ignore my posting. Thank you, Utah S2K. I think I took 2 Stupid Pills rather than 1 first thing this morning.

Quick Reply: spark plug TSB is now a recall