S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Strange Electrical Issues After AEM EMS

Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strange Electrical Issues After AEM EMS

Since having a new engine put int, I've had the erratic speedometer issue a few times but nothing major or long term.

Now I'm having had new issues after installing my AEM EMS v2 and having it tuned on last Friday. My tuner has tuned many S2000's and other cars. We even installed a tune from a different car that we know runs fine.

First, my tuner said that the wideband reading on the EMS was not matching that of the gauge and thought that was. Then as we were tuning, the A/C stopped working (checked the relays they were fine) and would only work intermittently. Then, the car was hard to start. The voltage at the Alt was in the high 12's and seemed a little low even when reving it. Finally, the starter sounded like it wasn't engaging (like a bad bendix). I was able to get the car home and turned it off and on a few times and the starter worked. I put the OEM ECU back in and when testing the voltage at the alt, it read 13.35 regardless of RPM. The A/C seemed to work fine on the OEM ECU, but the starter still didn't work every time.

Car started fine on OEM ECU after sitting all weekend. Alternator read 13.3/4 with no accessories on but between 11.9 and 12.5 with lights, a/c, and radio on.

I've read that the erratic speedometer can be caused by a bad ground (specifically the one on the rear of the head). That seems tight but It's tough to get back there to check more.

If anyone could point my in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Ended up being a loose ground wire on the bottom of the block.

Problem solved.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome !!

I was about to say check all your grounding that could have been miss in the engine swap
Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM

I think it backed its way out. I'm going to put some locktite on it when I do the next oil change.

It started a few months back with the erratic speedo. Then is was acting like a low battery from time to time. Finally, after having it on the dyno for an hour or so it really started acting up.

I was able to see that the impedance between the engine (anywhere on the engine) and battery was 6.2 ohms vs .0/.01 ohms on the rest of the car. Once I saw that I knew it had to be one of the engine grounds. I used a heavy amp power wire to jump from the battery ground to the engine and saw the impedance drop to normal. That confirmed it. As soon as I crawled under the car I saw it.

I wish I had seen when installing the O2 for the wideband. I was right in the area but was in a hurry.