S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flickering Dash Lights

Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering Dash Lights

I thought I would share my experience with an issue I resolved, just in case some of the other members come across the same problem.

I noticed one evening driving that my dash lights were quite dim. I accelerated over ~45mph and the dash lights went back to normal brightness. Ignoring this as normal function, due to the 100+ degree weather, air conditioning full blast and electronics I carried on. Battery was only ~3 months old; relatively new.

Over the next few weeks, the dash lights were gradually getting even more dim. I did some research and chalked it up as a faulty / failed alternator. I bought a refurbed Denso for ~180 from Partsgeek and installed it this past Sunday (9/24/16) early in the AM so I could be ready for Football in the afternoon. After installing and replacing the hardened / broken vacuum lines I broke, I took it for a spin; same problem. The dash lights were dim and now the idle was so low / rough, it was close to stalling.

After more frustration and research, I thought it would maybe be a faulty / dirty MAP or IAC. Got home from work, cleaned out the IAC ; it wasnt bad. Checked the MAP and cleaned connections; wasnt that bad. Test drive and same result, except now it stalled.

More research and read a few Billman posts. Checked all fuses and everything looked fine. Thought about the grounds being bad / dirty, so I disconnected the battery and moved the wires out of the way. The ground wire for the battery to body pretty much feel apart as I moved it out of the way.

Went to advanced bought a new ground, replaced, started car and took for a test drive. Car is running much smoother and the problems are gone. Could be running a little better with the additional actions I took, but Im sure the brittle wire replacement helped just a little.

So ~$180 fix vs ~$10 fix. Lesson learned, but at least the problem is resolved. Figured I would share the story in another member comes across the same problem.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Thanks, for sharing! Grounding issues seem to rear its ugly head, with various symptoms.

Good motoring!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad that worked out for you. I'm still struggling.

I've replaced the battery to body ground wire, and I'm on my second remanufactured alternator, and I still get flickering dash lights.

Apparently the rectifiers are rarely replaced when alternators are remanufactured. The alternator will past a standard function test (like you'd get at an autozone or mechanic), and keeps the battery charged, but the inconsistent current causes the flickers.

Before installing my second reman alternator, I removed the rectifier, and did a function test with a multimeter. It passed, while the rectifier from my first reman alternator failed. I installed the 2nd reman alternator in the car, and it worked fine for a few weeks before reverting back to flickers. Fortunately it has a one year warranty, but I'm getting tired of playing alternator roulette.

So, I'm torn. A reman alternator is only $120-180, but just a brand new rectifier on its own is $190, with no warranty or return backing it up.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's always the possibility of another ground being faulty or having a poor connection. I cleaned up the grounds that are in the front as well. Just in case.