S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mystery flashing cel..

Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mystery flashing cel..

Hey guys, I ghost cel and honestly I cant figure it out.

Year: MY02
Miles: 112k
Oil consumption: Roughly 1.5 quarts per 1,000 miles. (Which is normal for my driving style, been that way since I got the car with 60k miles)

I know a flashing cel means DONT DRIVE IT but I cant ever seem for the cel to stay on and it drives perfectly normal. It ONLY flashes when I'm in 6th gear staying on the gas flooring it from around 65mph to around 80mph then vanishes once I let off. I think thats around 3500 rpm to around 4500-5k rpm if I'm not mistaken?

During city driving I never see the cel, which is really weird as I mainly drive city and dont see the flashing cel for 2-3k miles at a time. No power loss and no misfires. It really only happens when I'm in 6th and flooring it to pick up some speed to merge onto the highway. If I'm on the highway in 6th driving regularly not pushing it I never see the flashing cel.

Any ideas or would the best option is to get a obd2 sensor and recreate the situation where it flashes (aka: go on the highway on 6th and floor it with a obd2 plugged in hoping it will pick up the code so I can figure what the hell it is?)

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiSca.../dp/B001LHVOVK
Was looking at a cheapo obd2 sensor to just get the job done
Edit: obd2 scanner wont work

Here's a clip of just city driving, that rattle is the seat hitting the factory roll bar by the way and the glass clings is a bobble head lol. Dont mind the big pot hole in the beginning

Well I took the highway home today and got the cel to flash and then stay.

I then remembered that one time it flashed and it did stay solid when I was going out to go eat one day. But when I was going home from eating it was gone and I forgot about it for a while. I took the video because I thought it would happen again and yup, turned off

Last edited by s2cho; 10-26-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Yeah, I'd try to get that CEL error number. Maybe, it's still stored in the ECU memory?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Yeah, I'd try to get that CEL error number. Maybe, it's still stored in the ECU memory?
Had my local auto zone try to pull the code but nope, nothing there. Apparently he needs a light for him to be able to pull a code. I'll just buy the cheap obd2 sensor and hop on the high way and cross my fingers that it can pick up the code. Really really weird tho, I can take it up to 9k in every gear without a problem as in no flashing cel. This one has me stumped.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 PM

This is very interesting...

Here's a clip of just city driving, that rattle is the seat hitting the factory roll bar by the way and the glass clings is a bobble head lol. Dont mind the big pot hole in the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCRSxKjKJs

Well I took the highway home today and got the cel to flash and then stay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-vpDXC76E

I then remembered that one time it flashed and it did stay solid when I was going out to go eat one day. But when I was going home from eating it was gone and I forgot about it for a while. I took the video because I thought it would happen again and yup, turned off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQjZzlPsIY0

I'm at a loss, I guess I could try and get it to come on again and drive straight to a autozone and have them pull the code. Anyone have any other ideas? All stock except a greddy ti-c exhaust with matching test pipe. Do you think its possibly the tp thats giving the cel? But then again I never heard of a tp causing a flashing cel
Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Is it possible that it could be stored as a pending CEL?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cho
.. It ONLY flashes when I'm in 6th gear staying on the gas flooring it from around 65mph to around 80mph then vanishes once I let off...
How did you floor the gas pedal in 6th gear? Pedal to the metal? And was it uphill?

Maybe you were lugging the engine too much, try downshifting to 5th.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Is it possible that it could be stored as a pending CEL?
Not too sure, I tried to pull it once before but there wasnt anything there. Ill swing by autozone tomorrow and see if they could try and pull anything again. Seems like after a few miles of city driving it clears the code up right away. So I have no clue what this cel is all about

Originally Posted by kukudm
Originally Posted by s2cho' timestamp='1477362584' post='24091292
.. It ONLY flashes when I'm in 6th gear staying on the gas flooring it from around 65mph to around 80mph then vanishes once I let off...
How did you floor the gas pedal in 6th gear? Pedal to the metal? And was it uphill?

Maybe you were lugging the engine too much, try downshifting to 5th.
About 30%, but at +4k rpm 30% throttle is basically WOT. And I'm pretty sure its not lugging the engine, and it was a level straight shot on the highway. At 4,000 rpm I highly doubt that its considered lugging the engine. But f@#k do I know about anything I cant figure this shit out lol
Old 10-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Well I've been pretty busy and couldnt go to a autozone, I'm planning on doing some maintenance this week/week end hoping it'll fix it.

Ill be doing
-Air filter change (pretty dirty, last changed around 20k miles ago?)
-remove catch can hoses back to factory locations to see if thats the problem (breather filter could be clogged up)
-get a new pvc valve

If those dont fix it
-Get injectors cleaned with the cool machine
-possibly get new spark plugs (from my knowledge the ngk BKR8EIX (iIridium plugs) last like 60k-100k if I'm not wrong, last changed around 30k miles ago)
-kick the car
Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Add buying a code reader and posting your stored code(s) to the top of the list...
Old 10-26-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Add buying a code reader and posting your stored code(s) to the top of the list...
If you watch the third youtube vid I posted you'll see why thats impossible. All codes are cleared once I turn off the car, and also its a crap shoot to get the cel to stay solid.

But an obd2 scanner wont do any good after talking to some people who are familiar with obd2 sensors. The steps for nearly every obd2 sensor is
1). ignition has to be off
2). plug in
3). turn ignition on
4). scan

But looking at that third video I posted, the cel vanishes once ignition is off and turned back on. My friend told me the the higher end obd2 scanners like the Autel's can possibly do real time scans but the cheaper ones can only read stored codes. So getting a code is very unrealistic near impossible unless I'm trying to spend 3 grand on a obd2 system which I'm not going to do lol

Last edited by s2cho; 10-26-2016 at 02:55 PM.