UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

To those of you running a standard air intake...

Old 08-24-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Manufacturers don't spend millions of pound on research and manufacturing just for fun...
No but they do have a design brief which is full of compromises to ensure that their product suits all of their potential customer base and the mpg/noise levels/emissions for the around the world markets into which they will sell.

Modifying cars is moving the parameters to suit your personal requirements to overcome the 'catch all' design which the car was sold with, as long as you are aware that by changing something for what you personally deem to be a positive can have a detrimental effect elsewhere...its like a sliding scale with Honda having set everything in the middle .

Personally I like some intake noise and I like some exhaust noise which standard I think the car lacks, finding the products which offer the right levels is the challenge as there are some truly shocking products available in the aftermarket car parts arena.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Raffe
Originally Posted by johnckeen' timestamp='1440419182' post='23724202
Manufacturers don't spend millions of pound on research and manufacturing just for fun...
No but they do have a design brief which is full of compromises to ensure that their product suits all of their potential customer base and the mpg/noise levels/emissions for the around the world markets into which they will sell.

Modifying cars is moving the parameters to suit your personal requirements to overcome the 'catch all' design which the car was sold with, as long as you are aware that by changing something for what you personally deem to be a positive can have a detrimental effect elsewhere...its like a sliding scale with Honda having set everything in the middle .

Personally I like some intake noise and I like some exhaust noise which standard I think the car lacks, finding the products which offer the right levels is the challenge as there are some truly shocking products available in the aftermarket car parts arena.
well said that man
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a fake Spoon snorkel to the OEM air box.

Seemed to help with the heat soak in traffic a bit. I believe it gets a tiny bit more top end, but barely worth noticing.

But then again, I don't like farty intakes/rice pipes anyway.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An aem intake adds power for sure, not a lot but around 5 or more bhp on a standard na car.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Yes but also looses 2/3 down the bottom
with a snorkel CAI +OE air box and mod may be better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA
Old 08-30-2015, 04:04 AM
MSC

Nothing wrong with OEM at all, they did a great job. I got an FIPK for a few reasons, I love the induction noise, better throttle response, they look good (not that I particularly care for looking at engine bays from a 'pretty' perspective) and it gave me something to fiddle with that I knew i was capable of doing (which is rare!). Not sure it adds any BHP at all, I cant feel it anyway.

When I initially got the car I did the old lid off thing, but it sounds a little too much and a bit rough imo. The obvious loss of a few BHP and the bogging down was awful, especially in the hot summer.

What did work well and gave a bit more noise was cutting away the divider in the air box, as Spoon do (might be wrong, correct me if so).
Old 08-30-2015, 02:38 PM

The OEM airbox can certainly be improved on, but the gains per cost are extremely low.

You buy an aftermarket filter for the noise. Some people are happy with just taking the airbox lid off. Some people are happy with a quieter car.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Yes but also looses 2/3 down the bottom
with a snorkel CAI +OE air box and mod may be better
https://www.youtube....h?v=xwNtjKT_1cA
Good link. According to my calculations their CAI added about 9bhp at the crank.

I waited 3 years before modifying my car this year, and ended up buying a second hand Mugen intake which I'm pretty sure has made a modest difference (along with a manifold and exhaust). It may not make more power than the CAI they tested, but it's quiet and so livable on a daily driver. When stock, my engine was louder than the exhaust. Now the exhaust is a little louder, which I think is a much better balance. It also has more torque from 3k to 4k making it feel much less flat footed around town.

The only intake I'd swap it for is the PWJDM, which I'd have bought by now if they were half the price. A second hand Mugen intake is good value given its quality and the possibility of selling it for something close to its purchase price down the line.

I've never seen anyone test a snorkle on a rolling road, which is funny considering how easy it would be. Does anyone have any data to share? I'm also not convinced that gutting the stock airbox won't lose power. Here's a chart showing the difference between a Mugenfest, CAI with a decat and Blueflame exhaust vs stock car. [attachment=84569:TDi-South-stock-s2000-dyno-Mugenfest-vs-stock-AP1-vs-eb-intake-decat-blueflame-exhaust.png]

Attached Thumbnails To those of you running a standard air intake...-tdi-south-stock-s2000-dyno-mugenfest-vs-stock-ap1-vs-eb-intake-decat-blueflame-exhaust.png  
Old 08-31-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

PWJDM
Yes would like that work of art under the hood
Old 09-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a spoon spec OEM box with an uprated JR filter, first with a muz snorkel then later an AUT panel

All the benefits of a CAI, with none of the drawbacks

heres a howto guide https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/116...hl__airbox+mod