UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Short Engine & Gear Box Required - 09 model

Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Short Engine & Gear Box Required - 09 model

I've done this one separate from the 09 model problem thread as I realise people don't probably read that thread if they aren't affected.

Following over a year of various noises which my local garage have and haven't heard, the S went back in this week for a whine on the gearbox. I asked them to re-investigate the noise at 2-2.5 revs which is an on-going problem.

They've just rung me and advised they've given it a complete going over and put in a warranty claim for a short engine and gear box and Honda have refused it. They've spent a lot of time on the phone to Swindon but got nowhere. They are just as frustrated as me but knowing the problems other people have had, I don't blame them at all. I appreciate that HUK don't know what the problem is (or actually will admit there is a problem) so whats the point of fixing something that isn't a known fix.

I've asked for a full report but they've advised that at this point they are unable to assist any further.

So basically my question is.....where does that leave me? What do I have to do to get this resolved?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Independent inspection? I'm guessing the sump is off at least or there is a lot more in bits than this? If the car is still under warranty and HUK refuse to sort it I would look at paying out for an independent inspection which should then hopefully identify that the problem is nothing to do with driver abuse.

In the mean time write a letter to HUK saying you refuse to accept that there are no problems with the vehicle and that you expect it to be sorted for free. Also get it in writing from the dealer you took it to what the problems are that have been identified and what they think the cause of these problems are. That will ensure that it rules you out of the equation so that they can't point the finger at the way you have driven and maintained it.

You can then present the information to and ombudsman such as the OFT or consumerwatch etc. and see what they have to say about it.

I have been following the 09 thread and can't believe the hassle and problems everyone has been getting. It's disgusting to be honest.

Something has to have changed otherwise the problem wouldnt be occurring. Its just like the earlier models drinking more oil than the later ones. Components get changed but its whether everyone is made aware of what is changed and why.

I really hope you get this sorted and I'm really sorry to hear of your situation.

Alex
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a warranty claim for some wheels turned down a few years ago. There was confusion on Honda's part as to when the warranty expired as my car was a euro import. However the wheels were clearly defective and not fit for purpose as they had been replaced twice in the life of the car already.

An email to Steve Dyer copied to Ken Kier with the threat of properly justified legal action if the matter was not resolved resulted in immediate agreement.

Unfortunately, i suspect it won't be that easy for you.

Having gone through the stress of a number of engine replacements in my various S2000's (thankfully all under warranty) i sympathise with your predicament. Its not nice.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:38 AM

Steve Dyer has proven to be next to useless and I know other members are being told by him that he's passed it on - end of! Honda Customer Service at its best.

I feel, as does another member I have just spoken to that the only way forward with this is legal action but possibly only after 20+ of us turn up and block Swindons car park entrance along with a friendly photographer and reporter from an auto mag
Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What he's told other people is irrelevant to your situation. Their complaints and situations are not connected to your warranty claim refusal as far as you're concerned.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Copying in Ken Keir (head of Honda Europe) is a good idea.

Has the engine actually failed?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 AM

The car has been in and out for over a year with the same noise. I've even taken it back to Bristol Honda because I felt my dealer in Grimsby wasn't listening to me. They've replaced the exhaust system as they thought it was that. They've checked the end float and it's within tolerance (as most have been that have had short engine replacements).

It went in this week as a whine has developed on the transmission and I raised the problem with the noise again. The car is driveable but with an obvious problem that isn't going to go away, it's only going to get worse. BTW Mick did say it's the best one he's driven and she does still drive fantastic just noisy and sounding rough. When I collect the car, I'll get the full report.

I've been gathering all the engine problem information for Ian and it makes for sad but interesting reading but the reoccuring theme is the lack of involvement from customer service and there really has only been one member that is finally getting anywhere but that has involved lengthy dialogue, shouting, screaming, threats, lots of tears, fuel and time spent kicking tyres at the local Honda garage.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Unbelievable - I have been following your story pretty much from day 1 and can't believe how Honda just aren't sorting this out!

I second floppy with an independent inspection and a trip to the Office of Fair Trading/Trading Standards..
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

It's Slough, CJ not Swindon

Have you been in touch with Steve personally? Have you spoken to Bokkie?

I have some advice for you but details are on mu PC at home, and I got a blue screen of death yesterday night!! On my phone at the moment but will try and sort it later!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 AM

You are quite right Ian, it was Swindon I went to to see the factory floor.

Would you mind contacting me and advising where the club are with this and a time frame on when an email is going out to members regarding the issues and the information collated so far. I appreciate you are a busy person but I think it's fair to say, this issue isn't going away and backing by the club will assist greatly before we go down to SLOUGH armed with pitchforks

Quick Reply: New Short Engine & Gear Box Required - 09 model