Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

September 14 AutoX Event

Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k

Thank you! I still over drove and was not nearly smooth enough, but not bad for essentially my first time. I think I am going to try to get out and door more of these. The car is setup so perfectly right now it is a waste to not use it.

That is a bummer. This means we need to setup another event and do this again soon. I had a great time, thanks again for setting it up.

It was fun! Maybe someday you can come out and run with us
I think you'll be a good competitor of " hollywood" guy. He drives black AP2 in STR class. rest of us, keep trying to beat Sharon someday before she retires!lol
Old 09-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435

I don't condone running extra mods or cheeter tires, but I wouldn't worry about it. Accept for in Novice, you wont be knocking on the door of the main STR competitors for a while. Not saying you aren't good, it's just the nature of the sport and takes most people a while to get down. At least a year unless you have a lot of experience Karting and/or are some prodigy (they are out there). I've sat in a Novice's car that was incredibly fast for their 3rd or 4th event. to truely be competitive, unfortunately you will need a better front swaybar to make your car a slalom beast.

You can spend 1-2 years in Novice depending on if you trophy and or even make it to enough races to trophy. I wouldn't worry about it untill someone in registration calls you out.. . It's just Novice IMO.

To play nice with everyone in Novice though, it would be ideal if you went and talked with the people in your Novice category and cleared the air about your tires

My car is basically a STU car but I have three reliability mods that basically take it out of the class. I'd probably get called out by people if I ran STU, especially after I get my suspension up to snuff.
-Big ass radiator
-no mechanical radiator/engine fan
-no traction control throttle body (yes, this car has a weird extra mechanical throttle boddy for traction controll) it's a failure pt for racing and is anouying to turn off the TC before every run) give maybe 3 extra HP. well within HP noise of someone having a freshly rebuilt motor.. .
• Novice: A Novice is defined as someone who has less than one year of experience in autocross, has entered less than 6 events in the AZ Region and who has not received a trophy in any class/category in an AZ Region autocross. Competitors in the Novice class may ride with others prior to their own competition runs without penalty. This rule is to encourage Novice competitors to learn from more experienced drivers and reduce DNF's and getting lost on course in their first few events.

So it's ok to ride along before the run if you are in novice. I didn't know untill I'm out of novice..
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes, 46s would have been the ideal STR time bc that's what Jay Balducci put down.
I had to lay off the throttle as well. I tried to just pick a smooth line/arc that set me up well into the slalom.

I don't even think a miata on R-comps could stay flat out through there bc of the surface and surface temps.

The local hot shoes to compare yourself to for STR times are

Jay B. (Nationaly competitive driver in STR)
Stephen K. (when he drives a proper STR car but he has a STS miata now that needs developed)
Brian P. (wasn't there. he's a multi-National champ in many cars, an Alien. Don't even expect to be within 2 seconds of this guy for a year or so)
Clint C. (wasn't there. runs a STX Acura Integra Type R but also jumps into other cars)
Jeff B. for PAX time only

there are others I could mention.

When some of the CSP cars are on fresh rubber, comparing PAX times with them is good. Sometimes they use less than ideal AutoX rubber though so you have to see if they are using the good stuff every now and then. They try to use Value tires like the road racer spec Hankooks.

Thanks you for the names! It looks like I am not too far off. Yes I expect to have to put some time in to find those final chunks of time. I am sure I can easily knock 1.5-2sec off my time, but the last bit will take time!!

Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1410796928' post='23331517

How do people locally feel about sticking to the rules? My tires are 180tw which means they are not in spec for STR...I think treadwear is trivial when it comes to typical street tires (RE11A, RS3, ADO8, Rival, DZII) but not sure if people I may compete against would feel the same way.
I don't condone running extra mods or cheeter tires, but I wouldn't worry about it. Accept for in Novice, you wont be knocking on the door of the main STR competitors for a while. Not saying you aren't good, it's just the nature of the sport and takes most people a while to get down. At least a year unless you have a lot of experience Karting and/or are some prodigy (they are out there). I've sat in a Novice's car that was incredibly fast for their 3rd or 4th event. to truely be competitive, unfortunately you will need a better front swaybar to make your car a slalom beast.

You can spend 1-2 years in Novice depending on if you trophy and or even make it to enough races to trophy. I wouldn't worry about it untill someone in registration calls you out.. . It's just Novice IMO.

To play nice with everyone in Novice though, it would be ideal if you went and talked with the people in your Novice category and cleared the air about your tires

My car is basically a STU car but I have three reliability mods that basically take it out of the class. I'd probably get called out by people if I ran STU, especially after I get my suspension up to snuff.
-Big ass radiator
-no mechanical radiator/engine fan
-no traction control throttle body (yes, this car has a weird extra mechanical throttle boddy for traction controll) it's a failure pt for racing and is anouying to turn off the TC before every run) give maybe 3 extra HP. well within HP noise of someone having a freshly rebuilt motor.. .
Ok sounds good, this is what I figured. I don't plan on running cheater parts, it is just the tires that I have that are out of spec for the class. If I get out more I will try to meet competitors and let them know and see how they feel.

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az
Michael, Hiro, and I ran the July event on the same course. In reviewing the results form that event, we all improved. Great job guys.

Michael 52.906 vs. 51.752 - 1.154 sec improvement!
Hiro 56.246 vs. 55.708 - .538 sec improvement!
Sandeep 56.231 vs. 52.243 - 3.988 sec improvement!

I think I'm starting to get that AutoX bug. Maybe I need to sign up for more events.
Great job everyone!! Yesterdays conditions were tough. I plan on getting out to more events, so let's sign up as a group for a few more events. I think we should maybe run in different groups so we can do some ride alongs and instructing.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 PM

I have more pics, compliments of Madhav. He was gracious enough to grab my camera and take shots for us, I just provided the camera, editing, and posting. There are more to come!

DSC_0244 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
DSC_0231 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
DSC_0207 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
DSC_0318 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
DSC_0306 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
DSC_0286 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM

DSC_0199 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
DSC_0271 by Adrs2k, on Flickr
Old 09-15-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks Madhav and Adam!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by leshiro99
I think you'll be a good competitor of " hollywood" guy. He drives black AP2 in STR class. rest of us, keep trying to beat Sharon someday before she retires!lol
LOL. She is good running about 1 second slower than Adam.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Thanks for coming out to watch Madhav. Nice to have some support from the community. Nice pics.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by leshiro99
• Novice: A Novice is defined as someone who has less than one year of experience in autocross, has entered less than 6 events in the AZ Region and who has not received a trophy in any class/category in an AZ Region autocross. Competitors in the Novice class may ride with others prior to their own competition runs without penalty. This rule is to encourage Novice competitors to learn from more experienced drivers and reduce DNF's and getting lost on course in their first few events. So it's ok to ride along before the run if you are in novice. I didn't know untill I'm out of novice..
Where can I find the rules around classes for the AZ region? This is good to know. I'm thinking of doing the Nov. 1 Novice school at AMP.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az

Where can I find the rules around classes for the AZ region? This is good to know. I'm thinking of doing the Nov. 1 Novice school at AMP.
Driving school is great. I strongly recommend it. I'm not sure if I can make it this year but some people actually come out from other states for this. I'll be there for sure following day event.

Quick Reply: September 14 AutoX Event