Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Billman's Modified TCT Purchase

Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put close to 2000km on my toda TCT and done 4-6 track days and still no noise.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_barry
Did some experimenting with manonastick yesterday. I put a pressure gauge on his TCT so we could see what was going on with pressure vs rattle. Then tried a few different TCT's inlet orifice sizes measuring the pressures at idle and high rpm.

Think we have exorcised the skeleton in the timing chain. Will report back once he gets some miles on it.
Thanks for the update

Looking forward to the results.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Did some experimenting with manonastick yesterday. I put a pressure gauge on his TCT so we could see what was going on with pressure vs rattle. Then tried a few different TCT's inlet orifice sizes measuring the pressures at idle and high rpm.

Think we have exorcised the skeleton in the timing chain. Will report back once he gets some miles on it.

subscribed
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM

When I installed the new Toda TCT I did notice that the oil bolt screwed in much further than on the OEM one (I copied this picture from another thread);

Chris: Would you know what impact this may have?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a good look at this area as I've noted this in other threads. I cannot see any benefit in countersinking the oil bolt as it just puts the nozzle further up the centre of the inner worm gear. Its not going far enough to act as a hard stop on the piston. It also went up the inside of the inner spring so again doesn't change the preload.

The testing we did showed that increasing the oil feed size increased the idle speed pressure inside the TCT and stopped the noise. The 1/16( 1.6mm) people are using in other threads is way too big and results in so much oil it overloads the internal relief valve once the rpm increases. The more appropriate size is somewhere between the original 0.75 and 1.6mm size. I only had a limited range of drills in the shop so I've ordered in some tiny drills in the 0.8-1.1 range and a new collet set for my mill so I can fine tune this better.

I'd be interested in any used TCT's people have floating around so I can have some stock available for a prisoner exchange program.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

I have one I can send you. PM me your address.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a TCT as well.. link to my Ozhonda thread. My link

After further research and contacting the different suppliers, i have decided to go with Ballade Sports. They are willing to do a Group Buy special for anyone else here in AUS that might be interested. They manufacture the TCT, not rebuild an OEM one. If anyone is interested in the Ballade Sports TCT and would like to know the pricing, PM me and i can send to you what Ballade Sports PM'd me with. Basically need a minimum of 5 buyers and we get a 10% discount plus we save on shipping cost.

ALPS
Old 06-25-2013, 05:39 PM

I had a good look at this area as I've noted this in other threads. I cannot see any benefit in countersinking the oil bolt as it just puts the nozzle further up the centre of the inner worm gear. Its not going far enough to act as a hard stop on the piston. It also went up the inside of the inner spring so again doesn't change the preload.

The testing we did showed that increasing the oil feed size increased the idle speed pressure inside the TCT and stopped the noise. The 1/16( 1.6mm) people are using in other threads is way too big and results in so much oil it overloads the internal relief valve once the rpm increases. The more appropriate size is somewhere between the original 0.75 and 1.6mm size. I only had a limited range of drills in the shop so I've ordered in some tiny drills in the 0.8-1.1 range and a new collet set for my mill so I can fine tune this better.

I'd be interested in any used TCT's people have floating around so I can have some stock available for a prisoner exchange program.

Hi Chris,

Billman seems to have cracked the code on this one. i wonder what oil feed size he uses.
Thanks for your ongoing research mate. it will benefit the whole s2k community
Old 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sent Billman to ask he would be prepared sharing experiences and got no response either way.

Once I have the drill bits I'll be able to "calibrate" the feed hole size to the test vehicles. Hopefully the right size will be the same so I can use that on a prisoner exchange program.

Any used TCT's kicking around your garages would be appreciated. If you can post to me by cheapest possible mail I'll reward your generosity with some good Karma.

Chris Barry
Parcel Locker CN 10012 50717
2 Herbert Street
St Leonards NSW 2065
Australia
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM

ok Chris, i'll pass the word around and see if people can send their old TCT's to you.