Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Imola

Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Apr 23 2006, 10:29 PM
Ferrari were lucky it was a no-passing circuit.
Yes and no...

I'm a huge FA fan, and, I'm a huge MS fan. And as a huge FA fan I can clearly admit what I believe to be fact. MS broke FA down, clear and simple. MS's extensive experience and skill is still something to be contended with. FA kept pushing and pushing looking for an opportunity, but the longer he pushed the more he started to crumble. From my point ov view he just could not handle the pressure and after making several errors and slipping back he finally came to the conclusion 2nd place is better than DNF, but it took him a while and he got himself rather close to the DNF before he figured it out though.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 24 2006, 07:33 AM
And as a huge FA fan I can clearly admit what I believe to be fact. MS broke FA down, clear and simple. MS's extensive experience and skill is still something to be contended with. FA kept pushing and pushing looking for an opportunity, but the longer he pushed the more he started to crumble. From my point ov view he just could not handle the pressure and after making several errors and slipping back he finally came to the conclusion 2nd place is better than DNF, but it took him a while and he got himself rather close to the DNF before he figured it out though.
100%!

Not only that - I don't think MS was as slow as he was - ie he was sandbagging.

FA was only 2/10s behind MS - however after MS' pit stop he was still ahead of FA.

Now if FA had fuel in the car, they should have been able to short fill him - gaining time in the pit - but he didn't....
Old 04-24-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Apr 23 2006, 10:29 PM
i found it funny that the lollipop guy actually rammed the lolli back down and kept it down as if to stop the car Watching that lolli biff Jenson was hilarious.
WHACK!

This was an all time classic, one I don't intend to forget for a while...

Honestly though, I'm thinking the entire team should consider themselve very lucky. Fire is something that can have very explosive outcomes. I will never forget the spetacular Ferrari/MS fire, seeing MS sitting in his cockpit fully engulfed in flames was a very scarry sight. I'm still suprrised with the full hose ripped right off the fuel nozzle and with fuele gushing all over something did not combust it. Damn lucky!

Old 04-24-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by fx991,Apr 23 2006, 06:05 PM
it didn't really have anything to do with what you said, sorry. If you watched the race on TSN (up here in Canada) they get the ITV coverage (IMHO is one of the best) of the F1 race. Martin Brundle stated that Shumacher had used 6 of his dry sets of tyres in free practice and quali, and only had used tyres and one new set for the race.
So he was running on used rubber, whereas Alonse was on fresh rubber for the race, hence the drop off (Shumacher was on fresh rubber for the 1st stint, used rubber for the rest of the race). It really was a trade-off for performance in quali vs. race, and in this case it payed off, if it were at a track that had more passing opertunities, maybe Alonso would have been able to pass, but that's a whole other issue all together.

Hope that helps
!

But if you go back and read my post, you will see I am saying the same thing!

The tire compound is not up to what Ferrari need it to be...

Ferrari is still testing against the F2004 car because that car+tire was a good setup.

2005 the compound had to change in order for the tire to last. The suspension had to change so to not eat up all the tire.

2006 back to 2004 rules but the suspension/compound is still under development....
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 AM

oh and....

Ferrari will make the one-hour trip back to Maranello on Monday happy with their Imola breakthrough, but wondering how the triumph nearly slipped away.

Four factors will play on the red-coloured team's mind.

First, had F1 been at a track like the Nurburgring, quickest man Fernando Alonso would almost certainly have found a way past slower race leader Michael Schumacher. Second, just how much was the runaway title leader ever going to risk in order to take a stab up Michael's inside?

Third, a few more degrees of Italian sunshine might have further 'grained' the Bridgestone tyres out of speed. And, lastly, Renault's questionable decision to pit Alonso early for his last pitstop almost certainly sealed the Spaniard's second-place fate.

Initially grumbling about tyre drop-off, Germany's Schumacher admitted that an investigation into what happened - particularly in the second stint - would need to take place.

''Maybe I damaged the car over a kerb or something,'' said the 37-year-old, confused about the three-second per lap struggle in contrast to earlier pace.

Schumacher totally rubbished one theory, namely that Ferrari's mighty practice and qualifying pace was due to using all but one set of Bridgestones prior to the grand prix. He explained that the errant second and third sets on Sunday were indeed 'new'.

Team boss Jean Todt, meanwhile, agreed with the analysis that the entire paddock had expected cooler weather.

''The tyres we had were a bit too soft for the conditions,'' he admitted.

Of course, there is one final consideration, which Schumacher mulled over on Sunday afternoon.

He said after the race: ''We were competitive except for when something was wrong with the car. But Renault felt less competitive here than elsewhere.''
Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 AM

Was Kimi in the race? I don't recall CBS mentioning him...

Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 AM

Don't forget that Pat Symonds made a huge mistake by bringing FA in early. Cmon dude, obviously Ferrari will react to that and bring in MS on the very next lap. If FA stayed out on schedule, he would certainly have passed MS in the pits. Symonds
Old 04-24-2006, 05:54 AM

oh I agree that was a HUGE mistake! When he went in I was like WTF??? But seriously don't you think they should have been able to make up 2/10s by short filling the car? If FA's car was really that much faster, his out lap should have gained him 2/10s but it didn't.

Also if you look at the lap times Shane posted (THANKS SHANE!) MS' pit stop was actually 1.5 seconds longer....

That time had to come from MS' in/out laps or FA was slow on his in/out laps...

Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ITR Racer,Apr 24 2006, 08:34 AM
Don't forget that Pat Symonds made a huge mistake by bringing FA in early.
I have to admit, I was wondering what was wrong when FA came in, I was having a hard time thinking this was just a planned strategy.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 AM

Marco, FA caught up to some traffic which slowed his out lap. Something again Pat Symonds and his crew should be anticipating when making that decision. See Honda isn't the only team with poor race control. Well not poor but compared to the mastermind at Ferrari, all the other teams seem stupid.

Excuse me for saying this, but a part of me thinks Schumi was playing with Alonso with his slowing down as necessary not to mention Massa deliberately slowing Alonso down during the middle of the race....

Quick Reply: Imola