Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Long Beach Proves CART Still Lives

Old 04-15-2002, 08:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Long Beach Proves CART Still Lives

I have been going to Long Beach on and off since 1976, but this last one yesterday was without a doubt the best one I have ever been to. Of course it major helped that my goofy sister-in-law somehow got us hooked into a couple of pit passes...yes pits, not garage passes. We were in the working pits both Saturday and Sunday so it was awesome.

Be that as it may, the CART race was truly exciting and a popular win for Michael (powered by Honda of course). Nice to see two Americans on the podium and Mad Max also added to the pleasant results. Only 19 starters but quality all through. And the Trans Am again kicked major booty...I have always been a Butch Leitzinger fan but now even more.

I realize the IRL only just had its first event in Southern Calif. but isn't it significant (as I mentioned in an earlier post) that Long Beach drew over 220,000 for the three days to see a series that Joe Heitzler (and others) tried to kill over the past few years while the crowd at Fontana was "a bit less"? I mentioned to my buddy on Saturday that there were more people waiting in line at noon for lunch at King Taco than were at that entire pathetic IRL/Grand Am weekend at California Speedway.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh and it seems that Michael Andretti has finally started to control his weight, and not be a total porker like Paul Tracy..

-simon2000
Old 04-17-2002, 04:47 PM

Yeah I guess Michael's new wife is a trainer of some type.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:52 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 918 Posts

I've been to all three days of all 28 LBGPs and this was definitely one of the best, even though the weather was crappy for 2 of the 3 days. The turnout was great. This in spite of very little advertising this year -- no Wednesday LBGP advertising supplement in the LA Times for the first time in memory. I think the problem with CART is that none of the other venues are as successful, although the turnout for CART at California Speedway has always been good.

We went to the Saturday Grand Am Rolex 400 of the IRL weekend and I'll bet there weren't 5,000 people there. 15,000 on Sunday. The IRL sucks and Tony George is a complete jerk.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by The Raptor
The IRL sucks and Tony George is a complete jerk.
C'mon, George, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Do you thing any of the foreign venues (Europe, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Japan) will be more popular than the average US venue?
Old 04-18-2002, 02:21 PM

Bill-

Ok, Tony George is the racing Antichrist, spoiled brat, asshole who is trying to single handedly destroy American open wheeled racing, I'm taking my marbles and going home, pompous ass, prick.

I think all the foreign venues will be more popular than the average American venue -- look at the turnout for Monterrey. The problem is that the American sponsors are not thrilled with this -- look at Marlboro and Penske.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:54 PM

I am definitely not an IRL fan....the cars sound crappy, look wimpy and there is no road racing. How can Tony George represent his oval-only series as Real American Racing when we have such a rich tradition of both oval and road/street courses to draw upon? Unfortunately the combination of the Hulman-George familys deep pockets, ownership of the Speedway and the 500, and the incredible bungling of the last couple of CART administrations has reduced us to the present state of affairs.

One caution at designating Tony George the Racing AntiChrist...he has brought us the US Grand Prix, after all.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:20 PM

Good point. Let me rephrase that. Tony George is the American series open wheel racing Antichrist.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by The Raptor
I've been to all three days of all 28 LBGPs and this was definitely one of the best
That would mean to include the inaugural F5000 as well, eh? I had to miss that one but I went to many (not all) starting in 1976. The one I regret missing was the 1977 when Mario had that great battle with Scheckter and Lauda. I firmly believe if Bernie had given Chris Pook a break back then on the sanction fee and expenses we would still have 2 strong F1 events in the US every year and a great selection of American drivers to support. Interest in F1 was growing in the late 70's. there was TV coverage and we had Mario in it. Others would have followed with the US sponsorship that would have been generated. And although it may not have rivaled NASCAR by now it would have been a significant player on the US racing scene.

Just a theory. I guess this one the other day reminded me a bit of '77. Less drama but pretty good.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:21 AM

Yes, I went to the first F5000 event. I met Chris Pook there. I agree that with lower sanctioning and event fees, we would still have f1 at Long Beach. When Mario passed Lauda and Schecter in his Lotus to win, we were sitting on top of my van at the fence with a 40 foot long gold and black "Go Mario" sign on the fence. The LA Times LBGP advertising supplement the next year featured a picture of us on the van, the sign, and Mario flashing by. This thread is bringing back some great memories.

Quick Reply: Long Beach Proves CART Still Lives