Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Awhit's GPW AP1

Old 06-04-2019, 03:48 AM

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
This is the coolest looking clutch choice & therefore the best. Let us know how it feels.
Will do. I have driven an S2000 with the Exedy Hyper Single and I expect it to feel pretty much exactly like that, except for less flywheel effect. That clutch is not bad at all to drive IMO, you just cannot slip it for over ~1 second without some pretty decent chatter since it has a pucked disc.

Originally Posted by RAizzle
Looks pretty. I always wondered how an Ojisama kit would feel compared to stock
It should feel very close based on the parts it uses. It has a heavier flywheel that I would guess weighs 10.5-11 pounds and based on the pictures I have looked at, it uses an Exedy stage 1 organic disc (which like most aftermarket discs is actually larger in diameter than the OEM one). It looks like the most significant difference is that the Ojisama has an aluminum pressure plate cover instead of the steel one that normally comes with the stage 1 Exedy.
The following users liked this post:
RAizzle (07-11-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:56 AM

So here is the final tally of items that will be used to refresh and upgrade the rear of my AP1 soon:

Rear differential
- Puddymod stage 1.5+ upgrade
- 4.56 Richmond ring and pinion
- OS Giken Spec-X LSD
- Spoon ring gear bolts
- Greddy high capacity cover
- OS Giken diff mounting bolts
- OS Giken fluid

Supporting cast
- Puddymod axles
- Spoon axle spacers
- Spoon rear differential mounts
- Spoon toe arms

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these affect the feel of the car, especially the 4.56 ring and pinion and the OS LSD! I will be using the OS-250R fluid for the initial fill and then will switch to the OS Giken 75-140 fluid to see how it goes. As long as the 75-140 doesn't make the diff unbearably loud I will use it long term. This fall is shaping up to be a lot of fun for driving

Last edited by awhit17; 06-16-2019 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (12-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

How long have they made the 75-140 oil? Didn’t even know it existed.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:31 PM

It’s been around a while. I’m not really sure why it’s not marketed much in the US.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

I think it's discontinued.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 AM

I would be surprised if it was. I ordered mine a couple of months ago and it was in stock and there was no notice of "hey we are going to discontinue this". I think it's probably the price point that makes is not as advertised, it is more than the 250R as it's a GL-6 fluid.

They also advertise it in the Toyota 86 section of their Japanese site which is one of the newer pages. OS doesn't do the best job of consistently updating things haha

Last edited by awhit17; 06-17-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

ooooh nice selection of parts you have there!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by awhit17
Most people on here seem to (understandably) be looking for the most compliant Clutch they can get for the amount of power their car is making. If that is your goal, this is not going to be the Clutch for you. But if you are like me and prefer the feel of a sharper clutch and want to minimize total weight and inertia, this is a great choice.

The Toda clutch is basically an Exedy hyper single that is breathed on a little bit by Toda. The friction disc is literally the same exact part number as the Hyper Single Exedy. The difference is the flywheel is a Toda unit, and the pressure plate cover has some material CNC’d out of it to further reduce weight. Toda also states they balance the Clutch assembly before sending it out.

When I was looking for a Clutch I knew I wanted something that was lighter and more aggressive than the typical OEM/ACT combo, so I quickly focused solely on Exedy/Toda, OS Giken, Ogura and ATS. Don’t get me started on the budget offerings from Competition, CM, etc…. The number one reason I stuck with the Toda was that it uses a pull style diaphragm like the OEM clutch, so there is no need to use a motion conversion kit. The OS Giken kit is nice but pretty freaking heavy, and the ATS kit is disappointingly janky looking.

The Toda also has the smallest friction disc - 200mm - which should help with lowering inertia a good bit. The OS discs are 215mm on their more streetable clutches, which is actually a little larger than the OEM disc. The ATS disc is even larger but weighs nothing due to the material so it likely has similar or less inertia than the Toda/ Exedy.

Anyway, to keep from rambling the Toda was the lightest and most straightforward option that met my goals. I was minutes away from purchasing an ATS carbon clutch but decided I did not have the appetite to live with the potential downside of the carbon disc. Just like LSDs, I could talk about clutches all day so I’ll stop there haha.
I had the Exedy Hyper Single Ceramic clutch in a S/C S2000, it was terrible. Heavy pedal, not usable on the street and a lot of noise. I swapped it out for a Science of speed 325 kit and 11.5 lb flywheel, this is a much better clutch setup for street usage(OEM pedal effort and no noise).

The Toda F20C/F22C OJISAMA Sports Clutch KIT 26000-F20-R00 is a better street clutch and comes with a 11lb flywheel. I plan to get this clutch in the future for my NA build.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM

I am not sure how much you actually read my post that you quoted, but I agree that there are quite a few better clutch options than the one I have if you want something that feels like oem. I prefer a sharper more aggressive clutch in something I don’t drive every day though.

I also think your statement that the Exedy hyper single is not usable on the street is a bit of an exaggeration. It’s certainly not OEM pleasant but it only chatters if you slip it a good bit. Not surprising considering the pucked disc.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by awhit17
I would be surprised if it was. I ordered mine a couple of months ago and it was in stock and there was no notice of "hey we are going to discontinue this". I think it's probably the price point that makes is not as advertised, it is more than the 250R as it's a GL-6 fluid.

They also advertise it in the Toyota 86 section of their Japanese site which is one of the newer pages. OS doesn't do the best job of consistently updating things haha
Yeah it's weird they only list it in one place. https://www.osgiken.co.jp/86/lsd.html https://www.osgiken.co.jp/pdf/oil-gt01r.pdf Let me know how it works out for you. The 80w250 has been fine for me but I would imagine a fluid that thick might rob a tiny bit of power.

Quick Reply: Awhit's GPW AP1