Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!
View Poll Results: Matte? Yay or Nay
Keep the Matte Grey Vinyl Wrap
0%
Lose the Wrap and show the Monte Carlo Blue paintwork
100.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Monte Carlo Blue AP1 UK Restore

Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that blue is a billion times better
Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Furthering a little bit more throughout the restoration and build.

Cleaning the car up decided to completely strip the interior out, give it a full clean, maybe rust remedy the floor plan and put the interior back in.

^^^ Rear fog light glue had diminished, my dad gluing it back in LOL

^^^ Sockie Tech hood dampers/struts in place. They seem to be very powerful, as soon as I undo the bonnet release the bonnet shoots up with quite a force. Not sure if this is good or not... Also K&N FIPK Gen 2 installed, makes a beautiful sound.

And finally I just wanted a bit of advice on how to go about cleaning the bottom half of the block, I hate opening my bonnet and seeing the gunk on it, just on how to make it nice and shiny again

A few good parts coming soon so updates will be on the way!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 AM

I was going to remove that timing chain cover and clean and paint it then reattach... quite an easy job and will make an improvement on the bay itself!

For the rest of the head (clean), there are products out there... I have the same issue with my intake manifold as well, looks horrendous!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Brake cleaner does a great job of cutting through gresase and general engine grime. Just don't get it on the paint.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Got a few more things done on Tuesday, spent about two hours removing rusted bolt on the front end of the car, an absolute nightmare.

Clean up the engine bay slightly, also Tegiwa radiator, PasswordJDM gold rad stay, PasswordJDM gold dress-up kit.

Removed some pieces and plastic trims and resprayed; new wipers, wiper blades, new windscreen fitted and heat shield resprayed.

And some more things to come and be fitted over the weekend. D2 Coilovers!!!!!!

Hopefully an exhaust system goes up for sale soon, a Q300 system or a BuddyClub Spec II would be great!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 AM

Coilovers have now been fitted again an absolute nightmare as with everything I try to do to this car!!!

Tried replacing the callipers last Tuesday and spent all day trying to remove the brake disc screws, ended up drilling them out. Also tried placing the track rod ends and I have been unable to remove the seized alignment bolt that locks the end together!!! Starting to hit a brick wall, spending all day outside on the car and nothing seems to be getting done I think my neighbours are starting to hate

-------

Had a few problems again all in all as listed below.

Couldn't remove bottom bolt on the exhaust heat shield, the one underneath the 2 main visible bolts to install the Engine Torque Damper.

Secondly couldn't install HEL braided brake lines and couldn't remove the 10mm bolt with the flared spanner so goodness what I'm gonna do...

The plan with the AEM wideband is to install on the righthand side of the dash, I have removed the dash surround and will just have the start button with the AEM wideband, as the controls for the head unit do not work as the previous owner had changed it to an aftermarket one.

More updates soon with proper pictures!!!

UPDATE : 7 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Still progressing through the build. Tried the blowtorch on the exhaust manifold and no joy Will need to buy a 12mm hex spanner or just try to destroy the bolt as it will coming off soon with the new manifold on the way.

Engine torque damper is partially on the vehicle until I remove the heat shield. Front brakes are now complete with the HEL braided brake lines, resprayed the callipers red and installed the front bump-steer kit; front section is done! Until I get some more parts lolol

As per my previous post with the AEM air/fuel ratio gauge I will be cleaning the dash layout to what is a necessity for me when driving. Most likely will remove the A/C at a later stage for track use next year.

Also couldn't get the drive shaft spacer in due to the awkward location of the bolts while the car is on stands, and rear calipers being off the car, they will be on soon. Will also replace the rear toe arms probably with the exhaust when it arrives.

The rust has now been ground all the way back to metal and is being treated. The great thing is that it's only surface rust, the whole underneath of the vehicle is done and all the open and bare section of the chassis. What the car looks like at this moment in time.

And finally all dings have been beaten out of the S2000, everything has been filled in and sanded to be as smooth as a baby's bottom

More to come soon!

b]UPDATE : 14th September 2014 - 09:10 PM[/b]

Very small update guys.

Finally got my head round to remove the rusted bolts.

Bought these, and they worked an absolute charm.

Also, felt slightly bored with the gold engine bay washers. So i decided to take them all off and spray them all black including the PWJDM radiator stays.

Finally got this little helper on!

All the milky blue/black staining that you see on the inside of the arch and on the arch lining is rust remedy. It worked within 10 minutes and then I painted all the inside black with hammerite black.

Got my hardtop which will be wrapped in black

Pretty much wraps up my day today.

Bonnect latch ending up breaking just as I was finishing up today as the wind slammed the bonnet shut. Replaced the right hand side spring, pieced back together and it was all good.

More to come soon hopefully

UPDATE: Haven't started the vehicle in nearly 2 months so just tested till engine was warm...

Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM

UPDATE : 19 September 2014 - 20:43

Hi guys.

Hope everyone is well.

Ordered some 3M wrap from a UK supplier and started wrapping the hardtop!!!

Finally got the clear side markers from Germany

I absolutely love this piece \/\/\/

Not much was done today. spent about 3 hours trying to put my rear view mirror on with the new windscreen, took about three hours :bang head:
After that was done I clipped on the broadway mirror which I love.

More to come soon!

-------

Did the AEM gauge after work today.

Very happy with the result and ready to go in the dash, just awaiting the wiring to be completed and once the manifold is on the vehicle should all be working well.

Pics from start to finish...

From the day of the idea.

Till tonight.

Test fit.

Done. Still got the wrapping on the face of the gauge. Will leave it on until it's in the car.

More soon!