Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by WhyW' timestamp='1429662797' post='23586581
But I thought you were switching to 12K F/R once you went to a square setup, or are you keeping 10/10?
I plan on testing it out pretty thoroughly with the 10/10 setup. But I think 12/12 will be the better setup in the long run so I will try that at some point. The 10/10 setup feels great so far but I think I could use more lateral roll stiffness especially on track. So I am going to try out roll bars first and go from there. Which won't necessarily chance the balance just increase the roll stiffness overall. From there I may add additional roll center adjustment to fine tune the balance if necessary. I prefer to not have to use the roll bars to dial in the overall balance so I can use their full range for fine tuning per track.

How often do you attend track days?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
It appears to me ASM uses the same type urethane bushings for the sway bar as well unless you're looking at something different?
Pretty sure they use the same bushing as OEM.

Originally Posted by arsenal
How often do you attend track days?
I think I have gone to 12 different track days since getting the car 2.5 years ago? I haven't gone to any yet this year due to work and trying to diagnose that stupid clicking issue. (Which is no longer an issue!) Hoping to make a Sonoma/Laguna double header coming up next month. I put in around 30min to an hour of actual seat time a week about 40 weeks out of the year in the mountains. Sometimes much more.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by WhyW' timestamp='1429660527' post='23586537
Why the ASM? Evasive, Rob Walker, and plenty of people (including myself but that's not saying anything at all) run the Eibach sway and it's a great piece for 1/4 the price of the ASM. Plus the Eibach is adjustable too. In fact Rob posted a review on the Eibach and seems to really like it. You may have seen it already, it's on s2ki somewhere.

Here's the link
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought the Eibach front bar on its stiffest setting was only slightly stiffer than the AP1 '00/'01 front swaybar? I was considering getting the Eibach but found a '00 bar for cheap and just opted to run that.

You're correct. It's a small overall percentage but it can achieve stiffer than Ap1. It also has an option for running softer, which broadens the use range on the eibach bar over the OEM.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat. Some like to do so with bar, some with spring - but overall these mods all serve as different tuning points to get the harmony of the suspension just how you want it. No car will drive the same on every track, which is why having these options available can be beneficial. This discussion can get uber-lengthy so I'll just leave it at that
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
There are multiple ways to skin a cat. Some like to do so with bar, some with spring - but overall these mods all serve as different tuning points to get the harmony of the suspension just how you want it.
I want to add one comment here ... sway bars have a somewhat nonlinear effect, in that first you have to compress the bushings, before the bar acts as a spring. Maybe that's a non-issue, if you're running stiff bushings. With a street car on rubber bushings, maybe it's not.

I prefer to get most of my roll resistance from springs rather than bars, because they're 100% linear, and therefore *potentially* more transparent in feel.

JMHO.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by grubinski
I want to add one comment here ... sway bars have a somewhat nonlinear effect, in that first you have to compress the bushings, before the bar acts as a spring. Maybe that's a non-issue, if you're running stiff bushings. With a street car on rubber bushings, maybe it's not.

I prefer to get most of my roll resistance from springs rather than bars, because they're 100% linear, and therefore *potentially* more transparent in feel.

JMHO.
I'm with this guy.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1429746733' post='23587893
There are multiple ways to skin a cat. Some like to do so with bar, some with spring - but overall these mods all serve as different tuning points to get the harmony of the suspension just how you want it.

JMHO.

Originally Posted by grubinski' timestamp='1429814605' post='23588781

JMHO.
I'm with this guy.

Correct. I prefer the softer spring and more bar. It goes to preference. Kinda the beauty of tuning.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Correct. I prefer the softer spring and more bar. It goes to preference. Kinda the beauty of tuning.
Definitely. I think it comes down to how much spring one prefers. Square setup definitely has me thinking I need more bar, but not too much more. I wouldn't be surprised if I get the ASM bars and maybe try out a Eibach front, ASM rear combo setup. I always should preface when I say I don't like something it actually means, I am going to try this other thing first but it doesn't mean I wouldn't buy and use the thing I say I don't like.

Bottom line with sway bars is that they are much easier to adjust and change than spring rate is. It's not incredibly difficult to swap out springs, but ride height is always going to change slightly as well so it all has to be accounted for. If you adjust ride height to compensate for new springs then alignment will change, and so on.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1429815882' post='23588817
Definitely. I think it comes down to how much spring one prefers. Square setup definitely has me thinking I need more bar, but not too much more. I wouldn't be surprised if I get the ASM bars and maybe try out a Eibach front, ASM rear combo setup. I always should preface when I say I don't like something it actually means, I am going to try this other thing first but it doesn't mean I wouldn't buy and use the thing I say I don't like.

Bottom line with sway bars is that they are much easier to adjust and change than spring rate is. It's not incredibly difficult to swap out springs, but ride height is always going to change slightly as well so it all has to be accounted for. If you adjust ride height to compensate for new springs then alignment will change, and so on.
So when are you going to buy the stoptechs to try it out
Old 04-23-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
So when are you going to buy the stoptechs to try it out
Idk man. I hate their logo.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Hahaha thats my reason too

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II