Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

what mic set up did you use? i've been looking for something for myself with no luck thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by WhyW
Have you been using the audio setup on your latest videos? I noticed a sound change in the last one. Sounds good
That was a test of another setup. That was with my portable recorder mounted between the seats on the Modifry mount with a fur windscreen over the mics. Recording a car at speed with the windows open is very difficult. The sound on that one was pretty good but it is sort of muddy because I had to EQ it so much to cut out some wind noise. The modifry mount sort of puts the mic right in the kill zone in terms of wind noise.

So far the best option for driving with windows down is putting a mic in the passenger side cargo net with the mics facing towards the engine bay and still with lots of wind protection. The latest video I will be uploading sounds excellent. I recorded with the windows up and with my new setup that is basically a pair of earbuds (Roland CS-10EM) that also have mics on them, so they really are recording what I hear with my ears. I combined that with my usual sound recorder in the cargo net and it sounds really good, and best listened to with headphones.

I am going to keep experimenting with mic placement and see what I can come up with. I think running an additional mic to the trunk could work pretty well, and I might try mounting some small mics in the cabin in a spot that is protected from the wind turbulence. Maybe right behind the shoulder harness openings since I think my body sort of protects that area from the wind, but they would still pick up sound and give a great stereo effect like the mics in the ears setup.

I will take some photos of the mic setup once I have tested everything. It's great withs sound recording because all of the theory in the world doesn't mean shit until you just put a mic somewhere and hit record.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bouford
what mic set up did you use? i've been looking for something for myself with no luck thanks in advance!
It's a bit silly really since I am also pretty into sound recording as well so I doubt you want to take it as far as I have been. But my recommendation to anyone recording with a GoPro is to first simply mount it in The Frame mount that they offer. You will get significantly better sound from the camera's onboard mics that way. And it will sound pretty damn good if mounted in a spot like the Modifry windscreen mount or somewhere else inside the car.

If you want even better sound I would recommend getting a portable sound recorder. You can run a external mic out of the GoPro but the sound will have a bit more noise that way, and having the GoPro audio to combine with additional audio can give a better sound in my opinion. If you want to run directly to the GoPro I would recommend finding a mic that you can wire to the GoPro and put in the passenger cargo pocket. I use a Tascam DR-100 MkII recorder but there are many other cheaper options that will get excellent results. The Zoom H4N is a popular one as well. Both of these have onboard mics that are quite good and allow you to run additional mics if you want to get crazy. A setup like this will require you to manually sync your audio in post or use something like Final Cut Pro X (what I use) that can automatically sync up audio. I also spend a good amount of time EQing and adjusting the sound until I get it sounding good. It's a bit of a production.

If you already have a GoPro and don't want to go crazy with a bunch of mics. Get The Frame mount and I bet you will be pretty happy with the results. The newer GoPros (Hero3 and later) get much better sounding audio and video.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

looking forward to these new videos
Old 06-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Bump for some CE28N 17x9.5 +47 action, and no, I don't care if you're on vacation.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:14 PM

I wasn't on vacation I was traveling for work. My friend finished up detailing my car as well on the day I got back. He did a pretty thorough paint correction, applied a fancy new coating, steam cleaned the interior and set me up with a really simple regimen to keep the car clean from now on. I will get some much better photos with my real camera of course but the car is looking better than ever!

I will be trying to get the CEs on asap but not sure exactly when it will happen yet.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

One of the things I do keep my car clean when a "real" wash isnt needed and is nice for people that live in apartments is to use the "Waterless" washes. I was skeptical for so long(I actually bought a bottle of Optimum No Rinse 3 yrs ago but sat unopened for 2yrs!) but once I figured out how to do it, I do it frequently now.

I fill up my bucket(I actually use a cooler, so I dont look like a weirdo trying to get an orange Home Depot bucket with water to my garage spot, people just think I'm going to party :-) ) with water and add the "Soap" when I get to the garage and then throw 5-7 REThickulous microfibers(yes, thats the brand) and let them absorb the water as I get situated. Then I can pretty much just ring out the towel on the panel I want to wash and still have a soaking wet towel to wipe with and then I never have to put a dirty towel in my wash water. And since there is no rinsing required you just need to dry.
I really think the microfibers are key here because they can hold tons of water.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
One of the things I do keep my car clean when a "real" wash isnt needed and is nice for people that live in apartments is to use the "Waterless" washes. I was skeptical for so long(I actually bought a bottle of Optimum No Rinse 3 yrs ago but sat unopened for 2yrs!) but once I figured out how to do it, I do it frequently now.

I fill up my bucket(I actually use a cooler, so I dont look like a weirdo trying to get an orange Home Depot bucket with water to my garage spot, people just think I'm going to party :-) ) with water and add the "Soap" when I get to the garage and then throw 5-7 REThickulous microfibers(yes, thats the brand) and let them absorb the water as I get situated. Then I can pretty much just ring out the towel on the panel I want to wash and still have a soaking wet towel to wipe with and then I never have to put a dirty towel in my wash water. And since there is no rinsing required you just need to dry.
I really think the microfibers are key here because they can hold tons of water.
Yeah that seems to be the standard method really and it works well. I have a nice bucket, microfibers, and enough ONR to last my lifetime, I got a nice Mercury pump spray bottle as well. The coating my friend applied also utilizes a nice protective overcoat layer that I can re-apply every few months to keep the coating lasting a long time. So simple wash with ONR and dry and then hit it with the overcoating every once in awhile.

It is amazing how this car looks in the sun now. I deal with making elaborate CG materials all day so I tend to notice these things but the way the metallic flake in the paint picks up light now after the correction is amazing. Can't wait to get some pictures of this thing in the sun now and I am finally motivated to maintain it well. Luckily doing a proper wash of the car myself takes less time than taking it to some hand car wash that will for sure create a bunch of swirl marks.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 419 Likes on 319 Posts

Just make sure you use two buckets, one with soap/clean water and one filled with water to use as a rinse bucket for whatever you're using to spread the soap.

Introducing swirls into paint sucks.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by gbaby2089
Just make sure you use two buckets, one with soap/clean water and one filled with water to use as a rinse bucket for whatever you're using to spread the soap.

Introducing swirls into paint sucks.
Two buckets isn't necessary if you know what you are doing with ONR. No need to rinse anything just move to a different microfiber once one gets dirty.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II