Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Good call on the OEM top.

it's was the first mod I did to my car. I think within 1-2 months of owning the car, I had an OEM top. I also immediately gutted out the soft top frame and motor. I left the rear tray, though, as well as all of the other interior bits.

BTW, are you going to join in on this group buy?

Flow Rear Rotors
I would bet a lot of the variance in weights comes from people leaving in various bits when pulling out the soft top. I definitely plan on leaving in the tray and other interior bits.

Definitely considering those rotors. I am glad to see that Girodisc is the manufacturer.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I see. I would guess those brackets weight quite a lot so maybe the guys getting higher numbers as far as the weight is concerned are removing those brackets? You can buy the CR brackets from Honda it seems as well so maybe not necessary to find a junk top.

Yep, ~$190 for the CR ones from Honda. Was about to buy them as I was in a pinch and needed to get them quickly to get the car back together. Ended up having a local help me out buy chopping his junk top up to get me the side plates(Essentially what the CR plates are) for $30.

What the CR plates look like:

And the softtop bases before grinding all the extra crap off and throwing some paint on them:

Old 05-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by av8ter
Yep, ~$190 for the CR ones from Honda. Was about to buy them as I was in a pinch and needed to get them quickly to get the car back together. Ended up having a local help me out buy chopping his junk top up to get me the side plates(Essentially what the CR plates are) for $30.
Any chance you weighed those side plates that you modified?
Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine are bolted in right to the body only using the two large bolts. I did this on the last s2k as well with no issues. I'll eventually find a top to junk or get the CR brackets for just piece of mind.

Not sure how structural they really are though.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Mine are bolted in right to the body only using the two large bolts. I did this on the last s2k as well with no issues. I'll eventually find a top to junk or get the CR brackets for just piece of mind.

Not sure how structural they really are though.
Yeah every S2000 race car I have seen with everything gutted seems to just used fixed brackets that mount to those two large bolts. If those brackets are fairly heavy I might just do the same, using the OEM catchers of course. I think the OEM clamping mechanism definitely helps to get a good seal in the rear. There is probably quite a bit of aero force trying to pull the hardtop off the car though at high speeds so I suppose those additional mounting points can't hurt. If I can keep those brackets and still drop 20-30lbs that is good for me.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 PM

If you don't have one of these get one:

I am almost as excited about this little LED headlamp as I am about the hardtop. If I would have already had this when I was installing the catchers I would have done it twice as fast. On that note I was actually able to pull of the interior panels I needed to install the catchers and everything just sliding the drivers seat forward, and since the slider handle can't really be used on my passenger side I was able to get everything installed without even sliding that seat forward or removing it. A little ratchet with screwdriver bit adapter works wonders!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:40 PM

Question about the rear latches. Do you think it would be worth it to install my new rear latches? Does much play really develop? I guess I might as well try them and see since I have them.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't really see how the rear latches would develop play. I could only see the catchers wearing out over time and I mean a long time.

You can actually put the soft top motor covers back in and use a nut/bolt combo to make a 3rd attachment point for the catchers.

And get that tint off the rear window of the HT. fishbowl FTW. I hate tint! Only thing I'd change about the car is losing the side strakes. Non-staggered wheels already make the front look more aggressive than the rears which I actually don't mind but the strakes make the rear look even more sunken in than they really are.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1431876372' post='23615640
^There is a ton of adjustment with oem hardware. If you just tossed the catchers on and tightened them down and put the top on , the odds of it fitting first time is 50/50. You really need to leave everything loose, (catchers/strikers) and then slide the top around/have someone push down on each side while you snug it all up.
Is there much adjustment in the catchers? When installing them it seemed there position was pretty fixed.
Yeah, you're right. I just had everything loose when I was trying to get my fitment spot on.
I ran into the problem of only being able to get 3 of the 4 bolts in to hold the catcher on one side. No matter what I did as far as putting bolts in, nothing worked.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Tint is coming off tomorrow afternoon. I have sort of come to like the side strakes for some reason even though they mess with the lines of the car. I really like the way they look with side diffusers so I will probably be giving that a try first.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II