Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 219 Likes on 140 Posts

No one is smarter than me, I went through 12 years of public schooling, thankyouverymuch!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You kids are silly. That's condescending. Take it to the track. NA FTW
Old 12-13-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jst2878
You kids are silly. That's condescending. Take it to the track. NA FTW
That pretty much covers everything doesn't it. No way I will be able to go to the track with my roll bars that are only slightly stiffer than OEM though. Who am I kidding? I am going to need 30kg/mm springs to make up for the inadequacies of these god damn mickey mouse roll bars.

And if anyone cares not only are the ASM roll bars stiffer than OEM, they are also about 2lbs lighter in total (using larger diameter but thinner walled design, and painted with ground up unicorn horn), and around 8lbs lighter than the Eibach bars, which obviously are heavier because they are significantly stiffer, but anyway there you go.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

OEM end links?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
OEM end links?
Yeah shouldn't have any problems using the OEM end links.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

awww yeah, winter time e-beef.

go team Ricky/adrs2k.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by fernando.
awww yeah, winter time e-beef.
Fernando, please.

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II-cbwjl3d.gif

If I would have known people would get so hostile about my opinions on roll bars I wouldn't have even responded.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Tune car motion using springs, taking into account weight, wheel rate, tire's potential for grip (compound and size), and downforce.
2. Control those chosen springs with appropriate shock valving.
3. Fine-tune desired tire loading balance with sway bars as necessary.
4. Fine-tune tire contact patch with alignment.

Not sure where I copied that from but it's something I personally follow. I don't understand the school of thought behind excessively stiff spring rates or sway bars (seems like a popular school of thought in the US?). Having experimented with 10/12, 12/12, 16/16 and finally 14/13 - I feel like I'm fairly close to my ideal rates, perhaps 13/13 or 13/12 being that sweet spot but that may require a revalve?
At the moment it feels much more balanced, so much that my Eibach sway has backed off from full stiff to medium with a softer AP2 rear sway sitting in my garage still. Aero and tyre balance has largely remained the same throughout and more importantly times are dropping But whether that's driver or not, I don't know.
I hated my Whiteline front sway (back when I ran 10/12 and 12/12), but a lot of people love it. The Eibach felt much more "natural" on turn in but that said I had added an LSD by that time... There's too many factors to say one setup is better or more ideal than another. Each to their own and I think at the end, it depends on what you feel comfortable with (and most important - pushing limits with) and where you'll be driving.
/randomdribbleafterdissapearingfroms2kifortoolongha ha

Jealous of your Ikeya Formula arms! Will hopefully order some early next year myself...
Old 12-14-2015, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by aozora
1. Tune car motion using springs, taking into account weight, wheel rate, tire's potential for grip (compound and size), and downforce.
2. Control those chosen springs with appropriate shock valving.
3. Fine-tune desired tire loading balance with sway bars as necessary.
4. Fine-tune tire contact patch with alignment.

Not sure where I copied that from but it's something I personally follow. I don't understand the school of thought behind excessively stiff spring rates or sway bars (seems like a popular school of thought in the US?). Having experimented with 10/12, 12/12, 16/16 and finally 14/13 - I feel like I'm fairly close to my ideal rates, perhaps 13/13 or 13/12 being that sweet spot but that may require a revalve?
At the moment it feels much more balanced, so much that my Eibach sway has backed off from full stiff to medium with a softer AP2 rear sway sitting in my garage still. Aero and tyre balance has largely remained the same throughout and more importantly times are dropping But whether that's driver or not, I don't know.
I hated my Whiteline front sway (back when I ran 10/12 and 12/12), but a lot of people love it. The Eibach felt much more "natural" on turn in but that said I had added an LSD by that time... There's too many factors to say one setup is better or more ideal than another. Each to their own and I think at the end, it depends on what you feel comfortable with (and most important - pushing limits with) and where you'll be driving.
/randomdribbleafterdissapearingfroms2kifortoolongha ha

Jealous of your Ikeya Formula arms! Will hopefully order some early next year myself...
Great minds think alike. Completely agree with that list. I also don't understand the school of thought behind excessively stiff rates. Maybe it IS a US thing. I tend to do most of my reading up on this stuff from European or Japanese sources. My understanding is that while it is beneficial to decrease roll to an ideal amount front and rear, doing it in a way that is very unbalanced can make the car much harder to drive in various ways, because the front and rear will react and settle much slower or faster than one another, so if it is necessary to drastically unbalance the roll stiffness to make the car more drivable then there is another more important problem in the setup. Anyway..

I think I am going to be very happy with 13/13. Was the Whiteline way too stiff? You are running the front Eibach bar with AP1 rear bar at the moment right? That seems like a good match. If my current rear bar was as stiff as the AP1 I would have considered a similar setup, but I had my heart set on 3-way adjustability front and rear. I don't understand what Eibach was thinking making their rear bar so crazy stiff. You are definitely right in that there are many factors it is hard to really directly compare one car to another, from various parts, alignments, suspension geometry, and so many other things.

Looking forward to seeing how the Ikeya arms work out. I thought you already had them? I think I am also going to do spherical compliance bearings on the lower front arms (along with the sphericals on the Ikeya arms) to increase feel a bit from the front end. My thinking is with just the upper arms and compliance bushings changed to sphericals I can increase feel without any drastic increase in harshness. I was doing a lot of research on what Porsche does on the GT3s compared to regular 911s and that seems to be there method. Stiffer springs and dampers, adjusted ride height, adjusted geometry, add sphericals where they are most beneficial, and stiffer 3-way adjustable roll bars. All considered as a package.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
EVERYONE GET READY TO GET EXCITED! I GOT a new air filter for my Mugen intake.

Mugen air filter:

It looks like at some point Mugen switched suppliers from a company that makes yellowish green filters to K&N which makes red-ish air filters. Annoying that this filter is made by K&N in the U.S. and is likely an exclusive design for Mugen so it can't simply be sold to me in the U.S. but has to be shipped to Japan and put in a Mugen box and shipped back to me. All well. Both which appear to be pretty much identical in terms of design and filter medium. I got this second one so I can clean/oil/dry the other (drying can take quite awhile), and always have a fresh one available when I want to swap them over.
Where did you order this?

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II