California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Steering wheel not centered after alignment

Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jr94513
Just Because The Steering Wheel Is Off A Bit Doesn't Mean Ur Alignment Is Off. They Should Be Able To Straighten It Out For You NO Problem. If Not Pm Me I Can Help You Out Or If You Have A Jack,Colored Sharpie And Some Wrenches I Can Guide YoU On Doing It Yourself
Yeah it doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the alignment. They always dial things in perfectly for me. Here is the alignment sheet. Before i went in the wheel was actually slightly offset to the right, not the left, with pretty big changes from the spec I had done with my last alignment awhile back. (this was done at another shop, but the steering was straight initially after that one)

Is it a matter of correcting for other things going on with the car so the steering is straight though? What types of things might be damaged that would cause the slight offset? Something going on with the tie rods or something? After a bit more freeway driving, it seems the car will drift slightly to the right with my hands of the wheel when cruising at 70mph. It is very subtle but it is consistent on different patches or road. This isn't noticeable unless at speed.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Car Was Probably Aligned With The Wheel Offset A Bit, I Would Have Left A Minor Caster Split To Avoid Any Drifting To The Right. Straightening The Wheel Is Only Adjusting The Tie Rod Ends A bit
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM

if your car hasn't been in a front end collision or damaged suspension, more than likely, the wheel wasn't clocked straight. some aftermarket steering wheels have probs setting right, esp after initial install. saw that w/momos back in the day. AI does good work. friends know steve better than i do, but he's a straight up guy.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I got my alignment done at Auto Innovation.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1382735060' post='22846836
Good guys there. They'll fix it for you. Call them instead of posting problem that is fixed with a visit
I have had this same issue before, went back, and was told the alignment was correct, so I wanted to see if there might be something I am overlooking. Either the steering wasn't quite centered while it was aligned, or the alignment is correct and something else is going on with my car, so trying to figure out what the actual problem is. I am just wondering If I should look into seeing if some bushings need to be replaced or something else. It doesn't seem like it can be a tire wear issue, I have gone through many sets of tires that always end up with slightly different wear due to how they are used, but never had issues with the steering going out of alignment even with tires worn all the way to the cords.

Auto Innovations has been great for me, couldn't recommend them more.
Everytime I don't ensure the wheel is straight it's off after an alignment or tire change.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM

I will be stopping by AI on Monday afternoon to have them adjust. Thanks for the info folks.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Because The Steering Wheel Is Off A Bit Doesn't Mean Ur Alignment Is Off. They Should Be Able To Straighten It Out For You NO Problem. If Not Pm Me I Can Help You Out Or If You Have A Jack,Colored Sharpie And Some Wrenches I Can Guide YoU On Doing It Yourself
Why is every word capitalized? That has to take way longer to type out. Haha just giving you a hard time
Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by scruztaylor
Originally Posted by jr94513' timestamp='1382734880' post='22846830
Why is every word capitalized? That has to take way longer to type out. Haha just giving you a hard time
It is amazing how much more difficult it is to read with every first letter capitalized. I read it in the voice of a crazy meth head. hahaha.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scruztaylor
Originally Posted by jr94513' timestamp='1382734880' post='22846830
My Phone Does It Automatically, Not Sure Why.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scruztaylor' timestamp='1382857220' post='22848336
[quote name='jr94513' timestamp='1382734880' post='22846830']
My Phone Does It Automatically, Not Sure Why.
[/quote]

What phone? I've never ever seen this before. Maybe you can get your phone aligned at AI and we can all browse the forms without getting a mind twisting headache.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel not centered after alignment