California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

surfboard fit with the top up

Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toofarfromjune
Just out of curiosity, how close are you to hayward? Where do you typically go? Always room for more boards in the back of my truck. I'm always a one man show when it comes to going surfing... and it sucks. Twice as hard to get motivated to go surfing solo.

I prefer long boarding these days because I'm lazy, but some places like pleasure point on the right day could accommodate both long and short boarders.

Originally Posted by evie' timestamp='1336062496' post='21666155
i'm about 35 miles away from hayward, in cupertino. usually over at the hook or 38th, sometimes i go to the west side but only when it's really mellow out. i have a 7'6 now (my fake longboard) and i keep it at a friend's place down in santa cruz. he's been drifting away from surfing though and i need to get out more than once or twice a month..! if you want to carpoo.. i'm soooo down!!! i'm happy to split for gas too! how often do you go and where?

Just out of curiosity, how close are you to hayward? Where do you typically go? Always room for more boards in the back of my truck. I'm always a one man show when it comes to going surfing... and it sucks. Twice as hard to get motivated to go surfing solo.

I prefer long boarding these days because I'm lazy, but some places like pleasure point on the right day could accommodate both long and short boarders.
S2ki Surf crew?? I also need motivation to get out there!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM

I want to learn! haha
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evie
i'm about 35 miles away from hayward, in cupertino. usually over at the hook or 38th, sometimes i go to the west side but only when it's really mellow out. i have a 7'6 now (my fake longboard) and i keep it at a friend's place down in santa cruz. he's been drifting away from surfing though and i need to get out more than once or twice a month..! if you want to carpoo.. i'm soooo down!!! i'm happy to split for gas too! how often do you go and where?
Oh thats cool, you would be right along the way to santa cruz. You are lucky to have a friend there, closest place I could leave a board would be felton at this time, sucks when im stuck with a 9'6 board in the back of a pickup in sc and can't leave it unattended after surfing. A fun 7-8ft hybrid like you have would be nice, I hope to get one soon. I am also on the once or twice a month deal.

You know how it is... so rare that the swells are decent, from the right direction, while the tide is good for the breaks where those swells are hitting, but not too much weather along with those swells or its a choppy mess so a day or two before or after the storm. Then all of that has to line up with your life schedule, and you have to hope there isn't too much poopy in the water after some rain.

On that note, it will be even more of a miracle if the surf plus both of our schedules all work out together but its worth a shot! Although pacifica and hmb are closer to home for me, I'm not a huge fan of close outs so I generally go to santa cruz. Same as you, I paddle out at pleasure pt and the hook area, I also really like capitola if there's enough size. I'll pm you whenever I know the day before that its going to be good and i'll be going. Like I said if the schedules work out, lets roll!

Originally Posted by modMonkey
S2ki Surf crew?? I also need motivation to get out there!
Hell yeah! I will pm you also if i know a day ahead of time that it will be good and I happen to be going.

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
I want to learn! haha
Haha, thats what they all say! Somehow I still find myself with zero friends who surf... The one suggestion I have if you really want to get into it: buying your own good wetsuit is far more important than even buying a surfboard. There's always someone with an old/extra surfboard laying around for you to borrow, but you'll probably never find a good warm properly fitting suit to borrow. By the way we pee in them.

You should go with the norcal s2ki surf crew to "cowells" (beginners surf break at the cove just north of the santa cruz pier) on a nice day with good waves and rent a 10ft or larger longboard and a wetsuit from the surf shop across the street and we'll get you up on a few waves. If you really enjoy it, buy a wet suit and join the party from there on out. Also if you happen to get into it, becoming a part time meteorologist is a big part of the sport. You have to learn what tides are best for which beaches/surf breaks, and which swell sizes from which direction and which duration for each break. It's quite mind boggling, and is probably a big part of the reason for why I've been surfing on and off for years and still suck :-p When you don't live at the beach where you can just go take a look, and don't fully understand all of the weather patterns and seasonal breaks, its rare to even get yourself to the beach at a time with decent enough surf to ride.

I will pm you also on those days I know in advance that I'll be going out and cowells is getting waves. I love chilling at cowells anyways, the newbs in the way are usually more tolerable than the badasses with something to prove at the intermediate/pro spots. At least they are smiling and having a good time.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Put me down for the S2ki Surf Crew! I know I haven't been logged in a while, but shit happens. This is helpful because I'm wanted to take up surfing this year.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 AM

You got it man. I would be out at lindamar @ pacifica today if my calf muscles weren't tore up from other activity, I can barely walk this morning.

Surf report for sunday morning:

pleasure point/east side santa cruz: I see stand up paddle boards in the water, which means minimal - no surf today, won't be getting any better with a rising 4.3' tide at noon.

Lindamar/pacifica: 3-4' rollers with sections that are actually not closing out, minimal wind right now. Surf should clean up a little bit with the rising tide, but expect increasing winds to show up closer to noon as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Oh thats cool, you would be right along the way to santa cruz. You are lucky to have a friend there, closest place I could leave a board would be felton at this time, sucks when im stuck with a 9'6 board in the back of a pickup in sc and can't leave it unattended after surfing. A fun 7-8ft hybrid like you have would be nice, I hope to get one soon. I am also on the once or twice a month deal.

You know how it is... so rare that the swells are decent, from the right direction, while the tide is good for the breaks where those swells are hitting, but not too much weather along with those swells or its a choppy mess so a day or two before or after the storm. Then all of that has to line up with your life schedule, and you have to hope there isn't too much poopy in the water after some rain.

On that note, it will be even more of a miracle if the surf plus both of our schedules all work out together but its worth a shot! Although pacifica and hmb are closer to home for me, I'm not a huge fan of close outs so I generally go to santa cruz. Same as you, I paddle out at pleasure pt and the hook area, I also really like capitola if there's enough size. I'll pm you whenever I know the day before that its going to be good and i'll be going. Like I said if the schedules work out, lets roll!

cool. i'll pm you my phone # since i rarely log on. i used to go at least every weekend but work, ear infections, and friend being busy (the one who has my board) has been keeping me dry. weather is warming up, work is winding down, and i'm trying to figure out a better solution for board transport. let me know when you want to go, i'll probably be up for it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Bumping this thread, because I have this problem, and I just started surfing. I could use my dads beater truck,but I'd rather use my S2k for surf adventures,lol

Surfing is pretty cool, might try to go out a few more times this year if I can get around to it.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm am in just to see how this surfboard in an S thing plays out

If you are a surfer you likely already skateboard, so get back into that to hold you over for awhile? Are there any surf shops close to where you go surfing? I have known some people who store there gear like that.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM

As posted earlier, I think a contraption like this is the best way to go about it. Angle the mounts so that there is a rake to apply downforce instead of lift, which I think could risk the board from flying off the mounts.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I'm am in just to see how this surfboard in an S thing plays out

If you are a surfer you likely already skateboard, so get back into that to hold you over for awhile? Are there any surf shops close to where you go surfing? I have known some people who store there gear like that.
Haven't skated since I was 14. Since I usually surf in small towns I guess I could leave my board there, at the shop, if they don't mind. Board rental is another option...
And I'll take a look at that contraption.

Quick Reply: surfboard fit with the top up