California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Any S2k owners in Culver City?

Old 04-26-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any S2k owners in Culver City?

Hey all, I'm thinking of 2 things-

-Moving to an apartment near Culver City (specifically N of Venice on Watseka), and

-Purchasing an S2000

I've been reading the boards for a loooong time, and have heard so many horror stories about vandalism/theft, etc. The apartment I'm looking at isn't in a "bad" neighborhood, but it's not spectacular, and my gated spot would be in plain view for anyone driving, skateboarding, hobbling etc. down the street. A quick scope of the other cars in the garage reveals an MR2 spyder, Scion Xb, early model LS400, and a new M45 (the only car nicer than an S2000).

Can anyone vouch for this neighborhood? Am I being overly paranoid?

TIA
Old 04-26-2005, 09:53 AM

I don't know. That's a tough call. A friend of mine at the Clarington Apts by Natalee Thai had two brand news cars stolen from his gated apartment building. Will your car be indoors? Enclosed?

1) If you buy a nice car get a two-way alarm with a 2-3 mile range for the peace of mind.

2) If your car is exposed maybe you should cover it with a car cover. I think cars are less likely to be messed with when they're out of sight, but maybe not.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:11 AM

The car would be covered and enclosed behind a gate, but at street level and open for viewing to anyone passing by, and well lit at night (good? bad?). I would have 2 tandem spots, and most often I would "block the car in" with my other car, but I have to face the fact that sometimes it would be easily seen, plus it could still be broken into/slashed.

If I go with this apartment, I'd have to get a car cover, and a good alarm, and a hefty insurance policy.

I'm torn about whether a 2-way paging alarm would provide peace of mind. While I've thought differently in the past, I think now I'm grown up enough to realize that catching someone "in the act" may not be the best case scenario, there's always someone crazier than you, probably with a lot less to lose
Old 04-26-2005, 10:35 AM

I live in West LA, and I can't even count how many of my buddies have had their cars jacked around here.

My Prelude got jacked from my old apartment on Bundy & Santa Monica. So this time around I'm not takin any chances. I've got lojack early warning detection installed as well as the Clifford Matrix with two-way paging function.

I hear what you're sayin about not necessarliy wanting to catch someone in the act. I've debated the scenario in my head many times. It's either grab my HK USP .45 and be ready to meet any resistance with a hail of hollowpoints or contact lojack and the authorities.

But even if you don't want to run down there ready to clip the guys jacking your car, you can contact lojack once your two-way alarm goes off. That way they have a headstart on finding the cocksuckers stealing your ride. I think it usually takes them 15 minutes to contact you with the early warning system. With the lojack early warning system and the 2-way alarm you can ensure that the cocksuckers don't get a head start.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveZuck,Apr 26 2005, 11:35 AM
I live in West LA, and I can't even count how many of my buddies have had their cars jacked around here.

My Prelude got jacked from my old apartment on Bundy & Santa Monica. So this time around I'm not takin any chances. I've got lojack early warning detection installed as well as the Clifford Matrix with two-way paging function.

I hear what you're sayin about not necessarliy wanting to catch someone in the act. I've debated the scenario in my head many times. It's either grab my HK USP .45 and be ready to meet any resistance with a hail of hollowpoints or contact lojack and the authorities.

But even if you don't want to run down there ready to clip the guys jacking your car, you can contact lojack once your two-way alarm goes off. That way they have a headstart on finding the cocksuckers stealing your ride. I think it usually takes them 15 minutes to contact you with the early warning system. With the lojack early warning system and the 2-way alarm you can ensure that the cocksuckers don't get a head start.
i have a similar setup,

matrix and standard lojack, no early warning, but i am pretty confident i won't get jacked, or if i do, i will know about it in time to do something early.

i've had 2 cars stolen from me at my current place but with my setup i sleep easier.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:28 AM

Ug. Thanks for the info, although it definitely doesn't instill confidence in me.

About the LoJack system, can you guys give me a ballpark figure for what you paid including installation? Also does it requre a monthly fee, or is it a one-time outlay of cash?

No doubt I'll be back asking for reputable shops for the install should I decide on the apartment and the car.

Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 PM

My wife and I used to rent in Culver City right off of Culver, not the best of neighborhoods. We lived there for one year and I had my car broken into and the top slashed. If I moved back (at least the rent was cheap), I would feel okay if I had an alarm and a hardtop. - The car cover doesn't do much.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:12 PM

LoJack is ~$600, LoJack Early Warning is ~$900. Both are one-time fees that include installation.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just took the apartment :/

Hopefully it'll all work out, and when the S2k comes, I'll let you all know... keep your fingers crossed for me.