California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

For Hockey - clutch adjustment

Old 12-21-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring up an old (ish) thread, but I'm trying to figure out a couple of things behind this and I've tried generic googling of them but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Clutch freeplay - This seems to be a term that is defined by the distance between the top pedal position (at rest) and the point at which "the clutch first becomes engaged" when being depressed along it's path to the floor.

I'm not sure if this is the point at which I can first feel hydraulic pressure or "resistance" or the point in the resistance travel path at which there is engagement/disengagement of the clutch and transmission.

In addition to that, my clutch has about 1-2 inches (completely rough guess) where there is absolutely no resistance what-so-ever. Basically I can rest my foot on the pedal and with almost no force at all it will go down to the point of resistance. I could do it with my pinky finger to this point. Is this okay? Or should I feel resistance through the full clutch pedal path?

I don't have any grinding, barely any notchiness (only a little in 2nd gear, when cold mostly), and buttery smooth shifts mostly (even at lower RPMs generally). I just want to make sure I'm not potentially doing damage to the throwout bearing or any other transmission/clutch components that I could be subjecting to additional wear and tear or strain.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting your instructions. I realize the original posting is old, but these instructions seemed to have greatly improved my shifts into second gear. My '01 now has 67500 miles, approximately 15k on a replaced stock clutch. I'm the third owner, so who knows how well the previous owners treated the oem clutch. Anyway thanks again! I've only driven a few miles after the adjustment, and it feels much better!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM

The manual kinda sucks for this adjustment!

It's unclear to me how to measure these as the manual doesn't state. If you measure resting on the carpet or pressing down on the carpet till you reach the metal your measurements are going to vary quite a bit. My carpet give adds about .5".

My measurements:

Floor measurement was 2" on carpet or 2.5" pressing down. Also, I'm missing the bump stop so my pedal hits the firewall so it may go slightly father down than some.
Resting on the carpet F is 6.25" and pressing the ruler to the floor F is 6.75".
Until I felt resistance on the carpet was 5" and pressing to the floor was 5.5".

So assuming its the most off it could be, F is 1.19".

My clutch is slipping after 10k, are these measurements enough of a difference to have contributed to what I would consider vastly premature slipping? Should I go ahead and add clutch height?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 AM

Also reviving an old thread..
After clutch change, I can't seem to disengage the clutch completely. As in, when fully pressed, the rear wheels are still turning.

To address this issue, would I need to extend the distance between D and E? or shorten it?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 PM

Bump. Can anyone provide measurements from their clutch pedal? Right around 7", (B) doesn't seem to have anymore adjustment. I felt 7" was too high, even with zero freeplay in the pushrod. Right now I'm at about 6.2" with the clutch pedal fully released. I feel a resistance at about 5.5".