Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1439314089' post='23711318
The audacity of you calling anyone else "desperate", priceless.

The NSX will fail as a Halo car. Nobody is calling out Ford on the GT because Ford doesn't even need to release it. They are knocking it out of the park with almost everything that they build. Honda/Acura is the polar opposite of Ford right now.
My point was, you're highlighting cars that aren't even available and saying "Here - this is success". Two of them are econo FWD hatchbacks. One is a pickup truck. Really? Halo vehicles? The GT? Yes. GT350(R)? No, though it's going to be a heck of a machine. The rest? Not even close. They're enthusiast vehicles but hardly halo vehicles. They're "halo" in that they're the top of their specific family within Ford but no one says, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, Ford has a Fiesta ST - they really know how to make a halo vehicle. Ferrari, look out!"

Well, you say that, but the rest of the world doesn't....

The Ford GT is the Halo, the other cars are the ones people can/will actually buy. That is what makes it a successful Halo car, it's drawing attention to the other great things Ford is doing. Ironic, considering the article was about how the last Ford GT did not do that.

Acura has stumbled and dragged out the release of the NSX, and they have STILL nothing on offer that will take the enthusiasm people have for the NSX and translate that into sales of mediocre luxury cars. Acura/Honda is Ford 2005.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The author left this comment in the comments:

What.

Whether or not you believe in correlation (as you seem to) or causation (as I do) the R8’s arrival preceded an enormous reversal in Audi’s declining sales figures. Here are the numbers:

2006 = 90,100
2007 = 93,500
2008 = 87,800
R8 COMES OUT HERE
2009 = 82,700
2010 = 101,600
2011 = 117,600
2012 = 139,300
2013 = 158,100
2014 = 182,000

He puts up a very strong case for the R8 as a Halo car.... The LED DRL was so hot to me when I first saw it on an Audi.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1439314089' post='23711318

The NSX will fail as a Halo car. Nobody is calling out Ford on the GT because Ford doesn't even need to release it. They are knocking it out of the park with almost everything that they build. Honda/Acura is the polar opposite of Ford right now.
My point was, you're highlighting cars that aren't even available and saying "Here - this is success". Two of them are econo FWD hatchbacks. One is a pickup truck. Really? Halo vehicles? The GT? Yes. GT350(R)? No, though it's going to be a heck of a machine. The rest? Not even close. They're enthusiast vehicles but hardly halo vehicles. They're "halo" in that they're the top of their specific family within Ford but no one says, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, Ford has a Fiesta ST - they really know how to make a halo vehicle. Ferrari, look out!"

Econo FWD hatchbacks are what Honda use to thrive at, but have since taken a backseat. Now it's just Ford, Mazda, and VW.
That pick-up truck has insanely high resale value, which can correlate to "People like them".

Granted, no one says "Ford has a Fiesta ST, they know how to make a halo vehicle"... they do say "The Ford GT is awesome, and have you driven a Fiesta ST! It's pretty good too!"

I get the article's desperation to be relevant POV, you can walk into an Audi dealership, see a R8... and see other potentially interesting cars within Audi's lineup. TTRS, S4. RS5, etc.
I went to go see the new NSX that was on display at a local dealership, walked in, found out they took the car for desert testing, immediately walked out because there's nothing in Acura/Honda's lineup that would keep me awake. Boring cars, the lot of them.

Oh, Honda... you have a Civic Si... [meh]
How about a Fit. [yawn]
Oh, a RLX [snoring]

The only thing Honda has going for it right now (besides their awesome motorcyles), are the conversations swirling around the NSX and the rumors that we will get a Civic Type R...someday.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I like how so many people seem to think that Honda needs to sell the NSX or they or Acura will fail. They've had some misses (CRZ for instance), but they have many class leaders and many more significant contenders in their class. They're cleaning house and you guys are acting like they're on the verge of bankruptcy.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-i-thin...car-1723149998

I think this article is onto something.
there are two main kinds of car buyers. Enthusiasts like people on this board. Halo cars will make them look at other cars in that brand.
then there are people like my mother. She wants a Lexus because it's comfy. She doesn't know what a LF-A is if it's parked in her garage. If I bring home a new NSX, she will say "you got a Ferrari?".
Halo cars only work on people who cares enough, such as buyers of Audi. For people who buy Honda and Acura, they care about value, reliability, and cost. A Halo car will not influence those folks.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1439317709' post='23711403
[quote name='Marioshi' timestamp='1439314089' post='23711318']

The Ford GT is the Halo, the other cars are the ones people can/will actually buy. That is what makes it a successful Halo car, it's drawing attention to the other great things Ford is doing. Ironic, considering the article was about how the last Ford GT did not do that.

Acura has stumbled and dragged out the release of the NSX, and they have STILL nothing on offer that will take the enthusiasm people have for the NSX and translate that into sales of mediocre luxury cars. Acura/Honda is Ford 2005.
[/quote]

Dude you said the car wasn't even coming out. I should go dig up all your old post and show them to everyone. Now your back trying to pick little things to stir the pot because you were wrong. That's very childish of you.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by S2020
http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-i-thin...car-1723149998

I think this article is onto something.
there are two main kinds of car buyers. Enthusiasts like people on this board. Halo cars will make them look at other cars in that brand.
then there are people like my mother. She wants a Lexus because it's comfy. She doesn't know what a LF-A is if it's parked in her garage. If I bring home a new NSX, she will say "you got a Ferrari?".
Halo cars only work on people who cares enough, such as buyers of Audi. For people who buy Honda and Acura, they care about value, reliability, and cost. A Halo car will not influence those folks.

My response to that is, no kidding. Not everyone cares about supercars? GET OUT OF HERE!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!! Such a revelation! :-)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
What does failing even mean? So it doesn't make me want to go buy more auras. Big deal. Maybe for Honda this is a big deal because they're hoping it will transform the brand. But for you and I, who cares about all that.
This is going to be a great car. Thats all that matters to me.

This times 1,000.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Have you guys ever considered that not every supercar is sold in order to produce the halo effect? Like, maybe some manufacturers sell the cars to make money off of the cars sold? The halo effect is exactly that; an effect. It's not the raison d'etre.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I like how so many people seem to think that Honda needs to sell the NSX or they or Acura will fail. They've had some misses (CRZ for instance), but they have many class leaders and many more significant contenders in their class. They're cleaning house and you guys are acting like they're on the verge of bankruptcy.
I don't think anyone is saying the Honda needs the NSX to sell.

What I think most of us are trying to say is, Honda needs SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to reignite the Honda passion for making interesting and exciting cars that it has lost recently.

Will the NSX be it? Hopefully, but I have my doubts (like most of the people in this thread).