Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Yas Marine Blue m3

Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Black interior and i did not go full leather dash, etc. This is a wonderful car for me. Suspension they just got it right with no adjustments.The steering is communicative as it can be. the gearbox is different than the 335i, seems to be geared as a 4 speed with two overdrives. Its firm and communicative shifting, nice clutch action, bites down low and smooth. I am only on my second tank, have 500 miles under my belt, mpg on this tight engine is at 21.8 right now, I did not buy it for the mpg, it's an old habit to check it, I do the same with the S which hovers at 22-23.

So far the electronics are better than the 2013 335i I just gave up, faster, easier to use interface with that touch pad(like audi has). I don't miss the sunroof as much as i thought i would.

car has ample power in any gear and any configuration of teh adjustments. It's louder than I thought it would be exaust wise. This is really a hot rod, you can hear all the mechanical noises from the trans,engine, etc...just barely when the excellent hc stereo is not on, it's also a way better one that the 335i came with.

Nav works with voice recognition while moving very nicely.

i do love the color. I spec'ed this car out the way i wanted it, no frills other than black leather,usb stuff, some nannies that included the required backup camera and 3 d camera. I would do this again.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Here is an update on the M3's journal. Average mpg after 2000 miles is about 21-23.
Seems faster now than before, after my first service. compared to the 335i i just turned in the quality and quantity of service is different, that car had first service at 15,000 miles, which was done on break in oil!!! added a quart.

The M3 no oil added, first service was at 1200 miles and they changed oil and diff fluid. And even though it's a bmw I use my turn signals. Over all you drive it normally or get on it and wind it out like an S2000 only you don't have to drive it hard, it's stupid fast all day long in any gear....

Car works perfectly, so far....nav, radio, window switched, in 335i m sport (2013) worked weirdly now and then and slowly. the m3 is a real upgrade, no waiting for anything and the voice recognition is almost flawless, it has a touch pad for the idrive which is audi like....or just simply tell the system where you want to go and it repeats it, you confirm it, and it begins. backup camera stays on while backing up even in neutral, hill hold is flawless.

Not a hiccpu in the engine dept. just push the pedal and you hang on....the car roars with a combo of real exhaust noise and the piped in electric "v8" sound. On cold start ups it sounds like a garbage truck for first 3 min then it's ok. When put into either m1 or m2 the flaps open and it sound heavenly. the engine has no REVHANG, which the 335i had in spades, ever.

gearbox is more precise than the rubbery but pleasant 335i was. Seems to be 4 speeds with 2 over drive gear. there is no end to the power, for passing or maneuvering in traffic, it's like my s2000... scalpel like for merging.

car has normal, m1 and m2, push a button and you can tune the suspension (not optioned in mine and dont' miss it), engine, and steering to either way you want it, one button.

there is no drone on the exhaust, its perfect. with the windows down its better than the radio. the seats are an acquired taste and just right for me, not unlike the s2000 the way they hug and support. Car has that BMW leather smell, it's nice.

the steering, I have it set on some sort of normal, it's fine, sure it's electric but i am used to it. I do not have the active dampers and don't miss then, I had them with the 335 and they were crap. The stock suspension has no bounce like the 335i had and is not too harsh. there is tremendous grip everywhere every time.

you can drive it in traffic easily with the comfy clutch, automatic stop start, put your foot in it anyplace under 40 mph in 2nd and the rear breaks loose, the lights flash, the traction control comes on and off but you are moving. Red line is 7500, revs to redline easily in any gear. pulls to 100 great on ramps....

It's not the most hp you can buy for the money, or the fastest car 0-60 for the price, but it's a GREAT PACKAGE that needs no mods. I love the brakes and am yet to really need them on full as it can stop faster than most cars. so far I have received a few comments about the color, which to me is one of the best parts of the great hood bulge view you get from the drivers seat.

From a practical point of view it can seat 4 comfy, i can do a home depot run with the seat folded down, the trunk opens when you put your foot under the rear bumper....it's the car the 335i m sport should have been and with $15,000-20,000 of mods it would have been.

Reminds me of the hot rods I used to build when I was in high school, only everything works very well together.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Another update, @ about 4,000 miles...I believe it is broken in now. My 29 year old son (the experienced track day carnut) and I attended a wedding in Portland. So the drive was approximately 1400 miles within a 4 day period, with traffic, mostly on highway 5. We averaged 50 mph, got 24.6 mpg over all. I was able to get 27.5 mpg on my first leg of the drive. My son like 90-100 mph...so we did that in a 70 zone as often as possible.

this is the first car I have ever had with this much power, sorted this well, since my 1980 911sc.... being able to pass anyone anyplace on any turn or in altitude, and it sounds great too...my average mpg is hovering at 23-24 mpg...my 2013 335i m sport manual got 25-27 average and over 30 on trips. This thing is epic over all so far.

What am I driving today, yesterday, it's sunny, so the S2000. Also an epic car!!!!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you're having a blast Passing folks in the F8x M cars is so fun on the freeway haha
Old 09-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Just can't get excited about the 4 door F## cars but no kids here either.

F32 & F82 in our family along with an E92.

And yes, Euro Delivery is amazing.