Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying a TDI

Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reversible
You could theoretically find one from some unlucky ineligible owner and drive that contraband car until the wheels fall off...but would it be worth the effort?
I was kind of thinking about this although I may just go with one of the older mk IV

Originally Posted by rwheelz
$600 and your power will be back with an APR tune, even if they neuter them. Don't even sweat it!
I was looking at Malone and a lot of people are making like 290ish wtq with that at like 1800rpm. I feel like the tunes that are out there will still give the same benefits after the "fix" because to my understanding the issue is in the ecu from the factory
Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If the main reasons are low end torque and cheap to buy, then you are looking at the wrong car. In terms of mpg, lets say the tdi will get after it's "fix" 30 mpg, even 35, then there are other cars that burn gas or are hybrids, used cars, that you can say the same thing about mileage wise without the risk of buying a lump of metal that has no value to anyone else. The low end torque, again other choices. The cost, well there are cars that are less than 10k that will get you 80% of what you want and are cheap and you wont' worry about the body damage. Try something with USED a toyota, honda, Hyundai, or kia brand name
Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People selling them right now are stupid. My fiance bought her a3 used 3 years ago and has since put 40k miles on it. According to the chart published by the FTC, she will be getting nearly as much as she paid for the car. It is also my understanding that if Vw/audi don't meet a certain percentage of buybacks/fixes, that they will be fined even more. g
It has been a good car, but they have really, really costly bits. The emissions equipment and particularly the fuel system are $$$$ if repairs are needed. Hers has been great, but it could definitely wipe out the pocket book with one watery tank of diesel. She averaged ~32mpg in hers, which was a great improvement over her old vehicle, but nothing to write home about when you look at the epa estimates of 30/42 or whatever it is. On long trips we could get 36-40mpg at 75+ mph.

Buy a Cr-z, tsx, mazda 3 with skyactiv, etc. Gas is cheaper than ever right now.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by impulse21
People selling them right now are stupid. My fiance bought her a3 used 3 years ago and has since put 40k miles on it. According to the chart published by the FTC, she will be getting nearly as much as she paid for the car. It is also my understanding that if Vw/audi don't meet a certain percentage of buybacks/fixes, that they will be fined even more. g
It has been a good car, but they have really, really costly bits. The emissions equipment and particularly the fuel system are $$$$ if repairs are needed. Hers has been great, but it could definitely wipe out the pocket book with one watery tank of diesel. She averaged ~32mpg in hers, which was a great improvement over her old vehicle, but nothing to write home about when you look at the epa estimates of 30/42 or whatever it is. On long trips we could get 36-40mpg at 75+ mph.

Buy a Cr-z, tsx, mazda 3 with skyactiv, etc. Gas is cheaper than ever right now.
Thanks for the feedback ill definitely look into a few of those cars I want to actually be able to hold things since the only cars I've ever owned were a coupe civic and the s2000
Old 07-16-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with the above advice
We've got an 11 Jetta tdi mt that we love, but there's too many Unknown factors and numbers to make a decision right now
We bought as a defense against high fuel prices but deisel fuel is 60% of what it was and fuel prices will be low for a few years at least
Pretty sure we won't be going for the fix
More details will be known by Sep
Check the Tdiclub site then if you're still interested
Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by gerry100
We've got an 11 Jetta tdi mt that we love, but there's too many Unknown factors and numbers to make a decision right now
We bought as a defense against high fuel prices but deisel fuel is 60% of what it was and fuel prices will be low for a few years at least
That's mostly what I have been hearing so I went on autotrader and just searched for diesel sedans with over 30 mpg that are in my price range.
After some more research I am completely over the tdi and now can't wait to make the down payment on a 335d
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Micalbertl
Originally Posted by gerry100' timestamp='1468678860' post='24017951
That's mostly what I have been hearing so I went on autotrader and just searched for diesel sedans with over 30 mpg that are in my price range.
After some more research I am completely over the tdi and now can't wait to make the down payment on a 335d
Make sure you find one that is CPO or has a warranty.