Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driving a Lotus Elise for the weekend...

Old 08-29-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lotus Cars USA dropped off a euro version of the Lotus Elise for our company to try out. So this weekend is my turn to drive it The version that we have is the lightest and lowest powered, it weighs under 1500 lbs and has the 120hp Rover engine in it. Because of the low vehicle weight the car is still peppy with the Rover engine, very responsive on throttle tip-in but a little weazy at high rpm's. My S2000 beat it fairly easily in two different head-to-head drives, but the Elise is still very fun to drive and attracts lots of attention. The version of the Elise that is coming to the US will have a 190hp engine, so it will probably be faster than an S2000.

The driving impression of the Elise is more extreme than my S2K, it feels more raw. No AC, no power windows, no power steering, feels like no power assist on the brakes, manual windows. The interior is just as spartan, maybe more-so with some aluminum bits instead of carpet and the seats are just padded shells, comfortable though. Getting in and out is pretty tough due to some very high an wide door sills, but once inside you get very comfortable and it feels a little more roomy than the S2K. You're much more laid down while driving, feels more like a Formula Ford race car than a street car. The windshield has a very reclined angle, shouldn't pit as badly as our S2K's. Wind buffeting is a little less, probably because it isn't a complete convertible.

Due to the light weight, you can feel that the chassis isn't as rigid as the excellent S2000 structure. Rattles and groans are part of the ambiance I guess, the exhaust and engine are loud enough divert your attention to the important stuff. It is basically a go-kart wrapped in an interesting fiberglas body. The styling is better in real life than in photos, it's a little exaggerated in places, but the diminutive size of the car needs a bold design. So everything works together, especially in the bright yellow paint. A guy in a pick-up truck stuck his head and shoulders completely out of his window to yell "nice car" on the way home. The car is an attention magnet.

Since this is a euro version, it has some different things than what we will see next year when Lotus starts importing the Elise for us. This car has a rather slushy long-throw 5 speed tranny, not nearly as crisp as my S but it still works. The US version will have a 6 speed, hopefully with a shorter stroke. The instrumentation is minimal, while driving it I realized how good the S2000 digital tach is, going back to an analog tach makes it very difficult to see when you get near the redline. Looks like this car is around 7,000 rpm, the US version will probably be 8,500 rpm like the Celica GT-S. Lotus says the US version will be around $38,500 with a target quantity of ~2,500 cars coming to the states.

I'll post more on the driving after this weekend.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

38K would be a nice price. Got to test one out when they arrive. Thanks for the review.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I really wish I had time to come up and take a look. Please post more pictures!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:02 AM

No way! Were you in Mission Veijo/Ladera Ranch within the last week? I notice you are in Irvine and I get the distinct feeling there aren't 2 of these exact cars running around orange county. I saw you the other day at....burger king I think it was, it looked really cool. You're lucky I didn't see this before hand, I probably would have came up and talked your ear off. Would there be any way for me to see this while you still have it?

~Andrew
Old 08-30-2003, 03:50 AM

that is an awesome car.

i can't wait to see and testdrive one. but $38500 seems a little steep to me.

lucky you, must be a fun job.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:53 AM

Ah, you lucky bastard. But this comment confused me:
Due to the light weight, you can feel that the chassis isn't as rigid as the excellent S2000 structure.
Light weight doesn't necessarily have anything to do with chassis rigidity. The S2 Elise I've ridden in was a bit creaky and had a few rattles, but this was due more to body panels, not the frame. I'm sure the Norsk Hydro chassis of the Elise is at least as stiff as the X-frame if not more so.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 402 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice write-up. I'll need to drive one of these down the road! I'd love to track it!
Old 08-30-2003, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by protokultur
[B]Ah, you lucky bastard.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by north9586
[B]No way! Were you in Mission Veijo/Ladera Ranch within the last week? I notice you are in Irvine and I get the distinct feeling there aren't 2 of these exact cars running around orange county. I saw you the other day at....burger king I think it was, it looked really cool. You're lucky I didn't see this before hand, I probably would have came up and talked your ear off. Would there be any way for me to see this while you still have it?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:52 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never seen a photo with the roof in place, is it a body color panel or is it just a canvas strip? I wonder if or why they don't offer a fixed roof version it would probably be more stiff.

BTW I'm a tall guy at 6'3" and the S2k is about as tight as I can get into, do you think the Elise is more roomy?

Quick Reply: Driving a Lotus Elise for the weekend...