Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Everyday Driver's 8 sports cars under $8k

Old 09-01-2021, 06:35 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts
Cool Everyday Driver's 8 sports cars under $8k

You tend to forget just how many sports cars have been made in the past two decades.

No S2000, but all other cars are pretty much here barring an Elise.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:48 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Without getting too old, that is a solid list. Never thought I'd see Boxsters around for 8K... Remember their debut like yesterday.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:57 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Without getting too old, that is a solid list. Never thought I'd see Boxsters around for 8K... Remember their debut like yesterday.
I remember seeing the concept at the NAIAS (Detroit autoshow).
darcy
Old 09-02-2021, 07:14 PM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

I love the whole concept and agree with pretty much the whole point they made. But I, as an old fart, can not deal with high milers any more. I guess I got lazy. I used to go wrench on my SW20 MR2 out of necessity, but now I want low milers for toys, because I don't drive them much and can put years on them before any real investment on top of the purchase price.

I also realize that does not make much sense, because the depreciation is a bigger gain than the repairs you might put into them, but my mental framework is, "I don't want to deal with issues."

I was talking to my wife the other day though because it is this big joke in our house that my friend and I who have the losingest powerball pool ever, if we won and I got my 60 some million after taxes I would build one of those track oriented country clubs and have a barn full of cars for my friends to come over and drive around the track. The barn would not be filled with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but Miatas, MR2's, used 370's, and 4C's. Elises, and old 987 Caymans. Nothing breathtaking. Nothing spectacular. Just good solid fun.

My lawn tractor started surging a couple days ago. The carb needs to be pulled and cleaned. I am dreading it. I would dread it as a 25 year old, but just shrug and do it and feel some self righteous accomplishment for being self sufficient. Now I just don't want to be bothered. When you are younger it is this obstacle in your way that you need to get past, when you get old and pampered, it is a huge first world problem you want to ignore and hope it goes away by itself.

I also say this as someone who wants to build a shop and restore things in retirement, or build a kit car. But I want to do it for fun and not out of need. I don't understand my attitude towards it either. It is just the way it goes.

Last edited by vader1; 09-02-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:13 PM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I love the whole concept and agree with pretty much the whole point they made. But I, as an old fart, can not deal with high milers any more. I guess I got lazy. I used to go wrench on my SW20 MR2 out of necessity, but now I want low milers for toys, because I don't drive them much and can put years on them before any real investment on top of the purchase price.

I also realize that does not make much sense, because the depreciation is a bigger gain than the repairs you might put into them, but my mental framework is, "I don't want to deal with issues."

I was talking to my wife the other day though because it is this big joke in our house that my friend and I who have the losingest powerball pool ever, if we won and I got my 60 some million after taxes I would build one of those track oriented country clubs and have a barn full of cars for my friends to come over and drive around the track. The barn would not be filled with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but Miatas, MR2's, used 370's, and 4C's. Elises, and old 987 Caymans. Nothing breathtaking. Nothing spectacular. Just good solid fun.

My lawn tractor started surging a couple days ago. The carb needs to be pulled and cleaned. I am dreading it. I would dread it as a 25 year old, but just shrug and do it and feel some self righteous accomplishment for being self sufficient. Now I just don't want to be bothered. When you are younger it is this obstacle in your way that you need to get past, when you get old and pampered, it is a huge first world problem you want to ignore and hope it goes away by itself.

I also say this as someone who wants to build a shop and restore things in retirement, or build a kit car. But I want to do it for fun and not out of need. I don't understand my attitude towards it either. It is just the way it goes.

I totally understand. I guess part of it is this been there done that attitude, and I'm glad for the experience and knowledge but I don't need reps in something that doesn't make me healthier, happier, or richer because its just not that pleasurable for me. I change the oil on my cars on occasion just to keep undust the tools and such, but watching YouTube videos of guys like gears and gasoline just gives me more anxiety than enjoyment.

But like you, I really enjoy watching things like project binky where they're fully building a car because they want to not because something broke and they need to fix it.

Some things are about the journey, some things are about the moment.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:27 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I totally understand. I guess part of it is this been there done that attitude, and I'm glad for the experience and knowledge but I don't need reps in something that doesn't make me healthier, happier, or richer because its just not that pleasurable for me. I change the oil on my cars on occasion just to keep undust the tools and such, but watching YouTube videos of guys like gears and gasoline just gives me more anxiety than enjoyment.

But like you, I really enjoy watching things like project binky where they're fully building a car because they want to not because something broke and they need to fix it.

Some things are about the journey, some things are about the moment.
That makes a lot of sense. I still change my oil when it is not part of the free maintenance package of a new car. It turns out to be more expensive when I do it a lot of times, but I suppose I want to feel useful and do SOMETHING. After completely finishing 3 basements all by myself, and working in the engine bay of an MR2, I swore off tools because I was just worn out and tired of cut up hands and bruised knuckles. And then I rebuilt my deck this summer. Sometimes I can't help myself.

It is odd, because I do not want to take on a car that might be a basket case, but if I do not have a project to work on I pace around the house. In Minnesota, it can be April, temps will be rising and the sun is out, and if you walk around the neighborhoods, men are out chipping at ice with shovels that would be melted by the end of the day if they just left it alone. We know this, we feel the need to do something. Fortunately, the NFL saves a lot of us from extra make-work for several weeks.

In my head a basket case car I can fix sounds great in retirement, but sounds like a boat anchor and money pit to me today.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:11 AM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

I have tried to like boxters, even tried autocrossing one at a practice event. Just never got any real smiles out of driving one. The MRS has been becoming more popular again. I like not buying new or close to new, so sorry, Japanese it is for me ;p

I may take a chance on a higher mileage Z06 one day for track fun depending on how prices go there.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (09-03-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I have tried to like boxters, even tried autocrossing one at a practice event. Just never got any real smiles out of driving one. The MRS has been becoming more popular again. I like not buying new or close to new, so sorry, Japanese it is for me ;p

I may take a chance on a higher mileage Z06 one day for track fun depending on how prices go there.

You know, I'm not surprised that the MRS is becoming more popular. I remember people used to rag on it about it having the wrong engine, not easy to work on, should've just bought a Miata. But it's funny how seemingly inferior cars become popular once they become rarer and therefore a bit more unaccessible. Same thing happened with the E30 and E36, and the clown shoe. A buddy of mine has an EP3 and it's funny watching people talk to him about with interest, when I owned mine brand new no one gave AF about it, which is why I was able to get a good car for a really really good price from the dealer. Now 944 and 928s are becoming more desirable as well. Hipsters exist in all facets of life.
mosesbotbol (09-13-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:39 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

The MRS is simply fantastic fun. I bought the best Exige made to finally replace mine, and sold the Exige instead. It was 10x the price and only marginally better. Besides, the PITA quirks alone are reason enough to choose the reliable toyota. I used to track my MRS and C6Z then C7Z back to back and the MRS is more fun in a lot of ways, in addition to being dirt cheap to run.

I would love to try a Boxster, but is an $8k boxster going to be an immediate $20k money pit?

Saki GT (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:10 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I bought a high mileage MRS 2 months ago for $3900, so I can relate to this article haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by WolfpackS2k:
rwheelz (09-13-2021), Saki GT (09-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Everyday Driver's 8 sports cars under $8k