Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Got 0wned by Philly traffic cop: Advice?

Old 09-30-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got 0wned by Philly traffic cop: Advice?

I was taking a nice, long 2AM recreational drive on Tuesday and got caught speeding (82 in a 55). While that on its own is bad enough, it couldn't have come at a worse time -- I moved from VA to NY a couple of months ago, and long story short, a dispute with my insurance carrier resulted in the car being dropped, which of course made it impossible to register the vehicle. So, I got caught for speeding, no registration, and no insurance They towed the car on the spot and dropped me off at a Greyhound. Hey, I f**ked up, and I realize that the cop was just doing his job.

While waiting the two hours for the next bus to NYC, I decided to look at all the paperwork he gave me -- $190 for speeding, a whopping $400 for no insurance, and a "Ask Court" for the lack of registration. Damn. I must've looked like Chris Tucker from that Friday pic in wantone's old sig

Any advice on how to get out of this? I'm already in the process of doing the NY registration (waiting for the certified copy of the title from the bank), and insurance will naturally come immediately after. Is there any way that I can get myself off the hook for those three tickets? The main goal would be to make sure that these do not appear on my record at NY DMV. Saving money on all those penalties would be a bonus (again, I know that they got me; I'm willing to take the fines like a man).
Old 09-30-2004, 10:55 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's truly messed up. However are you saying you don't have any insurance and yet you were speeding and now complaining because you got in trouble for no insurance and speeding while un-insured?

Insurance is a necessary evil. If you fooked somebody up while you had no insurance who is going to pay for it?

Old 09-30-2004, 11:06 AM

Not complaining necessarily. As I stated in my post, despite the fact that it was a midnight run with literally zero traffic on the road, I fully accept the fact that I was in the wrong and that the police officer was simply doing his job.

I'm still a young guy, but I don't deny the fact that I should have known better. Just looking for a way out of this bad situation that I got myself into.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:41 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry I must sound like dad on The Brady Bunch. I hope you can get out of it somewhat. I used to live in Philly. A lot of people in the city didn't have insurance. It was a big joke. Maybe they're stepping up their enforcement.

But maybe because of your situation you can get out of it some way. I don't know if it's possibe to back-date an insurance policy so that you could be covered after the fact and just tell them you didn't have your insurance card on you at the time?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 30 2004, 12:41 PM
Sorry I must sound like dad on The Brady Bunch. I hope you can get out of it somewhat. I used to live in Philly. A lot of people in the city didn't have insurance. It was a big joke. Maybe they're stepping up their enforcement.

But maybe because of your situation you can get out of it some way. I don't know if it's possibe to back-date an insurance policy so that you could be covered after the fact and just tell them you didn't have your insurance card on you at the time?
Its not possible to back date unless he has already requested to "bind" coverage and it dosent sound like he did.

Let me get this straight you were speeding with no license or reg? What about the reg from where you previously moved from? I think you may be able to fight the ticket but as far as the no reg or ins. they wont waive those unless you can prove you had those on that date of the incident, which you cant.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 30 2004, 03:41 PM
I just moved from Philly area. I think they stepped up enforcement big time about a year ago, maby more. If you aren't insured and registered-they tow you no matter what. Unpaid tickets......tow.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think reg and ins. citations will appear on you dmv public record. Traffic school for speeding? check out ticketassassin.com
Old 09-30-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mashoutposse,Sep 30 2004, 12:06 PM
Just looking for a way out of this bad situation that I got myself into.
Lets see how you might get out of it?

You could go to court, offer to donate a million dollars to the judge's favorite charity.

You could hire Johnny Cochrane, argue that it was your Stepford Wives robot driving and even file a suit against the robot.

You could escape to Lithiuania and never come back.

Or you could just do the time, and write the officer a thank you note for saving innocent lives of pedestrians he prevented you from hitting.

You stupid idiot for driving 82 on a city road at 2 am with no registration and no insurance.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:40 PM

Live and learn.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:33 PM

Get the car insured and registered before you go to court. The judge may let you off easy if you show that you fixed the problem. If you go in to court with excuses you will get slammed.

Get insurance and register it. When you get to court beg, plead and say you were in the process of getting the car registered and insured. You may be able to get traffic school for speeding. Dress nice, apologize and look pitiful.

There is not cheap or free way out of this.

Good luck.