Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda planning RSX revival? C-class sports coupe?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Honda planning RSX revival? C-class sports coupe?

Per MT - http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ots/index.html

Apparently Honda is doing an about-face on a small sporty Acura.

Is Honda Returning to Its Sports Car Roots?
Multiple Cars -- Including Acura RSX Successor -- Reportedly in the Pipeline
May 05, 2011

... According our sources, the next-gen RSX will inherit a version of the just-launched ninth-generation Civic Si's 201 hp, i-VTEC 2.4 liter gas engine with slick 6-speed manual and helical LSD. Fitted with specially tuned sports suspension, the new RSX will also employ an interior inspired by the current Civic Type R and an exterior in a sharp, wedge shape.

Further down the line, Honda is also said to be developing a "more reasonably priced" C-segment sports coupe. Driven by a strong request from North American Honda dealers, this coupe is being developed with that market in mind and will incorporate Accord hardware.
The RSX-replacement doesn't sound like much from the article, it sounds a lot like the car Honda axed years back.

Also, dealers are clamoring for a sporty coupe, perhaps looking for something to compete against the FR-S?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

This is the car they say will be a sub-TSX and sporty kinda like the Lexus IS350.

Well the IS350 is bigger in a lot of aspects than the TSX. They could just say they were bringing back the RSX.

Again whats the point. They discontinued the RSX because they did not want it to compete with the Civic Si So now they have two cars in the same segment, with the same features, only one has a logo where the calipers are closed and featured premium materials. Good luck Honda
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

There have been persistent rumours of a coupe for Acura for quite a while. However, the question remains as to whether it is a sub-TSX model (ie, RSX or similar) or a step above the TSX (either a TL-based or TSX-based coupe). Honestly, I don't see them making a smaller car than the TSX so I'm betting it'll be at least based off the TSX. A TSX-based coupe sounds like a good idea, especially if they throw in the big V6 and SH-AWD. I have zero interest in a big, powerful V6 FWD coupe from Acura. The CL was okay but it definitely wasn't "great".

The RSX was a hoot to drive but honestly, they'd need to bump up the power again or else there'd be no real reason to buy one over an Si that costs a little less but has all of the same features available (leather and navigation being big ones that would normally separate Acura from a Honda on the lower end of the vehicle spectrum).
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yawn.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123
yawn.
+1 For fuksakes quit making the same damn car over and over and over. Upgrade the engine to at least 225HP. Hell put the turbocharged 4 in there that you already make, do something, anything different! Shat!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When will Honda finally realize that no one wants to buy a 201 hp car anymore!! especially for the same price they can get a Mazda S3 or WRX...
This doesn't inspire me at all to think Honda is coming back. Unless this car is beautiful and sporty, which it wont be, i wont even take two looks ar it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

zzzzzzzz
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
When will Honda finally realize that no one wants to buy a 201 hp car anymore!! especially for the same price they can get a Mazda S3 or WRX...
This doesn't inspire me at all to think Honda is coming back. Unless this car is beautiful and sporty, which it wont be, i wont even take two looks ar it.
By "no one" I'm assuming you mean you and a handful of people you know, right?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly could see a new 4cylinder or small V6 SH-AWD 6speed manual or 5-6speed auto in this thing...

if they crammed the SH-AWD into the TSX, what's stopping them from doing it to a coupe?

They really need an acura coupe
Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I think the RDX turbo 2.4L motor, boosted slightly, would make a great sports car motor. Problem is, I'm not sure fuel economy would justify using it since the corporate 3.5L V6 would put out roughly equal power and torque (with the curves different, of course, compared to the turbo motor) while probably reducing cost, improving reliability and access to parts.

Quick Reply: Honda planning RSX revival? C-class sports coupe?