Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I want to buy a domestic car, but...

Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

........but I want a fun lightweight 2-seater convertible that takes turns with the precision of a surgeon's scalpel for about 30k

Which is not offered by government motors,fiat or the blue oval

The Kappa twins came close but are gone from production too like my beloved AP2
Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna buy z06...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of badge whores in this thread. I can understand being an elitist Mercedes, BMW or Porsche owner, but Honda and Toyota? LOLZ
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...but cocaine seems like a better way to blow my money
Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme,Jul 27 2010, 09:10 PM
...because my parents would disown me, my wife would divorce me, and my child would never speak to me again?

On that list, I'd buy the CTS or Fusion though.
Sounds like you have family issues!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockville,Jul 28 2010, 08:49 AM
Sounds like you have family issues!
Hardly surprising lol j/k

I wouldn't buy a domestic car b/c I don't like the image it comes with in my area along with the car not appealing to my taste. I don't like trucks so I wouldnt buy one period unless I needed constant towing capabilities. Every person in my area from 16yr olds to grandmothers put portholes/vents on the fender of their taurus/malibu/charger etc and they all look like baboon ass.

Would buy a zo6 though.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because no matter how much horsepower they throw at them.... one test drive solidifies they were all designed to become a cheap rental car.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

There are a couple of domestics I would consider buying. There are others that I think are good vehicles but I'm not in the market for them (pick-up truck, especially). However, I virtually never buy new so I'll definitely wait to see prices come down in the used market if I'm going to pick up one of these.

1. Mustang GT with the new 5.0L - love the motor (high revs plus big power and good torque), looks pretty good but pretty pricey with the nicer interior. Am not ready to pay $36K for a car that'll lose $6K when I drive it off the lot. Also, weight is still a bit high for my taste. I wish they'd keep it under 3300 lbs, preferably under 3200 lbs...

2. CTS-V sedan - perhaps the ultimate dadmobile for a guy with two kids (me) that is remotely affordable. Still, given half a chance, I'd probably take an M3 instead, regardless of whether it's slower or less reliable (yet to be determined). Still pricey so would not buy one yet.

3. C6 Z06 - would buy one in a heartbeat. 505 hp, great looks, reliable motor, does not need a single mod for me to be happy with it. Still moderately pricey (mid-$40K), though. Actual "competition" against this car would be a 2007 Cayman S or Boxster S, both of which are completely different cars in pretty much every way.

4. Ford Fusion - drove it in Colorado a year ago, loved almost everything about it (fully loaded) except a few ergonomic issues. Still not as nice as the Accord, in my opinion.

5. Buick Enclave - nice interior, drives well, decent room, decently built, looks great. Would be putting this up against an MDX or nicely optioned 4Runner, though, and I think both of those suit me a little better (especially the MDX). Perhaps the used market will show prices that are a little more palatable in comparison to the two imports I listed above.

There isn't a single small car made by a domestic manufacturer that I would buy right now. I wouldn't touch a minivan made by any of them. The mid-size range is still all Accord for me, though the Fusion is a compelling drive. I still think I'd be more tempted with a Sonata over a Fusion but have yet to drive a new Sonata.

In the cute-ute class, I'm looking for fuel mileage, roominess and build quality and the CR-V is still tops there, in my opinion. Everything I'm seeing for the Equinox is that it's pretty bad in the fuel efficiency department (compared to its EPA ratings) while the CR-V tends to exceed them. The Santa Fe is actually a contender as well.

I'm looking for a sports sedan or 2+2 coupe for my next car. The best of those are generally made by imports with the exception of the Mustang and CTS-V, which I listed above. The Camaro holds zero appeal to me, despite the great motor and good looks. It's just too heavy and deliberate for me; not much fun even if it's very quick.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

… because I like small, light, fun-to-drive car that has good look and nice interior. None of the American cars offers that (C6 comes close).
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already did. Corvette I would consider the 2011 5.0 as well or the SRT-10.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a domestic car, but...