Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I'm never buying another car...the S2000 has ruined me!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Congrats! I have a 2012 f30 335i sport line on order. Picking it up in Europe this June

Id go with a ecu flash over a piggyback. Look at cobb or ess or evolve. Those are "less" detectable than the jb4. BMW can tell that a piggybank was installed.
Congrats to you on the F30! If I were you I would be driving to the Nurburgring. Don't know if I would do it on my brand new F30, but maybe a rental.

As for the mods on my E90, I really want to, but I'm wary of voiding the warranty. I'm going to try to hold back and do it after the maintenance expires. The car is plenty powerful as it is, so I'm going to try to wait...

What color F30? and what options did you order?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lopro
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1330648278' post='21467928
Congrats! I have a 2012 f30 335i sport line on order. Picking it up in Europe this June

Id go with a ecu flash over a piggyback. Look at cobb or ess or evolve. Those are "less" detectable than the jb4. BMW can tell that a piggybank was installed.
Congrats to you on the F30! If I were you I would be driving to the Nurburgring. Don't know if I would do it on my brand new F30, but maybe a rental.

As for the mods on my E90, I really want to, but I'm wary of voiding the warranty. I'm going to try to hold back and do it after the maintenance expires. The car is plenty powerful as it is, so I'm going to try to wait...

What color F30? and what options did you order?
Thanks! I would take it to the Nurburgring, but it won't be open the days ill be there. However, ill be topping put the car on the autobahn for sure . ill take it easy for about 200 km and than go crazy. Most of the BMW engineers @ BMW Welt will tell you that 200-250 km is the most important. Also my car is leased so i don't feel bad on beating on it lol.

Maintenance is always included until 50k miles, even if they void your warranty. Warranty and maintenance are separate. The piggybanks are guaranteed to get you voided. They can tell that the DME (ECU) has been opened. With a ecu reflash like Cobb or ESS you just use the OBDII port. So it is less obvious. However, they can always pull the over boost codes, regardless of tune. Still i know tons of tuned 335s. Do not go to a Dinan Dealership b.c their warranty work gets checked with extra scrutiny. Or just get a Dinan Tune. More expensive ($1800ish compared to $900). But def. worth it if you have a lot of warranty left. Im going to be getting Dinan on my 1M since i have so much warranty left.

Heres my car:
2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Mineral Grey Metallic
Leather Dakota Coral Red
Brushed Aluminum Trim
Steptronic Auto Transmission
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Tech. Package
Sport Line

my euro Price - $46,035
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by s2slow206' timestamp='1330584945' post='21465184
CONGRATS!!! I just recently picked up a 335i coupe 6mt but I do still have the s2k. Visit bimmerpost lots of good info and pretty nice people there. First mod should be to paint the black grills and window trim if you didn't get the black trim already. Then JB4 chip and you should be net another 40-60 whp.
Is the JB4 chip detectable by the BMW technicians? I want to get one, but I still have CPO and maintenance for over 2 years! I definitely don't want to void any of that.

Did you install a JB4?
From what I have heard on the forums is that with the JB4 you can delete any tuner code that is left from the JB4. I have not yet installed it myself but will be come spring. I also have an extended warranty on my car, I would check out e90post.com they are tons of people who are running both the JB4 and Cobb it really comes down to your preference.

I chose the JB4 because I can switch to any map on the fly, it also has many other features like needle sweep like subaru has on start up, I believe it can data log also but not 100% sure. If you get the usb attachment you can update it and do other things with it. I would check out http://www.burgertuning.com they are the ones that created the JB4.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by s2slow206
Originally Posted by lopro' timestamp='1330629892' post='21466904
[quote name='s2slow206' timestamp='1330584945' post='21465184']
CONGRATS!!! I just recently picked up a 335i coupe 6mt but I do still have the s2k. Visit bimmerpost lots of good info and pretty nice people there. First mod should be to paint the black grills and window trim if you didn't get the black trim already. Then JB4 chip and you should be net another 40-60 whp.
Is the JB4 chip detectable by the BMW technicians? I want to get one, but I still have CPO and maintenance for over 2 years! I definitely don't want to void any of that.

Did you install a JB4?
From what I have heard on the forums is that with the JB4 you can delete any tuner code that is left from the JB4. I have not yet installed it myself but will be come spring. I also have an extended warranty on my car, I would check out e90post.com they are tons of people who are running both the JB4 and Cobb it really comes down to your preference.

I chose the JB4 because I can switch to any map on the fly, it also has many other features like needle sweep like subaru has on start up, I believe it can data log also but not 100% sure. If you get the usb attachment you can update it and do other things with it. I would check out http://www.burgertuning.com they are the ones that created the JB4.
[/quote]

Is needle sweep just for show? Or does it have some benefit?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Just for show
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM

im in the same boat, I wish honda would make something close to the S2k, 4 doors+rwd+K20= RWD civic SI
Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been months now since I sold my '04 Suzuka. Gave it up to get a more "practical" car since I have wife and 2 kids. When I had it, the S2000 would just languish in the garage until weekends or track day. I would always find excuses to run a weekend errand or leave the house very early in the morning to drive. As my wife put it, I would choose the car over my family.

So for now, I'm driving a company car...'08 Camry (it basically sucks, but it's hella practical). Ever since selling the S, I've been trying to find another car that would work for me. At first I was going to replace the S2000 with a Lotus Elise SC or Boxster S or something small and sporty, but my wife would still kick my arse for taking up garage space and never driving my precious sports car, especially since I take the kids to school everyday. So for now, 4 doors is my main requirement.

Problem is this...every time I think of something that would work, this little S2000 apparition starts floating above my shoulder and whispering things like, "you won't have as much fun in it as you did with me" or it'll say, "how much more is it going to take to maintain that car than me". Sometimes it says, "decent choice, but the purchase price is almost 3X what you paid for me". It even says, "that car is for douches!".

Imagine my dismay. I'm looking in the "not above $32K" price range, and there are a lot of options.

Thus far I've considered:

E55/E63 AMG - gas guzzler waay too much to maintain, although the E63 is more reliable. After initial buzz, I'll cry at the pump.
E550 - serious option, costly to maintain, but serious option
E90 M3 sedan - serious option, more costly service
335i - very much has my attention. Right now, this seems like the best middle ground. Rear legroom is very tight.
535i - probably more sensible choice, but doesn't handle that great for what I want.

...as you can see, I'm leaning toward the Germans. Either that, or driving this Camry until I get 300k miles on the odo.
Man, I'm in the same boat!

I have doubts about the reliability of both BMW and Merc, because I knew how they break down after 50k miles. I drove both E63 and CTS-V and between them, CTS-V was a lot better. CTS-V was really cheaply made inside though, but I can't stand Merc transmission... I'm spoiled too. None of the cars have that 9k redline thrill.

I know I"m going fast, but it just doesn't feel like I"m going fast... That was my problem with these v8's.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM

If you really like the 335i sedan, you should sit in/test drive a G37S sedan. Heavy, but spacious with lots of power on tap and its loaded with a lot of electronic gizmos. I'm assuming since you got two kids you'd probably want to spend the money on crayons and lunch boxes than Euro car repairs.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Your mistake was selling the S. Buy one and get on with life. Honestly, life is short. My S keeps me sane. I drive the snot out of it, or just cruise. My wife knows why I own the car, and she would never encourage me to sell it.

Buy the S, and find a marriage counselor. You guys have problems and don't know it. Your wife should never have pushed you to sell your pride and joy for a space in the garage.