Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Would you accept the system as explained?
Yes
3.45%
No
89.66%
Maybe, if changes were done
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Intel Working on Black Box for Your Car

Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intel Working on Black Box for Your Car

NY Times - Wheels Article

From the article...

Bad news for one company may be good news for another. Case in point: Toyota’s woes with recalls and mysterious acceleration problems may turn out to be a boon to tech companies like Intel, which already has its sights set on getting into your next car.

At a series of press events last month, Intel demonstrated some of its auto-oriented technologies, including an event recorder, or so-called black box, which Congress is pushing as part of a piece of auto safety legislation inspired by the Toyota unintended acceleration issue. Intel sees such a black box as a natural part of its Connected Car research.

To show off how it works, Intel outfitted a Smart Fortwo with WiMax, the 4G wireless system that can provide high-speed data and Internet connections to anything that moves. As part of the system, Intel’s event recorder would be able to record basic telemetry of the vehicle and information like whether the seat belts were being used at the time of an accident, and a whole lot more.

“With new vehicles, there will very likely be video cameras inside and outside,” said Intel’s chief technology office, Justin Rattner, in an interview. “It’s not particularly new or stunning, but when you combine the cameras with GPS, you’re geo-tagging the video.” Essentially, the Intel event recorder would record 30 seconds or more of video and know exactly where and when an accident occurred.

While Mr. Rattner doesn’t expect the videos to be sent directly to insurance companies, they do make it easier for the police and insurance investigators to reconcile discrepancies in eyewitness accounts.

The event recorder would also be tied directly into a car’s existing computer control modules, so that investigators would know when or if the brakes were applied, for example, or if there was some mechanical malfunction. With sophisticated computer vision systems, the event recorder would also be possible to see what a traffic signal indicated at the time of impact or whether the driver ignored an important road sign, like driving the wrong way on an exit ramp.

Other applications could also be tied to the connected car, including remote start, the ability to report the position of potholes to local road crews and the ability to send a video of a car thief directly to the owner’s cellphone.

But just how much would such a fancy black box cost? Mr. Rattner said reports of such a device increasing a car’s cost by thousands of dollars were unrealistic, even though car event recorders could potentially be more sophisticated than airplane black boxes (which do not record video, for example).

“Most of the hardware costs will already be in these vehicles,” said Mr. Rattner, pointing out that drowsy driver warning systems and parking assist packages in luxury cars already deploy several video cameras. Within a few years these are likely to be standard features, with lower costs.

“Even in the aftermarket, I would be surprised if it cost more than a decent security system or navigation system in a few years,” he said. And we all know what’s happened to the price of navigation systems.

=====

Besides the Toyota example, I suppose if you were the one hit by a negligent driver or someone stole your car, this may be a good thing.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would I pay for a system that exists solely to prosecute me in the case of a lapse of judgement or poor coordination? It's not like we have an epidemic of accidents caused by malicious drivers yet lack the evidence to prove it. And if someone steals my car, I'm not sure how having their picture on my cell phone does me any good at all.

The Toyota thing should highlight the inherent flaws in assuming electronic systems are infallible. I'd not want to be the guy who goes to jail because the recording system didn't record some key input that would have proved it was an accident and not malicious.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClean,Jul 12 2010, 06:08 PM
NY Times - Wheels Article

doesn’t expect the videos to be sent directly to insurance companies, they do make it easier for the police and insurance investigators to reconcile discrepancies in eyewitness accounts.

.[/i][/SIZE]
...and then insurance companies either make agreeing to this device and their access to it a prerequisite for coverage, or a substantial discount for same... which works out to be the same thing.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is: Who would own the data?

In the case of airliner black boxes, federal legislation assigns ownership of the black box and its data to the FAA.

But absent any new laws, it's my car. It's my data recorder. Therefore it's my data. So under what circumstances would I be compelled to disclose my data?

Andrew
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 12 2010, 10:31 PM
Why would I pay for a system that exists solely to prosecute me in the case of a lapse of judgement or poor coordination? It's not like we have an epidemic of accidents caused by malicious drivers yet lack the evidence to prove it. And if someone steals my car, I'm not sure how having their picture on my cell phone does me any good at all.

The Toyota thing should highlight the inherent flaws in assuming electronic systems are infallible. I'd not want to be the guy who goes to jail because the recording system didn't record some key input that would have proved it was an accident and not malicious.
It could also be used to prove your innocence, that you were not at fault, prove that you were not speeding, etc. It can work both ways.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 12 2010, 07:31 PM

You're on the ball lately.

Being that we live in a place called America where we don't have to prove our innocence, rather, they have to prove our guilt, I can't see how this would benefit us.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=david1,Jul 13 2010, 05:29 AM] It could also be used to prove your innocence, that you were not at fault,
Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jul 13 2010, 04:34 AM
The problem is: Who would own the data?

In the case of airliner black boxes, federal legislation assigns ownership of the black box and its data to the FAA.

But absent any new laws, it's my car. It's my data recorder. Therefore it's my data. So under what circumstances would I be compelled to disclose my data?

Andrew
I work for a plaintiff's firm and we litigate a lot of truck accident cases. The ECM on a semi truck is the property of the trucking company but we can compel them through a court order to give us the info.

If you are a defendant in a case it is in your best interest to not have any such data exist.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George Orwell is turning over in his grave.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 13 2010, 08:40 AM
If you are a defendant in a case it is in your best interest to not have any such data exist.
That's what I thought. With our legal system, I think this would be a bad thing.

Quick Reply: Intel Working on Black Box for Your Car