Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Supra - who wanted this?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
There's quite a difference going around a corner and braking in a lighter car vs. heavier one. No amount of hp can change that.
Don't think anyone is debating that. Ironically, people called the S2k fat at 2,900lbs. When pushed at the track the stock brakes also over heat.

It's really hard to have
light
safe
well balanced
well made
great brakes
great suspension
reliable
high reving 400-500hp motor
manual gear box
Mid-engine (either front or rear placed)
50/50 distribution
cabin worth spending time in
Reasonable tech
<$40K

Basically, that's what people on here seem to think is possible. Something has to give. I've been willing to have 600lbs more and spend another $20k. Seems to work well for a weekend toy and occasional track use. I'm by no means a track rat. For all the crap people give on here, I bet many of these guys are driving some boring sedan to work every day. You can call my daily a fatty but it's a blast to drive too, and it'll corner better then most expect pulling over 1G.

I think the real point in this discussion should get back to why, we the car buyers, are causing the very products we don't want to see. The way I see it. Because we're not really buying the cars we say we like, companies are forced to do wonky things like this recent supra. It's a joke if you give it some perspective. Porsche is having no trouble selling their cars, be it at a much higher price point. Ford sells there stuff all day long. Dodge. GM. You get my point. It seems like the 3 Japanese car companies have lost their way building boring sedans and won't risk putting out a good product. Then add people on here talking about how amazing a mini van is. Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. Let's review school busses next...

Maybe I just out grew internet car forums....
Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

I heard the same thing rob, for years. Those of us waiting for a DIT 5 door STI. All the time I read "people say they want this but then won't buy it if it comes out". I sure did. I always vote with my wallet.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone seen one in the flesh yet? I haven't seen one here in NorCal which seems odd.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4
Has anyone seen one in the flesh yet? I haven't seen one here in NorCal which seems odd.
Saw a yellow one in Fremont off of Automall not too long ago. I'm a huge fan of how it looks in person.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4
Just this past weekend. I wasn't all that enamored with the photos of the car and after seeing one on the road I actually feel that it looks better in the photos. I was really struck by the overall Toyota family styling resemblance. Those who dig the looks of Toyota vehicles in general will be sure to appreciate the looks of this car. Others not so much. But I get that such things are incredibly subjective. For what it is worth, much was written to the same effect about the S2000 when it was first released. Many people felt that the S2000 largely reflected Honda's somewhat simple and bland approach to styling during that era. I don't see the S2000 that way, and overall I much preferred Honda's styling efforts back then as compared to today. But plenty of others feel differently and they'll likely greet the looks of the new Supra with much enthusiasm.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Im seeing more and more of them here in Los Angeles.

Saw 3 yesterday.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
I mean the MKIV Supra never really handled well IMO and the brakes and body roll put me off at the track... This new Supra is a breath of fresh air IMO.
Not sure what your basis of comparison is with that statement. The Supra TT outperformed all other sports cars anywhere near it in price when it came out.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
The Supra TT outperformed all other sports cars anywhere near it in price when it came out.
Pretty sure the 3000GT VR4 and the RX7 were faster to 60mph. The RX7 also stopped better and may have achieved higher slalom numbers.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Not sure what your basis of comparison is with that statement. The Supra TT outperformed all other sports cars anywhere near it in price when it came out.
Basing my opinion from driving a friends at the track many years ago. I didn't particuarly care for how it handled.

Good power but agility was not one it's strengths.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Basing my opinion from driving a friends at the track many years ago. I didn't particuarly care for how it handled.

Good power but agility was not one it's strengths.
IIRC the Supra was the straight line powerhouse while the Celica was the car meant for handling. I could be wrong though as i cant site my sources lol.

Quick Reply: The new Supra - who wanted this?