Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX vs 996 Turbo

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirtle
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1302396966' post='20448705
You've only pointed out that the NSX has less performance. You don't think it looks good but most of us do. You've also ignored the FEEL of the car, the excellent sight lines and the daily driveability that far surpasses the S2000 to which you compared it. You just don't apparently value those things as much as others. Yes, the Porsche is also a capable daily driver but it does have more expensive known issues, it is more expensive to maintain/repair and it definitely looks much more plebeian. The fact that a few automotive fans will know what you're driving is hardly a comfort when almost everyone else in the world thinks it's "just another Porsche"... Pedigree certainly doesn't make me feel any better when I'm driving a car and it's probably similar for most people. A car that had Ayrton Senna to help dial it in has as much pedigree as I need.

An NSX is a fabulous car if you drive it fairly sanely on the street. It is only on a track or drag strip that the lack of POWER would let you down. The handling is still great, the brakes are great for street driving (a little undersized for the track, especially with stock pads and fluid, but most people change those out), the interior is still comfortable and well put together (I hate the steering wheel, though) and the car absolutely turns heads, especially with some aftermarket wheels.

All in all, I think you're dismissing its strengths because you were disappointed, not because the car wasn't great. You may have even raised your expectations to a point where no car in that price or power range could have met them.
I am unsure if you are stupid or not, but you completely misunderstood, and falsely misinterpreted my entire post. What is the "FEEL" of the NSX? Do you know? I said it was a great cruiser, I never said it was a horrendous bucket. As for looks, it IS a good looking car, but it is DATED. Jeeeesh. And by value more than others you mean....get down on my knees and falsely worship something that IS NOT AS GOOD (which doesnt mean it is BAD) as I THOUGHT it was?

The NSX was a better car on the track than on the street, so I have no idea where you're getting your information from. At about here I am thinking you're talking out of your ass and don't own one. The interior is bland. It sucks. It looks like a 90's Prelude FFS. How you can't consider that interior DATED is far and beyond me. It looks and feels similarly to other 90's japanese sports cars - Supra, 300zx, etc... I don't even want to begin to comment on your comparison to Ayrton Senna having helped develop the car and a pedigree

I was dissapointed - I was simply given a REAL dose of what the car was instead of believing the BS posted by most NSX fanatics (and there are many, such as yourself obviously) that led me to believe it was something that clearly, it was not.

Next time lets try reading the entire post.
Most NSX owners know what they are getting into when paying 30k+ for a 20 year old car. Most owners give more weight to the NSX strength such as daily drive friendly, comfort, seating position, high speed stability, handling, all aluminum body, mid engine, great community etc. compares to its weakness such as lack of HP, tall 2nd gear, vague/not as tight steering, no power steering, dated interior, dated exterior, expensive parts, crap 1st gen ABS, expensive clutch/WP/TB maintenance etc. But most of their weakness can be fixed now a days while keeping its strength. NSX is not for everyone. Different stroke for different folks.

I guess NSX does get hype up a bit, but you really cannot describe the NSX as hype since it does holds its own.

If you buy the NSX solely based on a childhood dream than you will most likely be disappointed. You will be much happier with the car by knowing what you are actually paying for when buying.

May I ask how long have you owned your NSX? what year? Are you on prime? Just asking since you think owning a NSX is as affordable as owning a S2000.

Hugo
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The NSX is a great car. I've driven it, and would love to own one. It just is really primative now. Sad but true.
To many it is a dream, and I too would love to have a collection, and it would include a Zanardi edition.

I cross shopped, and even waffled a few times one way and then back.
I went 996TT and have had a host of issues, but I was a mechanic for many years and I am able to deal with most anything. I've modded it a bit to fit what I want it to do.
Mods include PSS10's, Milltek exhaust, 997SSK, GT3 console delete, Rennline trackmats, OEM Aerokit wing and splitter, 16/16G Hybrid blowers with EPL flash. It makes a tick over 600, and excites every time.

Let's keep the discussion about cars too and not make it personal fellas. Anyone who is a car guy just loves either of these cars. It's impossible not to.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 PM

To each their own. The NSX is not a bad car, it is just not a "performer" in todays exotic market. As mentioned however, there are many other reasons they have their appeal, and if overall stock performance is not a massive influential point for purchasing a car, then the NSX is still a good option.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM

996 doesn't even have a 3 spoke steering wheel? At least from the picture someone posted..

I'm curious why you're cross shopping a RWD and AWD though. Seems like it'd make more sense to compare the NSX with the Carrera S. I'm pretty sure the Turbo will be faster, but both of them are comfortable as daily drivers. Personally I'd go for the NSX because it's just more special. Not to say that the Turbo is bad, it definitely is really quick and also really good to drive I'm sure, but it's just another 911.

What I mean is, they already replaced it with the 997 and they're going to replace it yet again, and so on. Let us know how the NSX is after you get it! And pics please =]
Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

The NSX is for honda fanboys. The price to age to performance ratio is ridiculous. They are outlandishly overpriced.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased an NSX over a Porsche 911 and although I disagree with your opinion about the look of the NSX, I actually laughed (in a good way) reading your post. Sounds like you bought the NSX for something it didn't have and then got disappointed when you found out. different stroke for different folks.

Originally Posted by Squirtle
Originally Posted by MBHs2k' timestamp='1300523081' post='20377570
I personally have never cared for the NSX. I would take the Porsche in a heart beat. To me, the NSX is extremely dated.
I guess both cars would be great to own but i wold rather have the Porsche
I read through the whole thread and really the only post that caught my attention was this one. I wanted to give a huge thanks to you since you seem to know that the NSX "hype" is largely built off its Honda fanboy base which consists mostly of lower end sports car owners.
(snip)
Let the NSX stay the dream you've always had. Don't ruin it by owning one.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last night at work an older model NSX came in (flip lights). It looked like it was in pristine condition and was completely stock. I tried so hard to like it. I looked it up and down left right and tried my best but in the end just saw an awesome design in the rear end but was executed to look cheap. The car has no body lines and looks so plain. I hear people say that the interior of the NSX is nice. This baffles me every time. I have sat in a few, and like one said earlier, it looks like my 5th gen prelude did except with leather seats.It has cheap gauges, basic plastic buttons. This was meant to be a supercar??
If i had endless amounts of money would i own an NSX. yes because its rare. If i wanted another sports car to replace my S would i buy it. No, i personally feel that it would be a major downgrade.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally love the look of the exterior though I have to agree in the interior looks outdated. I loved the NSX ever since I first saw it, though I've grown out of the thought that flip lights were awesome like I did as a kid. I still remember watching the BMI videos of the type R racing the 996 turbos, lambos and the 360 ferraris, watching it lose on the straights and catch up in the turns. Exciting but I realize the US models were nowhere near as fast and even for the type R it barely kept up. Once it was passed it was over.

When I was looking to buy my S2000 I thought I probably could afford an NSX if I saved a bit longer but honestly, it just didnt seem worth it. I love the car but for how old it is, I wouldn't pay anywhere near what theyre asking for it. If I ever had extra money for a car just to have one I'd love to have one but I'd probably want an Atom before an NSX sadly.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently in the market for a 996 myself. I love my honda's but even na the porsche will whip the nsx. Plus the as stated there is no comparison interior wise. For me this wouldn't even require thought. Plus Porsche just sounds better than Acura.

Quick Reply: NSX vs 996 Turbo