Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K to 06 WRX... give me some suggestions

Old 07-21-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K to 06 WRX... give me some suggestions

I am seriously thinking of doing the trade. My main reason was to have more room and comfort without sacraficing performance.

I was looking at getting an 06 TR WRX in black. Mods I would plan- Stage 2 from Cobb (ECU flash and TBE) and stage 2 suspension from cobb (springs, sways, supporting mods) This would put it at higher performance than the S2K in terms of a straight line as 06 Stage 2s have been running 13.3 1/4 miles. With some nice tires and wheels (Planning on gold Rota tourques with Hankook RS2s or the new Falkens) it would handle great. I think with my driving abilites I would be able to handle the WRX better than the S2K with these mods.

Looks of course go to the S2K. I think with my mods the WRX would look fine- lowering, gold wheels on black car, likely a front lip and clearing the headlights and painting the housing black. Still, this will never turn as many heads as the S2K. I would want to swap out the ugly stock "altezza" looking taillights or at least red them out.

Comfort and room both go to the WRX. The S2K feels cramped and I find myself not wanting to drive it as much because of this. I also never really wanted a convertable- I would rather have a hardtop. I bought the S2K more for performance than because it was a roadster. It was the only convertable I was looking at when I wanted a car.

Right now my ap1 has Powdercoated black wheels, Ap2 front end conversion and bridgestone s02s. If I kept it I would add Swift Springs to drop it and a HKS exhaust with a test pipe.

Any suggestions?

bleh, I hate making decisions like this. I am always afriad I am going to regret it.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 PM

Honestly, I can't say anything negative about wrx's. I owned 2 in the past. With the mods you listed and the fact that the 06's have the 2.5 then it would be a fun drive. You will definitely notice a difference in handling, even with mods, I personally don't think they compare. I have a friend with an 05 with pretty much the same mods(up,down,catback,accessport,suspension) and my s2k still takes him in handling and it's always close in a race from a roll, sometimes me, sometimes him.

Bottom line, if you don't care about losing the convertable then you will be happy with the wrx. Out of the box there is no comparison at all, but with supporting mods it will get closer to the experience of the S.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:16 PM

good car! i like them but i love the old bug eyed ones.
A
Old 07-22-2006, 06:07 AM

I just traded in my '03 S2000 for an '05 STi a couple months ago.

When you're in the mood the S2000 is the PERFECT car. When you're not, it's cramped, slow (because nobody feels like winding it out to 9k if they're not in the mood), loud, and impractical. I consider myself a huge driving enthusiast, but having one for a daily driver can get tiresome.

Quickie list:
  • Torque- Going from the peakiest of motors (F20C) to this thing couldn't be any different. Power comes on low (and quick) and then about stays even to redline. 1st and 2nd are nuts - but I'm used to the power already.
  • Space/ease of access- Nice to have it back.
  • Visibility- Missed you too.
  • Seats- Love the look of the cloth/alcantara two tone, but they're too wide for my skinny ass.
  • Brakes- Awesome.
  • Features I'll never use but are cool to show off- DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Diff), adjustable headlights, intercooler water sprayer.
  • Build quality- On par for new cars, and at least 2 times better than the Honda. I know it comes with 'convertible territory' but those MFer's rattle like crazy. Less rattles in the STi, much quieter on the road (though the RE070's are LOUD tires).
  • Shifter- MY05's have the 'short shift' (option in '04's I think). It's alright, but complete shit compared to the Honda. That thing fell straight from the heavens.
  • Slow speed handling- I don't have the balls to fool around at high speeds yet, but it's not as nimble as the Honda.
  • Sound- This one kind of goes either way. A tiny four banger revving 9k (particularly with an open cone filter) is a completely different beast than the boosted boxer engine. I can't decide on this one.
  • Climate control- Never had an automatic one...it's a nice-to-have.
  • Looks- My roommate still has an S2000...and goddamn it's a pretty car. Can't look at the STi and say that.
I had the same fear of regretting it...and on those perfect evenings where all I want to do is go for a drive with the top down, I do. Overall though, I'm much happier with the STi.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:21 PM

I would definatly go for an STi but I am skeptical of buying a used one and new ones are way out of the price range.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the WRX.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't do it. WRX doesn't appeal to me and nothing really impressed me enough to want to take one home.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:17 PM

dont do it. in the end you'll have nothing more than an Impreza econo-box thats been tuned... you wont get as many looks in that... the tranny isn't as good... won't handle as good... and there are many more WRX owners than S2000 owners.

However if you do end up going for the WRX, go for the STi...

But that's my opinion, its really your call and what you want in a car.

Best of luck,

Frank
Old 07-22-2006, 09:45 PM

don't do it unless you're getting an STi
-Chris
Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 AM

I went from an 03 AP1 to an 05 STi and have never looked back.

Good luck with your decision

Quick Reply: S2K to 06 WRX... give me some suggestions