Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Safety Concerns With Riding a Bike?

Old 05-10-2002, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Concerns With Riding a Bike?

ive always wanted a bike, and will be able to purchase one soon if all goes well. but i in the back of my head, i have always been a little scared of the thought of an accident or fall on a bike. to all the bike veterans out there, if a bike is ridden properly, is it no more dangerous than a car? also, what are some tips or tricks to stay safe on a bike? any comments about how you have fared with your bike safely would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's more dangerous than a car...there's no way around that. The vast majority of accidents, however, are caused by lack of proper training & alcohol.

I started street riding 4 yrs. ago, and have yet to crash on the street, though I've had 5 crashes on the track. No injuries, though, which is a testament to how great safety gear works.

If you want to be safe, here are my tips:
1) take the MSF class first
2) buy high quality gear, and always wear it...if it's too hot to wear your gear, it's too hot to ride
3) buy an appropriate bike for your skill level.
4) never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol

I also prefer to ride more in the country than in urban settings, but that's more of a personal preference.

In my experience, motocross is what's dangerous - it scares the hell out of me!
Old 05-11-2002, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djmano
[B]ive always wanted a bike, and will be able to purchase one soon if all goes well.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:16 PM

I will say this. There is more of a likelihood that you might have a problem, but in many ways it's not much greater than the ownership of a S2K. Most of your problem is just plain invisibility. Sure there is no getting around the fact that being new on a bike and / or being stupid (doing things you don't have the skills for) might get you hurt. It's learning to be seen and assuming that all cars (cages) are "out to get you", will in time make you a better rider and driver. This stuff is NOT rocket science. Take the classes, learn situational awareness, learn to be a defensive rider, and be patient about your skill level (or lack of).

You may decide to ride with other people that from all appearances really know their stuff. Ride at the back of the pack and watch the lines through corners these guys take. If they are wide and into the other lane...back the hell off and find someone else to watch and learn from. You will come to the realization that there is a big difference between being "quick" and being "fast'. Develop your own pace and don't allow yourself to be pressured in to doing things you don't feel right about. You should be OK!
Old 05-12-2002, 11:47 PM

Everyone's advice so far are very true statements. Motorcycling is indeed far more dangerous than driving, simply because you are so exposed and there is no "cage" to protect you in case of a collision or crash. I can't really think of anything to add because everyone's summed up most of the main key factors to safe riding: MSF Course, Safety Gear, Being Alert, etc. While taking a class, practicing, and wearing safety gear are things you can do to make riding more safe, staying alert is what will keep you safe while riding. Always be on the lookout and ready to react to different situations! Of course this doesn't mean you have to be paranoid and not enjoy your ride, but riding a motorcycle is pretty much a tiring task because of the level of awareness you have to maintain at all times.

So yes, practice lots, know your limits, ride within your limits, and don't give in to peer pressure! Ride with people you trust and are comfortable with, and have no problem with slowing down to let you keep up at your own pace. Remember, always keep your head screwed on straight. Stay safe!
Old 05-18-2002, 10:59 AM

When I'm riding my motorcycle, it requires about twice as much attention as driving a car. There are things that you can do to keep from getting hit by that big SUV beside you, like not riding next to it in the first place. I make it a point to not be next to moving cars in the other lanes, and pass them quickly to get to the next clear spot. Take the MSF beginner course before getting a bike, even to help you decide if you want to get one. Then after a few months and a thousand or two miles of riding, take the MSF experienced rider course. They have many more tips there on how to avoid most of the dangers you're likely to encounter.

Personally, I don't like riding on city streets or freeways, so I stick mostly to back roads. City streets where someone can turn left in front of you are the most dangerous, followed by city streets where people can pull out in front of you from the right. You just have to recognice the dangers and do all you can to put yourself in a position where the other drivers can't get you, even if they try.

My frame of mind while riding is that it's like a game where any car I'm not watching can pull out in front of me and hit me, so I watch all threats. You can ride reasonably safely, but it is work.

There are a few good motorcycle safety sites on the internet that you should be able to find from google.com or some other search engine. Some study in that area could be worthwhile for you.