Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S lead list of fastest-selling cars

Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bad feeling this car will follow the trend of having huge demand in the first couple of years and then it starts to slump after all the people who have been waiting on it to release get their hands on one. Hopefully I'm wrong. And I really hope they keep updating the car to keep it current rather than let it go stale like Honda did with the NSX/S2000 by not providing bumps in power over the years.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
I have a bad feeling this car will follow the trend of having huge demand in the first couple of years and then it starts to slump after all the people who have been waiting on it to release get their hands on one. Hopefully I'm wrong. And I really hope they keep updating the car to keep it current rather than let it go stale like Honda did with the NSX/S2000 by not providing bumps in power over the years.
Subaru might not let it rot on the vine since they aren't really big enough to ignore one of their models. Then again, I completely agree and fear you are right. The current sales are almost certainly based on pent up demand, not long term stability.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe Honda will bring back a decent sports car! Doubtful but wishful thinking haha. Maybe the return of the prelude but with rwd and a large displacement 4cyl motor or v6. boosted haha
Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hype will wear off, as will the sales, so I think Toyota and Subaru made the right production amount for the first year. If the car succeeds, then the people buying the current model may be upset and disappointed in a few years. I remember my buddy in 04 buying the GTO, as they initially sold well, but faded fast. Then they give it the LS2 motor with 50 more HP, the car sells below invoice, and by 06 they were selling them well below invoice. Hell, I almost bought one as I test drove a new 06 and could have gotten it for $6000 off msrp. This car won't die anywhere near that quickly, but Toyota and Subaru likely won't take any chances, and we will see upgrades, and a jump in HP, as the MSRP goes up, but the car sells for a bit less due to the hype being worn off, and no more people willing to pay near MSRP. Then, the original BRZ and FR-S loses it's luster, and becomes affordable used.

I see a 4-5 year production max, with the demand plummeting fast mid way through the second year. I can also see them upgrading the car after two model years, and giving it more HP. While the MSRP will go up, the deals will be better. There is just no way they can sell 16000 units for more than 2 years. Whether they can accept selling 6-7000 models a year, or they stop making them is anyone's guess.