Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

by what i know im not obligated to get insurancee.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Florida does not mandate insurance as far as to get a license plate. With a car, you have to show proof of insurance, a bike you do not.

That does not mean that you dont need insurance. If you get pulled over, you will get a ticket for not carrying insurance. When I first insured my 92 cbr 600, on my own policy (age 19) with two tickets and lowest deductables, it cost 360 a year for full coverage. A new bike will cost more... but thats the good thing about buying used. I dont understand how people spend 8-15k for a new bike that is a very commonly stolen item in Florida and not have the money for insurance.

At least get insurance that will cover theft and that way you dont have to worry about it as much. Remember that it only takes 1 minute of being parked in a parking lot for your bike to dissapear. Do you want to be paying on a 10k loan for something you dont have? Two people lift it into a truck and its gone. If you cant afford the insurance, you cant afford the bike.

BTW, I used progressive for both my bikes. Geico was a little cheaper, but they didnt have the instant online quotes, so they were too slow. As stated above, having taken the MSF course also helped reduce the price of insurance.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by aero3685,Apr 2 2007, 11:38 AM
Florida does not mandate insurance as far as to get a license plate. With a car, you have to show proof of insurance, a bike you do not.

That does not mean that you dont need insurance. If you get pulled over, you will get a ticket for not carrying insurance. When I first insured my 92 cbr 600, on my own policy (age 19) with two tickets and lowest deductables, it cost 360 a year for full coverage. A new bike will cost more... but thats the good thing about buying used. I dont understand how people spend 8-15k for a new bike that is a very commonly stolen item in Florida and not have the money for insurance.

At least get insurance that will cover theft and that way you dont have to worry about it as much. Remember that it only takes 1 minute of being parked in a parking lot for your bike to dissapear. Do you want to be paying on a 10k loan for something you dont have? Two people lift it into a truck and its gone. If you cant afford the insurance, you cant afford the bike.

BTW, I used progressive for both my bikes. Geico was a little cheaper, but they didnt have the instant online quotes, so they were too slow. As stated above, having taken the MSF course also helped reduce the price of insurance.
This is 100% completely un true. You do not need to have any kind of insurence in florida for any bike. I have three bikes and have been pulled over many times and have never had a ticket for no insurence. and the cops have never asked for it either. Not to mention one of my riding buddies is a miami dade cop and he said there is no law for bikes to have insurence. There was a few years back if you wanted to ride with no helmet you must carry insurence but he thinks that changed already.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Read the post again. The first line says, " Florida does not mandate insurance as far as to get a license plate. With a car, you have to show proof of insurance, a bike you do not."
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 2 2007, 09:36 PM
Read the post again. The first line says, " Florida does not mandate insurance as far as to get a license plate. With a car, you have to show proof of insurance, a bike you do not."
keep reading past that where it says that doesn't mean you don't need it and will get a ticket if pulled over which would mean you are forced to have it. Which once again is completely un true
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM

you may not be required to have it if Florida, but in the unfortunate even you get in a wreck doing insane speeds and hurt/kill an innocent person or passenger, I can assure you a civil suit would be filed against the person operating the bike. also, bikes are easy for thieves to steal (two guys and a truck) so full coverage will save you sooner or later. I've got two buddies who have had theirs taken from their garages while they were home and SOL bc they only had liability coverage.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TMMR03,Apr 5 2007, 10:04 AM
you may not be required to have it if Florida, but in the unfortunate even you get in a wreck doing insane speeds and hurt/kill an innocent person or passenger, I can assure you a civil suit would be filed against the person operating the bike. also, bikes are easy for thieves to steal (two guys and a truck) so full coverage will save you sooner or later. I've got two buddies who have had theirs taken from their garages while they were home and SOL bc they only had liability coverage.
i'm not disagreeing with that. But what was said above about needing insurances is not true. that was my point
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

No insurance What's next no helmet and riding in flip flops
Old 04-05-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE,Apr 5 2007, 04:02 PM
No insurance What's next no helmet and riding in flip flops
if your 21 or older you don't have to wear a helmet in florida. personally I have around 15 lids now and i wear pretty much all of them so its not an issue for me.