Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why order awd in warm weather states?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> snow tires w/ 2wd > all seasons w/ 4wd >>>>> summers w/ awd
Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed... with the post above.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM

I live in Chicago and I don't even want AWD

I loved the look on my BMW salesman's face when I told him I didn't want the AWD even though BMW was throwing it in free as a promotion
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jan 12 2011, 06:11 PM
Not in Canada or anywhere that it gets truly cold. -20F or lower will have your summer tires so hard they won't even roll properly, much less grip. You need winter tires or at least all-seasons on an AWD vehicle to make it perform better, overall, than a 2WD vehicle with dedicated snow tires. Even with all-seasons, AWD will have a VERY tough time on ice. Snow is less of an issue but unless I'm in real rock-and-roll conditions (super heavy snow where a locking diff helps a lot), I'd pick 2WD with snows over AWD with all-seasons in truly cold weather.

A friend of mine had brand new all-seasons on her Toyota and she got stuck on a flat road with just a bit of snow and ice. Why? It was -20F outside and the tires were hard as rocks with no grip.
Should've specified. I wasn't talking about artic frigid temps. Yes, I know the concept of summer tires hardening up. It snows and ices in North Texas as well but never in the region of negative temps.

With that said, all season tires are pretty sufficient around our neck of the woods. Even more effective with AWD. It wasn't a debate over if snow tires handled better in snow vs all seasons. Kind of a given?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by shyong,Jan 12 2011, 10:51 AM
Should've specified. I wasn't talking about artic frigid temps. Yes, I know the concept of summer tires hardening up. It snows and ices in North Texas as well but never in the region of negative temps.

With that said, all season tires are pretty sufficient around our neck of the woods. Even more effective with AWD. It wasn't a debate over if snow tires handled better in snow vs all seasons. Kind of a given?
I suspect if I lived in your neck of the woods I would do exactly as you have done... not bother with snow tires.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Jan 12 2011, 06:56 PM
I suspect if I lived in your neck of the woods I would do exactly as you have done... not bother with snow tires.
I haven't driven on snow tires in ages. It's been a very long time since I've seen ambient neg temp (without windchill factor). Don't get me wrong though, whenever it does ice over or snow around the Dallas area, I do go about wishing how snow tires would be really nice to have. The entire area shuts down with a less than a foot of snow. It really is enjoyable driving around here w/ snow knowing it'll be gone the next day. However, from time to time we do get that occasional "blizzard" with snow around for a few days.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Funny thing I saw in the SF Bay Area. Saw a BMW 7 series with winter tires during Xmas. I was like what? Guess he must go to Tahoe a lot, and don't care the tires don't last.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Jan 12 2011, 10:18 AM
snow tires w/ 2wd > all seasons w/ 4wd >>>>> summers w/ awd

Not all all-season tires are created equal. I grew up in Idaho, and had frequent double digit negatives in the winter. I've seen all season tires that where awful, and others that made snow tires completely unneeded. I lived on a very steep hill (near 45 degrees), and had a concrete driveway on the north side of the mountain. (In other words it was frequently covered in a sheet of ice) My AWD G35 with all season tires never slipped once going up or down, but my in-laws Corolla even with snow tires had to be parked at the bottom of the hill at times because it couldn't make it up. They also slid out onto the roadway several times, and I never had a problem stopping when I got to the bottom.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Agree with many posts. Any amateur auto enthusiast knows AWD doesn't automatically make you safer. It all comes down to driver skill and quality of tires.

And any warm weather state residents know that most other people can't drive for sh!t in the rain.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts

I'll always take more grip Alex! Such snobs here. Bitching about how OTHER people spend their money

I live in TX and my car is AWD. We've had snow/ice on the ground all week. I've driven every day this week and every day I've seen someone in a wreck. I love AWD, especially in the rain. jonboy has said, repeatedly, how AWD is a waste in TX and I disagree. This week and every time it rains I am reminded of why AWD is superior.

Quick Reply: Why order awd in warm weather states?