Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why order awd in warm weather states?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides some of the reasons already given, I believe the reason may lie with the inherent characteristics of AWD.

An increased confidence behind the wheel due to the car's planted, sure-footed-ness. <--- MrClean-ism.

I know when I drove/drive AWD vehicles, I love the "clawing" feeling you get upon hard acceleration or the extra grip when accelerating through and out of turns. It really makes the car feel unflappable.

Now add to this, driving in snowy or cold climates, and it's a no-brainer the advantages of AWD, but even without such climate driving, it really is a great feeling.

On the flip side, there is added weight and less thrill for some AWD systems when compared to the RWD counterparts.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not everybody in the nation lives on a paved road. And AWD on gravel is fun.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jan 13 2011, 10:44 AM
I guess that all depends on what conditions you're talking about. Given that 49 states currently have some snow or ice cover, it's safe to say that southerners will ocassionally find themselves in this pardicament.

With that said, I think its makes far more sense for the average person to have a flexible daily setup like an AWD car on AS tires, than to have a set of dedicated winter tires for those 4 days a year that they'll need them. As we all know, winter tires have a short effective life span, so really its the AWD/AS setup that is both safer (no planning necessary) and less wasteful.
Thats how I am living. I do not need my awd, but i love it rain or shine. Esp, when i got jackknifed in the RR while raining and was able to regain control of my fishtail.
Nice day here in SD btw....
Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM

With AWD you can race people easily from light to light, great to pass somebody at stop lights when you are in the wrong lane.

I always tended to be stuck in some oil/gas patches at stop lights where my rear tires would spin
Old 01-15-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question would be. Why criticize what cars people spend their money on? Its not like they are spending your money. If that is the car they want what business is it of yours.

Ok they did not buy the perfect car for you. But I think that is the point, they are buying the car for themselves not to gain your approval.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure it is "criticizing" to merely as "why?"

Nobody yet has mentioned gravel roads. It's not like the whole country is paved. There are lots of really nice smooth gravel roads that can be downright scary with summer tires on a RWD sports car. Dirt roads are not bad with RWD summer tires, but gravel is really fun in a vehicle that has traction on it.

And if you've never driven an AWD car hard, you might be tempted to buy one just to see how it is different than FWD/RWD. Has nothing to do with need, merely variety.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Not many guys I know want to be flinging their semi-expensive sports car (their vehicular pride and joy) around a dirt road, showering their fenders and bodywork with sharp rocks and dirt...
Old 01-16-2011, 03:03 PM

And nobody who lives out in the country can afford a semi-expensive car either, right?

I love the idea that people think EVO's and STI's are awesome cars because of their rally background but wouldn't ever drive one on a dirt road /cuz it might get dirty.

Have you never seen the Subaru commercials showing people who refuse to wash their car because they want to show off the mud from a camping trip?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jan 16 2011, 04:03 PM
And nobody who lives out in the country can afford a semi-expensive car either, right?

I love the idea that people think EVO's and STI's are awesome cars because of their rally background but wouldn't ever drive one on a dirt road /cuz it might get dirty.

Have you never seen the Subaru commercials showing people who refuse to wash their car because they want to show off the mud from a camping trip?
Absolutely. I have an 09 STI and it's already full of scratches from agressive driving on dirt and gravel. It's where the car really shines. I'm proud when it's dirty.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Some people just don't get awd.

Quick Reply: Why order awd in warm weather states?