Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why are S2K owners so fasinated with the 350Z?

Old 12-13-2002, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the the controversy began when people underated the S2000 and overrated the 350Z. A lot of people assumed because the 350Z has 287hp vs. the S2000 240hp the 350Z would be much faster than the S2000. Friends that I've talked to have made that assumption and when I've looked at the forums it seemed to mirror that. It goes a little deeper than this but I don't want bore anyone
Old 12-13-2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by I am Jack's VR6

I'm just curious, that's all. I don't really think the S2K had any same-class competition (from newer cars). Along came the Z and a lot of people started posting that they wouldn't mind racing the Z, or they ran a Z and it's wasn't as fast as they thought etc... Just downplaying it in general.
People who love cars, they also enjoy reading about cars ........... go figure. So we have this forum called Car Talk to discuss all kinds of cars. Personally, I like em fast and well balanced. Anyway, do you know anything about the history of the Z-car?? In 1970 the Datsun 240Z turned the automotive world upside down. That little Jap 2 seater was equal in performance to Porcshe's 911 at better then half the price !! And it would even run door knob to door knob with a mid-70s Trans AM upto about 100 mph! So yes ............... we are interested in the 350Z and will it live upto its family heritage.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of folks are hitting the nail on the head. We are automotive enthusiasts. This is the Car Talk forum and we are here to discuss different cars. Not necessarily how they relate to the S2000, but it comes up.

Much of the "Z" bashing you are referring to occurs within the Street Encounters forum, which is another beast in itself. Still, I don't think it's that severe. We talk about all cars and someone stated it perfectly, (Hootsama) maybe it's the "new kid on the block" syndrome.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:33 PM
J.T

I wanna know why everyone who knows I just bought an S asks me why I didn't buy the new Z.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not OK!~ Avatar
Old 12-14-2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by I am Jack's VR6
I am aware that this is the Car Talk Forum. That is why I posted a question about a car other than the S2K here...

Do you think the threads about the Z only pop up here? I have seen numerous threads in the Street Encounters Forums and I am sure others exist elsewhere.

I really feel like I am going over the same points over and over again...

My question is why do S2K owners feel the need to bash the Z? Are they really that insecure about their car (or something else)? Both are amazing machines. I just don't understand why this goes on...
Ok Jack, I will tell you what. Because some people feel the Z should have had more power. I am one of them. I owned several 300TT and with very little work, they would absolutely "slaughter" (I am borrowing this term from Shiri ) a 3-fitty no problem. I like the 350 and it grows on me but am I disappointed? Without a doubt.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:12 AM

I've Z-bashed on s2ki. But only as part of a game, simply because there has been no other competition until now. Maybe it's cause the Z smacks of a modern muscle-car -- the quintessential car whose owner doesn't appreciate what the S2000 has to offer. I have a friend, and a friend-of-a-friend w/ a new Z, and I have given them nothing but props on a good choice. If you ask me, any Z bashing going on is there because of the stereotype of muscle cars and their owners since long long ago. When the Rx8 comes out, I don't see myself bashing that AT ALL.

But yes, all along, the S2000 has needed a bit of defending (the low-torque argument has been around since Day 1, and many people use the low-torque argument to judge the car in its entirety). I believe I speak for most S2000 owners, when I say that we know better than to judge the car for it's relative-to-its-class low torque, because we've had the luck to drive one and experience what the car is really about.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:40 PM

The 350Z isn't a bad car.. it's good enough for most people..

The S2000 is for those people who think the 350Z is not enough
Old 12-14-2002, 03:07 PM

So, should I get a S2k if i think that the 350Z does not have enough tourqe for a daily driver?

Originally posted by sHaObEn (=.=)
The 350Z isn't a bad car.. it's good enough for most people..

The S2000 is for those people who think the 350Z is not enough
Old 12-15-2002, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by r6e36
So, should I get a S2k if i think that the 350Z does not have enough tourqe for a daily driver?

probably not.....then the Sentra SE-R is probably good enough for you sir...

Quick Reply: Why are S2K owners so fasinated with the 350Z?