Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why are S2K owners so fasinated with the 350Z?

Old 12-15-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um if you check the 350Z board you will see the reverse.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by countach
What is 350Z?

Ah, I just found it on the web... uh... here in Europe we don't have this ugly thing... thanks.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:38 PM

I think most of the ire that was initially directed at the 350Z was a result of Nissan's pathetic attempt to compare the car with the Honda in what is generally considered (by both camps) to be one of the most error-ladden pieces of OURS vs. THEIRS spec sheets ever produced. It was comical to read and an embarassment to any well-seasoned Nissan salesperson. Whoever signed off on that nonsense should have been fired. The car itself doesn't speak but that attempt to knock the Honda spoke volumes.
Otherwise, the 350Z is a welcome addition to the enthusiast camp and I've found most owners to be very cool...it's Nissan themselves that tried their best to set the tone, negatively I might add.
Hell, if it gives us a 280hp S2000 two years from now, maybe I should thank the lying bastards.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:51 PM

I love how upset everyone got over what was essentially supposed to be a sales tool to help non college graduates sells cars they know little about, and to help them understand their competition of which they know nothing about. I'm sorry people, but the 2 Honda dealers I've meet have been as ignorant about their own cars as mine. For people to get mad because an internal document state misinformation regarding a competitors car is a joke. Bottom line, if you come in and say, I'm looking to buy a new car and it's between a Z and an S2K help me decide what do you think a Nissan dealer is going to tell you? He is going to try hard as hell to sell you a Z AND he might even make nonfactual statements about another car, and if you are stupid enough to believe what he says at face value, well then I got a couple of bridges to sell you.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LA-Z
[B]I love how upset everyone got over what was essentially supposed to be a sales tool to help non college graduates sells cars they know little about, and to help them understand their competition of which they know nothing about.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:15 AM

I love how upset everyone got over what was essentially supposed to be a sales tool
People didn't get upset that Nissan paid S2000 owners a compliment by choosing the car as a barometer, rather they were rightfully annoyed that the literature was potmarked with inaccuracies. It's sort of like posting a retraction by writing, "we're sorry we called Mr. So and So a scum sucking leech."
"...to help them understand their competition of which they know nothing about." Apparently, it wasn't only the salespersons who knew little about the S2000 eh? I'm sorry people, but the 2 Honda dealers I've meet (sic) have been as ignorant about their own cars as mine.
No one expects most salespersons to be enthusiasts. You're missing the point of my entire post. S2000 owners could care less how many factoids salespersons know about the S2000 but obviously when a company produces a comparison sheet that FURTHER accents the stupidity, why wouldn't anyone be annoyed? It seems to me you're saying it's OK for car companies to write inaccurate information on the competition because people expect salespersons to be ignorant. ?????????
For people to get mad because an internal document state misinformation regarding a competitors car is a joke.
First off...if it's being passed out to customers, it's not INTERNAL and if the information from the document is being passed out to customers, again...the inaccuracies within ARE NOT INTERNAL. Speaking as a former journalist, shoddy research (which was a simple Google search away for Pete's sake) is nothing to joke about. You seem to be straddling the fence here. On one hand, you're angry that the Honda salesfolk you encountered were not up to par with their S2000 knowledge yet the rest of us can't be equally annoyed about Nissan's S2000 knowledge, afterall...they're the ones who created the misinformation campaign.
Bottom line, if you come in and say, I'm looking to buy a new car and it's between a Z and an S2K help me decide what do you think a Nissan dealer is going to tell you?
What I expect is an ACCURATE presentation, albeit slanted. What I DON'T expect is to have a salesperson echo half-truths and plain ole' ignorance NOT because he didn't have the time to do his own research, rather the info given to him has all the accuracy of a grocery checkout tabloid.
if you are stupid enough to believe what he says at face value, well then I got a couple of bridges to sell you.
Once again, it's because owners were NOT stupid enough to believe Nissan's idiocy which created the annoyance.
Whichever side you come down on (and most folks I know agree that document should NEVER have been printed...it was an embarassment to Nissan), in the end, all of us should side with accuracy. The 350z stands well enough on its own without having newbie salesfolks telling prospective owners "did you know you can't put a full size tire in the S2000's trunk?"
Old 12-17-2002, 11:32 AM

"First off...if it's being passed out to customers, it's not INTERNAL and if the information from the document is being passed out to customers, again...the inaccuracies within ARE NOT INTERNAL"
It was NEVER supposed to be passed out to customers, bottom line. That is my main point. Bottom line, if a Nissan dealer says, the S2K is a no-torque having, 4 liter, slow 0-60 in 7.1 seconds unreliable piece of crap, that would be def. misinformation. Again I state, So WHAT? It is not nissans responsbility to have proper information about their comptetitors. Bottom line, my point wasnt' that the Honda dealer made me mad becuase of his ignorance, it's something you take with a grain of salt. I bought a rug this weekend, the guy selling me it swears that the guy down the street has crappy rugs and will rip me off. True? Doubt it. Same with car dealers. Go in and ask a honda dealer to compare an S2K to a 350Z see what he says.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:49 PM

[B] It is not nissans responsbility to have proper information about their comptetitors.