Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Beater-nomics - the deed is done

Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Oct 28 2009, 05:26 AM
I rarely crack 10k per annum, so not the motorway miles that probably give the best pay back.

That said, if it's only going to be beans to sort out, presumably worth it ...
If you're onlt doing 10k per year then i'd forget about LPG. My only LPG experience was a company Focus and its was absolute crap! In fact, so crap in fact I would never consider driving an LPG converted car! We had 5 or 6 at the time in the company, Focus and Mongdeos and most had problems, such as cutting out, kangerooing, hesitation, making driving sometimes very dangerous. Stick with the unleaded, a £2500 conversion wont pay anyway unless you do a fair chunk of miles..
Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Sorry, didnt see the bit that you mentioned the LPG was already installed
Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Shisk,

The steering numbness is caused by your recirculating balls. The Germans prefer vague steering for hamfisted Autobahnstormers; their cars aren't really handlers, especially with the big castor angles they like instead of camber. You've been spoiled by the rack & pinion setups, which the Brits and Ities and Japs prefer for fun on their windy roads.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Nov 6 2009, 07:05 PM
Not sure if it's a fuse. I can hear faint electric motor noises when I use the button but no movement from the roof. The manual refers to the location of the hand crank to open/close the roof in the case of a failure but this is now inaccessible due to the LPG tank. I'm wondering if, as a result of this, it's somehow been locked in the closed position.
The seal may just have stuck with age
I had this on the Scorpio
Try pressing the button and giving it a thump then regrease if it works
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Nov 7 2009, 03:07 PM
Often with electric sunroofs it is the operating cable that needs lubrication - in many cars it runs down one of the windscreen pillars.

If the LPG is not working, it might be worth takin the tank out to manually operate the sunroof and lubricate if that's the problem.

You need to be careful with the electrics, if you're not careful the motor will burn out...
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Nov 7 2009, 03:07 PM

I'll check if I can get access to the hand crank before I risk giving it a thump. I don't want to find it opens a few inches and then won't close.

Nice weather this morning so may go and take some photos.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Nov 6 2009, 07:05 PM
Not sure if it's a fuse. I can hear faint electric motor noises when I use the button but no movement from the roof. The manual refers to the location of the hand crank to open/close the roof in the case of a failure but this is now inaccessible due to the LPG tank. I'm wondering if, as a result of this, it's somehow been locked in the closed position.
I warned you about this

clearly not a fuse - almost certainly seized through lack of use

hand crank is usually only used when the motor has failed, so it might help you get the roof open and closed

I would get it open and then spray some penetrating oil then coppergrease in all directions - hand crank a few times - more oil and repeat - before using the motor again

this is the sort of job that could take forever and cost a fortune...
Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You might fing it's just the rubber seal that's jammed.

Try spraying it with Holt's Silly...

Car's probably got aircon; who bothers with a draughty sunroof anyway?

If you wanted summer breezes, should have bought an SEC instead - hardtops are cool. And less draughty.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Nov 8 2009, 01:48 PM
Car's probably got aircon; who bothers with a draughty sunroof anyway?

If you wanted summer breezes, should have bought an SEC instead - hardtops are cool. And less draughty.
It doesn't actually, and according to the owner's manual, it's missing quite a few of the other options that could have been loaded. Electric seats, but no memory, equally not heated. A cooking Sonderklasse* ...

Glorious day up here but with a bright, low sun that was more than my phone camera's automatic exposure could cope with. A shame really, because the big windfarm at Whitelee (Europe's biggest, don't you know) presents some excellent photo ops. Think I should have gone later in the day as the sun would have been at a better angle.

The horizon in the shot below should be littered with wind turbines, but they're over-exposed into oblivion ...

* Having defected to MB, and having been in awe of Mr Grave's encyclopedic knowledge, I'm having fun reading as much as I can about the history (and associated jargon) of MB and the S Klasse ...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

lovely old motor

Quick Reply: Beater-nomics - the deed is done