Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Car suggestions? - 4WD Saloon/4WD diesel car

Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Get a diesel Jag?
BM and Audi have harsh rides these days, you had an e90 330D already didnt you?

I would get an auto too and def a diseasel for miles, the newer green turbo petrols are equally hateful

The Nissan Qasqhooow or however its spelt is 4wd, comfy and diesel but likely a dog to drive
Yes, the Sport can be harsh but SE is your comfier wafter. Terrible seats in the SE though, unless they've been spec upgraded.
Sport is by no means terribly crashy, as I remember. I'd have another in a heartbeat. It's better than the A5 and easier to meddle with under the bonnet.
With this sort of issue changing from a Fabby, I'd be looking at class leading motors. Then the opposition/alternative cheapo barges.
If you like BMs, don't discount a 10 year old 730d on 20's. Gansta looks with limo like ride. Getting very cheap now and worth a punt with 35mpg+, oodles of equip. Almost Wheeler Dealer territory, Brewer is bound to scoop one before he corks it.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1438685406' post='23703152
If you can tolerate the trim squeaks in cold weather, get a Leg End. You'll get a minter for buttons (enough not have to worry about pumping cheapskate cancer-liquid into it) and the handling is utterly fantastic in manual mode. Seats/ergonomics are leagues ahead of that VAG-shite, despite the design being a decade old.
Boot smaller than Accord and an odd shape, cramped rear with low roofline, bland looks, short wheelbase for its long body. It's certainly not a winner in its sector, good at some things, not great at being an exec winner though. But great handling as expected. At most a 3/5 car but to me a leg end represents just value for money. So does a Hyundai Coupe, but I don't particularly ever want one.
As for Vag seating, have you sat in one lately? The hatches are spot on. Interior on the Gulf is almost flawless in comparison to the last model which was too like the mk5. Now it's perhaps Audi-esque clinical. Perhaps that's a bad thing and steals it from gaining character, who knows.
I don't mind a DC2 interior, you're not arsed about it. A comfort car needs to cosset. And be appealing to look at. Honda were a decade behind on that interior in the ledge.
As usual, my views are nearly 100% juxtaposed to yours, Tony.

The Leg End's visibility is poor, but not nearly as rubbish at it and the ergonomics are in every piece of VAG shite I've ever sat in. Some of the seats (not all) are decidedly odd.

I perversely prefer the Leg End's bland/oddly-FWD looks to the frankly comical appearance of recent Audis, which scream "I'm a thrusting little bellend" even if the driver's trying not to be in any way. And since it's usually about going down the road in a hooligan fashion, I don't see much of it anyway. The only car in the segment that looks pretty is the XF and that is even more space-compromised as a consequence.

The Leg End's 5-speed GB and loooong change delay are hilariously archaic and mean slow acceleration, but that can be a relaxing counterpoint to the constant hunting of many modern 21-speed derailleur transmissions. And the J35 is still one of the best V6s around.

And although the Leg End has its weaknesses (usually battery-related, rather than the few real mechanical weaknesses) it's very reliable for a car whose technology was at least a decade ahead of its time. At the time...

So AFAIAC, you can keep the Emperor's New Clothes and I'll stick to the tatty jeans, thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This 4WD saloon is on my wish-list; a used Lexus LS600h L

Anonymous to look at - aside from its size - but with 4WD, a 5.0-litre 388bhp V8 petrol engine and a 221bhp electric motor, it packs a system power of 439bhp.

That's good for 0-62mph in 6.3sec, 155mph, and an average 30.4mpg.

And there's the interior too...

Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-LEXUS...item4d356807f0

20k .... not THAT bad considering
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Polemicist
This 4WD saloon is on my wish-list; a used Lexus LS600h L

Anonymous to look at - aside from its size - but with 4WD, a 5.0-litre 388bhp V8 petrol engine and a 221bhp electric motor, it packs a system power of 439bhp.

That's good for 0-62mph in 6.3sec, 155mph, and an average 30.4mpg.

And there's the interior too...

Wonderfully left-field choice, Mark! Nicely understated elegance & that interior...

Is that whistling the sound of the electric motor, or the depreciation?

It's only really the reports of the usually Toyota-numb driving experience that would put me off, despite my misgivings about it having space and mass-wasting 'two powertrains'.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice!

I've now got my eye on a Jag XF 3.0 or a Lexus IS220D but luxury SE models - not 4WD though.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:03 AM

I don't believe Jaag offer (m)any 4WDers on this side of the pond. New F-Type excepted...
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend called around last Friday with a car he had on long test drive; a 'Jagwaaar' XJ, with 275bhp oil-burner. He's after an XF, but they didn't have one to try with the engine he's interested in.

A gorgeous looking car, but it wasn't a 'proper'Jag' IMHO. The inside was a gimmick-laden fest, with rather tacky chrome plated plastic everywhere. The LCD instrumentation was very nice, as was the Meridian HiFI.

But it suggested to me a up-to-date one of these.

Perhaps if the XJ had been powered by the supercharged 5.0 V8 I may have been more favourably predisposed towards it, but it left me feeling a bit meh...
Old 08-05-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1438730098' post='23703983
[quote name='Nick Graves' timestamp='1438685406' post='23703152']
If you can tolerate the trim squeaks in cold weather, get a Leg End. You'll get a minter for buttons (enough not have to worry about pumping cheapskate cancer-liquid into it) and the handling is utterly fantastic in manual mode. Seats/ergonomics are leagues ahead of that VAG-shite, despite the design being a decade old.
Boot smaller than Accord and an odd shape, cramped rear with low roofline, bland looks, short wheelbase for its long body. It's certainly not a winner in its sector, good at some things, not great at being an exec winner though. But great handling as expected. At most a 3/5 car but to me a leg end represents just value for money. So does a Hyundai Coupe, but I don't particularly ever want one.
As for Vag seating, have you sat in one lately? The hatches are spot on. Interior on the Gulf is almost flawless in comparison to the last model which was too like the mk5. Now it's perhaps Audi-esque clinical. Perhaps that's a bad thing and steals it from gaining character, who knows.
I don't mind a DC2 interior, you're not arsed about it. A comfort car needs to cosset. And be appealing to look at. Honda were a decade behind on that interior in the ledge.
As usual, my views are nearly 100% juxtaposed to yours, Tony.

The Leg End's visibility is poor, but not nearly as rubbish at it and the ergonomics are in every piece of VAG shite I've ever sat in. Some of the seats (not all) are decidedly odd.

I perversely prefer the Leg End's bland/oddly-FWD looks to the frankly comical appearance of recent Audis, which scream "I'm a thrusting little bellend" even if the driver's trying not to be in any way. And since it's usually about going down the road in a hooligan fashion, I don't see much of it anyway. The only car in the segment that looks pretty is the XF and that is even more space-compromised as a consequence.

The Leg End's 5-speed GB and loooong change delay are hilariously archaic and mean slow acceleration, but that can be a relaxing counterpoint to the constant hunting of many modern 21-speed derailleur transmissions. And the J35 is still one of the best V6s around.

And although the Leg End has its weaknesses (usually battery-related, rather than the few real mechanical weaknesses) it's very reliable for a car whose technology was at least a decade ahead of its time. At the time...

So AFAIAC, you can keep the Emperor's New Clothes and I'll stick to the tatty jeans, thanks.
[/quote]

Chalk & cheese me and you ya see...
Before I start, I think the Hybrid Lex is more like 25mpg real world if it's got all that poke. Let's be honest if you use it, mpg collapses. Lovely interior there though. But on the face of doing considerable mileage, you got to aim for at least 40's mpg to make a big wafter worth it - unless you've got buckets of cash. This as the OP says, is 8k. That counts out this techno saloon that frankly, if I could afford to do big miles in a 3.5 V6, it would not be in that thing, no matter how it handles. I concede, if it was petrol it would be 330i for me as they can be mid thirties when tickled. Or an M3 I wonder.
In Japan, style doesn't really count. Everyone has the same hair, samey clothes, same want for electronics. F@ck vanity. And to hell with design looks and interior looks. Even most of the cars look the same - like the legend. It could be a Toyota if you take the silver stickers off - it's bland. I appreciate the outstanding work beneath the bonnet, and the electro gimmicky stuff. The Japs are ambitious and have created some quite remarkable machines, I love Japan for that. I believe the sister sledge was a bit of overkill for the yanks .. Yeah impress them that'll work. So good for you having one, they are a bit of a Q car secret with an outstanding motor. Side point. The funniest thing that has never changed over the years with Jap cars, is the crude white writing that says ON or OFF, or AIR CON. Always big, bold capitals. Do they know what subtle means?
Alfas are the prettiest no matter how unreliable they can be. I've had a few Hondas over the years, and ignored the interiors and shiny momo steering wheels because they were performance things. Jags are great cars now, although not proper as said. They got a bit plasticky and grown fat bumpers but.. still smell of tartan rug on the rear shelf. So it's a good thing. If that's your bag go for it, they haven't got a bad image and are great value. They shade the big Hondas IMO.
Diesels are terrible, I agree. But as boring as they are, and non electric, they save you cash. The only reason to want one IS if you hang around on the long straights for ages. And want no effort with overtakes.
The argument rages "why have a powerful diesel" then? Always has, always will. It all points to one reason. One. Depends on how much of a tw@t you want to be on the motorway. Because you ain't getting past! Personally, as I've got older, somewhere in the middle is what I aim at. So there's some fun possible, without affecting economy. (Fun in a diesel... WHAT??!!) The OP owning a remapped Fabby likes then a wallop of torque. There's lots of choice for him.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Tell the truth - you'd be happy in a world where the only choice was a MK4 Golf or a BMW330D :-P

Leftfield choice ....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c9d181058

And on the basis is till clearly do 181,000 miles ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TOUAREG...item23562c4ea0

A slightly newer nicer one

Quick Reply: Car suggestions? - 4WD Saloon/4WD diesel car