Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Got my Elise today!

Old 06-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Elise today!

Positive conclusions so far? Cornering is incredible, steering feel dumbfounding, acceleration leaves most things for dead off the line and rolling when the engine is on cam, and the engine note is absolutely fantastic. Alarm and stereo are also very good.

Negatives? I'm still getting used to the initial understeer so I'm not any quicker than I was in the S on my usual roads but, I can feel the potential whenever I get a bit brave. Like the S then, mastering the handling will take time.

On the motorway, the acceleration is incredible, but you are a lot more susceptible to the wind, given the weight. It is not a car you could drive happily for 30 odd miles a day on the motorway, it's just too hardcore. Thankfully I don't need to do that, and for my daily commute the 111R is perfect.

Overall, I am over the moon. The car has a gorgeous golden sheen thanks to the lifestyle colour my car is spec'd with called Chilli Red. I've tried to capture it in the pictures, but don't think they do the colour justice. It's a solid red in normal light, but in direct sunlight it reacts and has an orage/gold glow. Beautiful.

Oh, and on the way home I stopped in at a mate's to take him out in it. He owns a chipped S3, and he couldn't believe the punch in the back when the engine gets above 6000rpm, and giggled uncontrolably whenever it did. On the way back we we pull up at a set of lights on a long dual carriageway. A mint looking Caterham 7 pulls up alongside.

We exchange pleasantriess, and a few blips of our respective throttles (both of us have grinning passengers in our cars, then the lights change to green. The Elise is quicker off the line, but not by much, then the Toyota engine comes on cam and I soar ahead with a loud scream from the exhaust. After that I just keep pulling, but I slowed to let him pass again and waved as he hammered by. Both my mate and I were laughing about it alll the way home. What a great way to begin a car's ownership experience.

Off out to drive again, but here are some pics since I've got it home:

Old 06-24-2006, 03:48 AM

Good write up, but what are you doing on here when you could be driving the thing?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Banned

I need to eat - I haven't had anything since last night, didn't sleep well (too excited) and I feel light headed.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:53 AM

Looks good but how spartan inside. Mind you it probably weighs as much as my 'ruffled' seats

I need to get out in mine and do a proper write up. But I'm far too hungover.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fieldl,Jun 24 2006, 12:53 PM
Looks good but how spartan inside. Mind you it probably weighs as much as my 'ruffled' seats

I need to get out in mine and do a proper write up. But I'm far too hungover.
Yep, nothing in it at all. I expected my Audi owning friend (he's just bought a 2.0T FSI to replace the S3) not to get it, but he instantly understood why there's bugger all in it, and saw the value in the approach.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:08 AM

Very Nice
Old 06-24-2006, 05:15 AM

Looks really good in that colour, i looked at one of these but it only drives well on tight twisties (whch i know youve said before is what youll use it for so thats fine) as the noise is really grating on a long run -also i couldnt put up with getting in and out of it (particularly in a suit) when its been raining and the sills are full of muck and youve gotta drag yourself over them every time you stop for a pint (of milk) or something...
Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 AM
ge2

Very nice but I've heard that if you don't take it on track at least once a year Lotus send a man round to confiscate it.

That might not be true.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:41 AM

Looks stunning BB and dont waste a minute of the gorgeous weather we're having at present!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:50 AM

What gorgeous weather?

Quick Reply: Got my Elise today!