Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Looking for Lotus advice

Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As per ultra, let's deal with the negatives. The gearbox is dreadful compared to the s. It is extremely vague and that vagueness can cause you to be unsure about what gear you are in and which you want next. The mesh feels like a sea sponge. The s gearbox is the best I have ever had.

But, aside from that, the car is absolutely brilliant. That doesn't do it enough justice. Awesome. When I got in it at the old owner's house I felt nervous. It felt like I had to control things to make it work and when I had done a hundred or so miles it dawned on me as to why I loved it so much. I have had an epiphany tbh. Dramatic? Probably, but it's the best way I can describe it. Lots of more experienced drivers on here have talked about it but I have understood it for myself today. Nick g and gad talk about it a lot, ie the way manufs keep us away from the road with their gadgets but i have realised it for myself today. TBH the s was detached as well. As I am typing this I am recollecting the sensation of connecting with the road, the lack of power steering, that is strange. I'm actually thinking about how it felt to drive. Amazing. To think about how the drive feels when you are in your house says a lot. Never happened to me before. I go away tomorrow but will have a razz before I go.

I was driving the car for the first few miles when I had collected it and when I went over dimples in the road and obscure country lane cambers the car would twitch and would dart about and I was thinking this is wrong. What's up with it. Why does it keep jabbing left and right. In old country lanes it felt like I had to keep it straight by inputting to the wheel. And as above, miles in and it made complete sense, this was how it should be and the fact I thought something was up was demonstrative of how I have been polluted by power steering, servos and other gadgetry. I have been changed. It sounds ridiculous I know but I mean it. I have not 'driven' properly before and my god thanks to Nott (gayer) for convincing me to keep the beater and try a driver's car. I'm ruined now though because I thought I knew what being connected with the road was with my s but I didn't and now the bar has been raised again.

This sounds ridiculous, really it does but if you haven't experienced this type of car you really have to. Lots here have been before me and I'm a bit annoyed by myself for taking so long to get this sensation but I have it now. The fact I have no brake servos or power steering or any other gadget suggests to me that it won't get too much rawer, so I could be up there in sensation, but, maybe there are better things to feel... The atoms or westies etc but I feel that I have had a brilliantly productive day. Best ever in my driving history for a very modest car/price.

If you have not tried one of these, you should if only for a short while. I expect the old s1s don't cost a great deal, they would permit entry and then could be sold on a little cost. It is like having a cart on the road which needs to be coached to it's destination not just pointed. My word. That's pretty profound but very right. These cars are coached to where you want them to go. Not just pointed. That's it. That is actually f**king it. Coaching takes effort and brings reward.

And... I now have a hatred for the other two cars I own. Both German. Both diesel. Both very functional. Both asinine on a driving level.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

and an awesome write up - one who has seen a light.

Hmmmm ....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:32 PM

To simplify things in light of a net chat I just had with a close friend when discussing my previous (rs4) car...

The rs4 is like fu*kin the super model of your dreams wearing a condom. The elise is like f*ckin that ok bird from next door which has given you the eye a few times and when you get to do it she just insists on oiling you up, cupping your balls and staring into your eyes whilst she does so.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

So, more an automotive lust affair than a love affair, as described?

Analogy is wrong. What you described is visceral.

Bet you can't sleep
Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then Col, you gonna come on our Sunday NW driving meet since you're in the area?

And yes, Se7ens are another step on (And Radicals another step on from that) but truth be told you can't really enjoy them unless you are floating through corners and you can only do that at a track.

Of course, the Elise works well there too Blyton Park on 8th Sept, be good to see you there
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gear linkage can be improved, look on EliseParts website. It's easy to access with the undertray removed. £40 ish and a few hours.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RUSS H
The gear linkage can be improved, look on EliseParts website. It's easy to access with the undertray removed. £40 ish and a few hours.
OOOOhhh

That's happening. I'm going larini as well, I think.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Well then Col, you gonna come on our Sunday NW driving meet since you're in the area?

And yes, Se7ens are another step on (And Radicals another step on from that) but truth be told you can't really enjoy them unless you are floating through corners and you can only do that at a track.

Of course, the Elise works well there too Blyton Park on 8th Sept, be good to see you there
Why the heck not! I am pretty elite though so don't get embarrassed. I will hold back for lesser drivers though.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM

I have just posted on the Lotus Owners forum...

This whole thing is absolute fate - I know it and it feels completely right. On my old S2000 I bought a private plate from a fellow forum member about 11 years ago...

...and yes, that was illegally spaced

Well, I kept that reg on retention when that car was sold.... all those 75 quids, all those years - I did many things in between, had cars, but nothing ever felt deserving of that reg. So I just kept it on retention...

I looked and thought and pondered on what would make me happy on an automotive level and of all people, my wife recently said why not get a weekend toy, why not get a little lotus 'thing'.

And so it happened. And I am at one with the car - love it.

And that reg above.... when you space it legally......are you thinking what I'm thinking?

It's fate. It took 11 years, but it's going back on deserving metal.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

http://pigroll.com/92_meanwhile-in-england.html

Chesh .... is this how you feel about your new toy

I'd post the pic .... but it's a bit 'NSFW' hahaha

Quick Reply: Looking for Lotus advice