Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

new trend

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mole,Jul 21 2009, 09:13 AM
One thing that always amazes me and its true of aprox 90% of bikers I see is that they still feel he need to hang on your rear drivers side 1/4 despite the power. As the cars I own get faster the need to be as close for overtaking decreases yet bikers cant seem to compute this!
On single carriageway the majority of bikes plan to make quicker progress than the majority of cars, because it is much easier.

You are coming up to slower moving traffic always anticipating you will have the opportunity to pass it quickly, so the temptation is there to stay closer to the vehicle in front for longer than is necessary. In contrast to the car when you often have to resign yourself to sitting on line as safe overtaking opportunities are unlikely to present themselves.

I expect the fact that most following bikes will be overtaking, unlike cars, coupled with the fact that they are anticipating a quick overtake so they are staying closer than they really should, is why they always seem to be up your arse.

Campervans, artics, etc probably feel the same way about cars

High level headlights, which are mostly on, doesn't help the driver in front to feel relaxed about some leatherclad nutter close behind either.

I can't say I have often been held up by slow bikers up here, although large groups can be a PITA as I am never sure of the appropriate biker "etiquette" when they are packed sufficiently close together that you can't easily work your way to the front
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by euan,Jul 21 2009, 10:19 PM
On single carriageway the majority of bikes plan to make quicker progress than the majority of cars, because it is much easier.

You are coming up to slower moving traffic always anticipating you will have the opportunity to pass it quickly, so the temptation is there to stay closer to the vehicle in front for longer than is necessary. In contrast to the car when you often have to resign yourself to sitting on line as safe overtaking opportunities are unlikely to present themselves.

I expect the fact that most following bikes will be overtaking, unlike cars, coupled with the fact that they are anticipating a quick overtake so they are staying closer than they really should, is why they always seem to be up your arse.

Campervans, artics, etc probably feel the same way about cars

High level headlights, which are mostly on, doesn't help the driver in front to feel relaxed about some leatherclad nutter close behind either.

I can't say I have often been held up by slow bikers up here, although large groups can be a PITA as I am never sure of the appropriate biker "etiquette" when they are packed sufficiently close together that you can't easily work your way to the front
I always have my headlight on...without fail. It's so the dickhead numpty car drivers out there have a better chance of seeing me. I have a reflective jacket for night riding (or is that knightriding ) too.

A group of bikers on a rideout is no different to a group of S2000 owners going out for a drive.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

two lane carriageways are the worst

sweet Jesus - how bad is the A34 and the A27 around Ringwood?

at least motorways make it harder for people to be bloody obstructive (car drivers)

less bikers on motorways too

sadly, today wll be another bad one

there's usually a serious or fatal involving a bike most Sundays round here