Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Restoring cars

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Feb 6 2008, 04:33 PM
Restoring old cars is usually a CWOT (like Gad say) and like driving an ueber-Audi, a positive test for middle-aged crisisness.
It all depends why you're doing it.

I have two classics - my definition, not others - a 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV and an 1978 Fiat X1/9 Lido.

The Lincoln was an impulse purchase because I have always loved the shape of the '72 and, like the '59 Cadillac Eldorado, it is completely bonkers in today's sanitised, CO2 obsessed world. I rejoice that it gets little over 7 mpg from its 7.5 litre big block and that it has one of the longest 'hoods' every produced by an American manufacturer... not to mention electric sliding rear windows, ABS on the rear axle and automatic headlights. And then there's the white vinyl upholstery...

My '78 X1/9 is nostalgia pure and simple. As a 17 year old I worked with a fortunate youth in the school holidays whose father bought him a new X1/9 Lido for his 17th birthday - I wanted one ever since. I've had two 1500 X1/9s in the period between getting the Lido. Strangely the Lido may just cover what I've put into it cash-wise, but that's not the reason for doing it and I don't care. It reminds me of some great days, it is a remarkable handler (no anti roll bars) and is quite amazing that it can accommodate my 6' 3" height and be so small, so commodious and relatively speaking, so safe. It is one of the very few cars that allegedly passed the proposed American 80 mph rollover test.

Working on the car and obtaining parts is the main fun of a classic for me - driving it comes second. I've been on a voyage of discovery with the X1/9 to obtain NOS parts for every exterior trim item and paid nearly
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having been there and done that many a time the S2000 was wasted on me really as i couldn't fiddle with it (making parts for a car is more fun than buying bits)

a quick rundown of what iv'e done resto's and upgrades

first resto was a 1500 MG Midget 1976

1968 Plymouth Barracuda was more of a get it running and driving better

bought 2 Mini's one a rotton race car with loads of good race bits and a partially modified Mini. so i built a stonking sprint Mini with no interior , roll cage, race tuned 1340 engine with webber 45 and straight cut gearbox , straight cut drop gears and an LSD. cooper S brakes , all rose jointed , perspex windows and roadlegal lapped Goodwood faster than a Williams Clio

bought a crashed Renault 5 turbo cup race car, had it repaired and then registered it for the road (cost
Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Take a deep breath and

Click here for my mates renovation of my old 200SX
Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by markwneale,Feb 6 2008, 07:16 PM

But the X1/9 is a piece of art IMHO.

This is the Lido with faded paint before the start of the restoration.
i used to work for a Fiat dealer so had many a drive in an X/19

have fun changing the coolant pipes that run front to rear

one of my old bosses (after Fiat) had got loads of NOS fiat and lancia spares but had to throw it all away because he got moved from a workshop after all the locals objected about it being a workshop (only for another guy to move in and use it as a workshop )

just to make you sick there were loads of X/19 front and rear wings that went in the skip
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Met some on a Euro tour a few years back

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 AM

I'd be dangerous if I had a garage!

I bought the crusty remains of a Morris Minor when I was 16, taught myself to MIG weld and spray paint.

Having sworn I'd not do something like that again, I bought an Austin-Healey Sprite MkIV and rebuilt that from an absolute wreck.

Not sure what it is, but it's therapeutic in some ways - Probably a control freak thing, as it's destiny is in my hands. Having the Sprite was good, as I kept it in the garage for fun days. Coming home from work I used take it out and have a good drive, usually out the north of the city.

The restoration bit is also more satisfying when you rebuild or actually restor bits, as opposed to flinging money at things by buying new parts - Any fool can throw money at something.

Classics are long gone - bought a house instead.

Problem is the S2000 is also my everyday car, so you tend to lose that "treat" of driving.

I'm 31 now, and have the itchy fingers again. I've spent the last while knocking the house into shape, so creativity needs to be directed into a car project again.

I fancy an E-Type or a Big Healey

This got me thinking again - this guy did a huge amount of work himself.

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/xke/index.htm
Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 AM

There was an Alfa on Ebay a few weeks back - not a "stepped front" but it was ripe for restoration into a great track car GT/Junior affair.

I think it was up in Dundee. Scottish stuff can be good, as the target market is a bit smaller, hence the prices are lower.

In saying that, there is a vast amount of "restored" junk around.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=Bogsye,Feb 6 2008, 08:29 PM]

I fancy an E-Type or a Big Healey
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE=markwneale,Feb 6 2008, 06:16 PM] It all depends why you're doing it.

I have two classics - my definition, not others - a 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV and an 1978 Fiat X1/9 Lido.

The Lincoln was an impulse purchase because I have always loved the shape of the '72 and, like the '59 Cadillac Eldorado, it is completely bonkers in today's sanitised, CO2 obsessed world. I rejoice that it gets little over 7 mpg from its 7.5 litre big block and that it has one of the longest 'hoods' every produced by an American manufacturer... not to mention electric sliding rear windows, ABS on the rear axle and automatic headlights. And then there's the white vinyl upholstery...

My '78 X1/9 is nostalgia pure and simple. As a 17 year old I worked with a fortunate youth in the school holidays whose father bought him a new X1/9 Lido for his 17th birthday - I wanted one ever since. I've had two 1500 X1/9s in the period between getting the Lido. Strangely the Lido may just cover what I've put into it cash-wise, but that's not the reason for doing it and I don't care. It reminds me of some great days, it is a remarkable handler (no anti roll bars) and is quite amazing that it can accommodate my 6' 3" height and be so small, so commodious and relatively speaking, so safe. It is one of the very few cars that allegedly passed the proposed American 80 mph rollover test.

Working on the car and obtaining parts is the main fun of a classic for me - driving it comes second. I've been on a voyage of discovery with the X1/9 to obtain NOS parts for every exterior trim item and paid nearly
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=B0ZWELL,Feb 6 2008, 07:43 PM] if you do go this route then i suggest alot of research

one of these cars built up as a period race car with period mods and fia papers will be worth far more money that a nice restored standard car and wont cost too much more to do (remember when these cars were raced they were road cars modified slightly)

a good fia E type can be worth around

Quick Reply: Restoring cars